Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering XC90 Purchase

Views : 982

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 16:49   #1
jampott

I'm currently running around in an Audi S4 Avant, but want something a bit bigger, as I've got something else on order to satisfy the hooligan driver in me, I'm looking at a well specced 4x4 for carrying the family / dogs around...

The XC90 is currently very high on my list - I tried to like the Lexus RX400h but the interior REALLY let it down. Range Rover Sport is nice, but expensive. Disco 3 doesn't meet the girlfriend's approval, although to be honest she doesn't like the "pointy" (her word) front end of the XC90.

However, I took her to the local dealer at the weekend where they have a gorgeous looking bright red XC90 Sport in the showroom, with great wheels.

Spec is interesting though - I can't see why the Sport model is priced very similarly to the Lux. I know it has the chassis and 19" wheels, and the (£225 worth) Speed Dependent Steering, but apart from that, it is missing quite a lot from the "Lux" spec. Anyone put me straight on this, or is the "Lux" just better value.

I was considering the Exec, but think I'm now swaying towards a Lux, with the addition of some options:

RTI
Active Bi-Xenons
Premium Audio
Rear Headphone Sockets
Privacy Glass
PACS

Which only adds about £3500 onto the Lux spec, which is a LOT less than the price difference to the Exec model - which again, points to the Lux being good value.

Engine, I'll probably stick with the diesel - but should I be looking at the Geartronic or the Manual?

Has anyone fitted a different aftermarket set of headrest screens? If so, any problems in locating the DVD player?

Will the front unit (the RTI screen) take any video inputs, so could I route the DVD to that too?

I'm looking at carrying my dogs in a transit box, rather than having them roll around loose like they do at the moment. Should keep the hair off the interior and the nose smears off the windows. Presumably its easy enough to pickup a heavy duty bootliner to stick down?

Any other options I should consider? Anywhere special doing "deals" at the moment? I put the car (and some options) into "DriveTheDeal" and depending on gearbox, was returning quotes between low £36k (for the manual) up to mid £37k (for the Geartronic) so it seems pointless to even consider a 2nd hand one from a dealer forecourt, if I can buy new for that price. But if anyone knows of a car specced like I'm looking for with a dealer looking to "do a deal" I could be interested

I really should go and drive one - I was very impressed with the interior. Roomy and nicely functional and much nicer than the equivalent Lexus. A Q7 might be an interesting proposition, but to kit one out with the same toys as the XC90 costs way more than even the RRS HSE...
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:02   #2
perussell

You can see my comments about my XC90 in the adjacent 'Realistic Costs of Ownership' thread. I really like it but it has not been without a few "problems" many of which I think were design faults which will have been ironed out on the latest model.

The item I would question on your extras list is the RTI. I know it is a slightly different system (Hard-drive vs DVD) from my older model but I have been so appalled by the units performance that I now leave it sat down in the dash and use a Garmin Nuvi 310D portable unit I purchased from Halfords - not as big as RTI, less functionality etc etc but much better routing and better TMC traffic info. Check it out carefully before deciding to opt for the RTI unit - even the new system has drwan some criticisms in these pages. At 20% of the cost of the Volvo system you could afford to throw it away when it was out of date and buy a new one rather than updating the maps etc.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 14:02   #3
jampott

Quote:
Originally Posted by perussell View Post
You can see my comments about my XC90 in the adjacent 'Realistic Costs of Ownership' thread. I really like it but it has not been without a few "problems" many of which I think were design faults which will have been ironed out on the latest model.

The item I would question on your extras list is the RTI. I know it is a slightly different system (Hard-drive vs DVD) from my older model but I have been so appalled by the units performance that I now leave it sat down in the dash and use a Garmin Nuvi 310D portable unit I purchased from Halfords - not as big as RTI, less functionality etc etc but much better routing and better TMC traffic info. Check it out carefully before deciding to opt for the RTI unit - even the new system has drwan some criticisms in these pages. At 20% of the cost of the Volvo system you could afford to throw it away when it was out of date and buy a new one rather than updating the maps etc.
Thanks for the input - I have read a few of the threads on here regarding the RTI. I've actually been using TomTom since well before standalone Sat Nav units became popular, from v3 on an Ipaq right through to v6 on my HTC Universal and on my secondary Smartphone. As much as I like the "portable" solution, I've grown a little tired of having to worry about getting things fitted neatly, charging, removing from the vehicle, removing evidence of it being there so nothing gets stolen... etc etc. I would happily pay for a "built-in" solution or swap the factory HU for a nice screen-based system, but only the former option exists with the XC90. There doesn't appear to be any way to fit something like the AVIC X1 into the dash, as the HU is obviously made specifically for Volvo.

Perhaps I need the Volvo dealer to demo it so I can make my mind up...
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:12   #4
Genghis
Genghis

Hi Jampott

Similar to perussel I just made some comments in the other XC90 thread.

I have a fairly well-specced XC90 - mine has the inbuilt DVD's which the kids love and are quite easy to operate so maybe you could look at this option - also saves having a load of wires around the cars and tidying up the portable ones.

My car also has the RTI - like you I used to use a TomTom which I really liked but got annoyed about ensuring it was cleared away properly with no tell-tale signs as they are a popular targets these days for thiefs. After getting use to the RTI I actually really like it - it's POI are really good much better then the TomTom's and when you're in France or in an area you don't know then they have proved extremely useful to me - but if I bought the car brand new then I probably wouldn't have justified the huge cost to get it installed and would have stuck with the TomTom though I do love the way the in-built one slides in/out of the dash - it still cracks me up.

I bought one of the heavy rubber covers from e-bay - it's really good especially when the family goes for a walk in the forest nearby and then we can just throw everything in the back without worrying about marks etc.,

We looked around at lots of 4*4 and for a lot of them were actually disappointed in the boot size the Volvo seems really good in that regards

The volvo second hand website is quite good so recommend you have a look on there. Also when I was looking for mine I came across the XC90 ocean special edition (something like that) that had a very good spec so maybe you can see if these are still around.

I 've got a Diesel and a geartronic which I'm very happy with - wouldn't have wanted a manual (mainly due to living in London)

Hope this helps - enjoy looking around!!!
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote