Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 D2 or D3, automatic? Reliability?

Views : 26777

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2014, 15:09   #1
iristoi

Default V40 D2 or D3, automatic? Reliability?

Dear all,

I know that there have been few comments on D2 and D3 differences as well as advantages, but I still was not able to find the answers I seek.

I'm choosing between V40 D2 and D3 engines, automatic. The dealer advices to go for D3, because it will "sweat" less on autobahns and/or when the car is loaded (4 passangers, luggage).

I've test driven D2 powershift, it was fine (probably because I am a very calm driver). The car will be used for two persons in the city most of the time, ocassionally travelling longer routes on weekends. In any way I have a concern, I want to be sure that the engine will not have problems in 3 or 5 years. Therefore the reliability is important to me. I used to own German and Japansese diesel cars, but I have no clue about D2 ford/volvo engine. How reliable it is and whether I should better choose a bit more powerful engine (D3).

Another question relates to automatic transmission. D2 comes with powershift, D3 with geartronic. Which of these two is more reliable and preferrable? ...it's just that I want to have a car for 5 years without major investments (transmission service tends to be vey expensive).

Since I have never owned a volvo, I also wonder whether in general terms it's reliability is in par with German cars. Again...it has to do with the wish to forget about chassi/engine problems for at least 3 years, while the car is new.

I would greatly appreciate your help and advices.
iristoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 09:20   #2
NewVolvo
VOC Member

We own a V40 D4 Geartronic (same engine as D3 but with 180PS instead of 150PS) and it's fantastic. No regrets.

The engine and gearbox combo is brilliant with smooth gearchanges at all times and it returns good fuel economy when driven normally.

We opted for the D4 due to quite a lot of long distance driving and the engine certainly does not "sweat". On a recent trip to Poland and back it would happily cruise all day at 200+ km/h.

The 5-cyl diesel engine currently fitted in the D3 and D4 (Volvo change to new VEA 4-cyl in week 20) is an old, reliable design that has been well proven over many many years.

Go for the D3 Geartronic would be my recommendation.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 17:25   #3
goodinr
White D5 AWD RDesign Auto

Go for the D3 geartronic loads of overtaking power and cruising at high speed is no problem, I had a D2 manual as a loaner while mine was in for new bumpers (the paint peeling problem) and I know i will get flack for this but the D2 is a gutless lump and does not give the car the power it deserves.
goodinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 20:40   #4
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodinr View Post
Go for the D3 geartronic loads of overtaking power and cruising at high speed is no problem, I had a D2 manual as a loaner while mine was in for new bumpers (the paint peeling problem) and I know i will get flack for this but the D2 is a gutless lump and does not give the car the power it deserves.
I have the D2 powershift and the engine/gearbox fit well. I am not sure what the difference is in the geartronic.
I agree that the D2 is gutless - especially combined with the powershift. You have to drive very gently to get a reasonable consumption - my average is just over 50 mpg.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 21:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iristoi View Post
Dear all,

I know that there have been few comments on D2 and D3 differences as well as advantages, but I still was not able to find the answers I seek.

I'm choosing between V40 D2 and D3 engines, automatic. The dealer advices to go for D3, because it will "sweat" less on autobahns and/or when the car is loaded (4 passangers, luggage).

I've test driven D2 powershift, it was fine (probably because I am a very calm driver). The car will be used for two persons in the city most of the time, ocassionally travelling longer routes on weekends. In any way I have a concern, I want to be sure that the engine will not have problems in 3 or 5 years. Therefore the reliability is important to me. I used to own German and Japansese diesel cars, but I have no clue about D2 ford/volvo engine. How reliable it is and whether I should better choose a bit more powerful engine (D3).

Another question relates to automatic transmission. D2 comes with powershift, D3 with geartronic. Which of these two is more reliable and preferrable? ...it's just that I want to have a car for 5 years without major investments (transmission service tends to be vey expensive).

Since I have never owned a volvo, I also wonder whether in general terms it's reliability is in par with German cars. Again...it has to do with the wish to forget about chassi/engine problems for at least 3 years, while the car is new.

I would greatly appreciate your help and advices.
The D2 engine is fine , as long as it is not neglected they are doing quite high mileages already

The volvo 5 cylinder D4 is well tried as it has evolved from the D5 from 2002 rugged and feels much more than its rated horsepower due to it's torque which is similar to the D5 . Also it has a good "proper " auto gearbox and cam be very economical if you want it to be ...

OH and german cars go wrong too and their bills seem far more than volvo ones !
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 14:52   #6
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The D2 engine is fine , as long as it is not neglected they are doing quite high mileages already

The volvo 5 cylinder D4 is well tried as it has evolved from the D5 from 2002 rugged and feels much more than its rated horsepower due to it's torque which is similar to the D5 . Also it has a good "proper " auto gearbox and cam be very economical if you want it to be ...

OH and german cars go wrong too and their bills seem far more than volvo ones !
Our D4 does 53mpg (5.3 l/100kms) on a run at normal speeds and yes, I can to 100% confirm that German cars (namely Bmw in my case) can and do go wrong!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 21:53   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

As stated above D3 all the way, volvos tried and tested engine
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 12:33   #8
iristoi

Thank you all for your views and recommendations.
Before final decision, I tested D3 geartronic. And indeed the car felt much more lively than D2. So in the end I've order D3 geartronic. I'm worried a bit about extra fuel consumption I'll have to live with and geartronic. I've see quite a few posts that there are problems with geartronic... I hope I drew a lucky lottery ticket with the transmission. : )
iristoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 15:27   #9
goodinr
White D5 AWD RDesign Auto

Default D3

over last 13500 miles with a D3 Geartronic se lux I have averaged 45mpg, cant fault this car so far,
goodinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 15:30   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by iristoi View Post
Thank you all for your views and recommendations.
Before final decision, I tested D3 geartronic. And indeed the car felt much more lively than D2. So in the end I've order D3 geartronic. I'm worried a bit about extra fuel consumption I'll have to live with and geartronic. I've see quite a few posts that there are problems with geartronic... I hope I drew a lucky lottery ticket with the transmission. : )
Had you not considered the D4, as this is the latest new quicker, cleaner,more eco engine in the range?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote