Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Accessories

Views : 10958

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 14:56   #71
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC T ONE View Post
Hi Vintagewrench,

The manifolds & airfilter looks good, will they clear the innerwing ?

Jens Christian
Not in an 1800 but will fit in a 122S.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 15:24   #72
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagewrench View Post
Not in an 1800 but will fit in a 122S.
The manifolds and carbs fit but the orginal air filter housing hits the clutch M/C and steering knuckle (on the RHD cars)
There is surprising amount of room on the 1800, I'm some way from the inner wing.
Had this set up for 3 years and around 15K miles without incident.
R
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 22:22   #73
Vintagewrench

[QUOTE=tdz840;2350261]I have the Volvo Competition inlet kit fitted to my 1967 1800.
The carbs are actually Solex 45ADDHE (earlier versions may have used the 45DDHcarbs) and not weber DCOEs. They are the better carb but like Betamax the weber obtained a stranglehold.

Jets and chokes can be an issue but i now have plenty, accumulated over the last 4-5 years.

The kit also comes with an uprated fuel pump (mechanical) and i also have that but took the decision to fit a Electric Carter 4070 next to the tank which allows me to prime the fuel chambers before i start the car (i live on a hill!).Quote]

Hi Russ,

Yes, The Solex carbs are what Volvo did supply with the kit. Have tuned vintage racing cars with both carbs and prefer vintage Weber carbs, not the Spanish or Chinesse units on the market today. Webers are also easier and quicker to tune due to the screw in jets rather than the pressed in ones Solex used. Jets, chokes, and parts are also much easier to find here in the US.

Posted a photo above with a second set of Volvo Competition Services manifolds on a B20 FI head and the Volvo Competition pump so others can see what one looks like. It is much like the early pumps and has the priming lever, but the pump body itself is beefier on the side and uses threaded fittings.

The carbs on the manifolds in the first photos are 40DCOE Webers which are better suited to B18 engines, but 45's of either brand are proper for the larger B20 engine for which this setup was meant for. Both of my cars have still have the factory original engines with small clean up re-bores and I want to leave them that way.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Dec 24th, 2017 at 22:24.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 00:26   #74
tdz840
VOC Member

Hi Vintagewrench
I have plenty of jets now, most early alfas use the same carb. There is also a guy in Italy who machines jets and chokes to order.
The addhe also has screw in jets including the idle air correctors. You can also balance each barrel with an idle air balance screw.
I see on your FWD manifold the throttle bracket has two hex head bolts. These manifolds use a single throttle lever operating both carbs with a sync lever linking the AFT carb.
You will find clearance is tight and require a countersunk machine screws for clearance.

I have the same mechanical pump kits are still available as the pump is still used on some volvo marine engines. I found a spares kit by taking the part number in the competition manual and googling came up with an alternative which worked.

I decided to go electrical as the flow is more consistent for side drafts.
The engine also had a largish rebore from the standard B20.
Russ
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 10:56   #75
tdz840
VOC Member

It’s a shame photbucket doesn’t allow posting anymore.
Had to set up a Flickr account but not sure if this will go the same way as photobucket?
Since this picture has been taken I’ve made a grp plenum that is ducted from the nose cone.
Both noise and performance is substantially better.
Russ
https://flic.kr/p/EG8be7
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 13:25   #76
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Hi Vintagewrench
I have plenty of jets now, most early alfas use the same carb. There is also a guy in Italy who machines jets and chokes to order.

The engine also had a largish rebore from the standard B20.
Russ
Russ, Is Alfa1750 on Ebay a reliable source of Solex parts?

How large is your B20, 2100?
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 15:35   #77
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Russ, Is Alfa1750 on Ebay a reliable source of Solex parts?

How large is your B20, 2100?
Alfa1750 is spot on.
I have ended up buying just from him although a couple of Germans and an Australian support these carbs (carbies!)
Alfa 1750 is very reliable and if you have multiple purchases always refunds excess postage.
I have enough jets now as i can drill out or solder up AR. I have a set of 40 chokes but thats two big, for a daily driver (Currently running 36mm.). Possibly ok for a car which spends most of its time above 3k.
Its been bored 2100, head has 46/38.5 valves and cr is 11.7:1. Cam is a 312/297 but a 320 is going in this winter.
Russ
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 20:24   #78
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Alfa1750 is spot on.
I have ended up buying just from him although a couple of Germans and an Australian support these carbs (carbies!)
Alfa 1750 is very reliable and if you have multiple purchases always refunds excess postage.
I have enough jets now as i can drill out or solder up AR. I have a set of 40 chokes but thats two big, for a daily driver (Currently running 36mm.). Possibly ok for a car which spends most of its time above 3k.
Its been bored 2100, head has 46/38.5 valves and cr is 11.7:1. Cam is a 312/297 but a 320 is going in this winter.
Russ
What octane fuel does it need at that CR?
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 23:03   #79
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
What octane fuel does it need at that CR?
I run it on Tescos momentum (99RON) or Shell optimax (98Ron)
No det whatsoever but i have tight squish at just over 0.030’.
The pistons also have a ceramic coat on the crowns and ive carefully optimised the ignition (123tune) on a RR with a knock sensor.
We did have 102 Ron but that disapeared a while ago
I had the head off a year or two back and the ceramic coating and valves had no damage at all.
R
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 18:26   #80
Vintagewrench

Volvo of America photos of the Frig-A-King air conditioning system above that apparently became available for first time in the 1964 1800s models due to the heat build up in these cars and the poor pair of outside vents.

An evaporator and relocated heat-defrost-air control unit below in a 1968 or'69 model.

When viewed from eye level as seen in the bottom photo the unit appears to look smaller, but the black face "Volvo Air Conditioned" evaporator in that photo looks out of place when compared w/the earlier silver-face unit which blends in well.

One draw back to the system is under dash unit needs to be lowered for most work behind the dash board, but that was also necessary in US built cars with similar early systems.

The second generation AC became available on the 1970 1800E and can be fitted to these cars.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Dec 26th, 2017 at 18:30.