Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 windscreen bonding failure

Views : 31570

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 20:03   #1
DavidG

Default XC60 windscreen bonding failure

Today I have had to have the windscreen replaced on my July 2009 XC60 due to bonding failure along the top of the windscreen. It started to become apparent that there was a problem over the last few days with a sustantial water leak on the drivers side of the screen.
The car had to go to a windscreen company to be rectified, unfortunately the original screen cracked during removal, which is not unusual so a new screen was fitted. The fitter said that this was the second XC60 he had with the same problem, which he said was due to a poor primer when the car was built. In fact mine was so bad you could push the top of the screen out about 1/4 inch from inside the car.
As I have had the car since new and know it has not been mistreated this is not really what I would expect from a car not yet three and a half years old, which is a shame as I love the car
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 15:23   #2
Foringo

Default Another windscreen problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Today I have had to have the windscreen replaced on my July 2009 XC60 due to bonding failure along the top of the windscreen. It started to become apparent that there was a problem over the last few days with a sustantial water leak on the drivers side of the screen.
The car had to go to a windscreen company to be rectified, unfortunately the original screen cracked during removal, which is not unusual so a new screen was fitted. The fitter said that this was the second XC60 he had with the same problem, which he said was due to a poor primer when the car was built. In fact mine was so bad you could push the top of the screen out about 1/4 inch from inside the car.
As I have had the car since new and know it has not been mistreated this is not really what I would expect from a car not yet three and a half years old, which is a shame as I love the car
I've just noticed a wet patch on the carpet on front passenger side, so I'm wondering if I have the same problem. I'll spray some water on it to see if I can identify the source. If it's a failure of the windscreen bonding and needs to be redone are Volvo likely to pick up the cost as my warranty expired in Oct?
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 18:30   #3
thanosgr
Thanos

I have similar problem on my july 2009 XC60 on Driver site.
Water rolls on the windscreen.
In last rain i have water on the sender consol from the front roof light...
I have appointment with VOLVO dealer on Tuesday
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 18:26   #4
thanosgr
Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Today i confirm mine too.
Same car, same model, same date...
My dealer offer me to take it out put new sealeds and glue again.
I ask them what happen if the windscreen breaks?
The answer is "no problem, we break it we change it with new" !
The appointment is for the next week so they have time to order the new sealds and the windscreen (just in case...).
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 17:57   #5
Foringo

When screen was removed it was found that top of screen had not been bonded properly...just surprised it has taken this long to leak!

Anyway hopefully now resolved.
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 12:29   #6
Chris17W

Unhappy Leaking Windscreen XC60

I too have experienced this problem - vehicle now just 4 years old (43,000 miles).Unfortunately this had got onto/into the climate control panel fusing the circuit boards behind - total cost of repair £830.... Ouch.. Dealer was convinced I must have spilt water over it, despite my protestations as I hadn't been aware of a leak at that point. However a few days later I have just discovered water dripping from behind the rear view mirror. Car booked back in to find leak - but sounds like it needs replacement windscreen and re-sealing. The concern is could it just happen again and is it affecting the structural integrity of the car? This is a pity because I otherwise really like this car, which to date has been totally reliable. Indeed a colleague bought one on the strength of me raving about it....!
Chris17W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 22:13   #7
dentalan

Same problem here. XC60, 5 years old (March 2009) 140.000 km. In addition the door locks have been replaced (all 4 of them, and one of them replaced twice). I have owned several cars untill now. I never had this kind of poor quality. Never again volvo. Good engine but bad car.
Tomorow I am going to the dealer and ask them to fix it for free, even though the waranty is over. I hope they 'll accept it. One thing that bothers me is that under the windscreen inside the pillow is an airbag. Could it have been destroyed by the water?
dentalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 11:12   #8
polsesnabb

Default Airbag OK

By 2009 the XC60 was brand new. It is quite common, regardless of brand, that cars have more faults in their first year(s) of production. Having had several other cars of different brands and age, I could not say Volvo is worse or better than others. A leak from top of the windshield on several cars within a particular time of production, could be a singular employee-, robot-, or even the primer´s fault. I´m not too worried about the car in general-, let alone the whole brand, being useless. That said, on my first XC60 (MY10), I had several complaints, but all fixed under warranty. These were either Parking sensors or BLIS camera, the latter caused me many returns to the dealer, and several unsuccessful repairs.

On the upside: Windshields are worn, just like other parts on the car. If you swap it at 140.000 km it might be a good idea, regardless of the leak. I have swapped windshields on all my cars after 70-80.000. This due to wear from wipers and cracks from small pebbles.

As for the airbag, you should not worry. They are more robust than that, and there should be a warning message if it was out of order.
polsesnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 18:02   #9
detailer

Windscreen seal just failed on mine (2010) 43,000 miles. In two years I have owned the car has had:

New clutch
Wheel bearing
Track rod end
Steering rack
Seat cover

Gutted.
detailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2014, 00:58   #10
detailer

Update: window seal removed and replace at the dealers. £120 job sorted (as car now out of warranty). Well pleased as I had visions of cracked windscreens and big bills for water damaged electronics.
detailer is offline   Reply With Quote