Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front wheel drive XC60 with VEA engines - traction in wet?

Views : 3877

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2016, 12:52   #1
JGEM

Default Front wheel drive XC60 with VEA engines - traction in wet?

I'm mulling over upgrading my D5 AWD XC60 to a newer model with a VEA engine, so the only option is front wheel drive.

Torque steer is not an issue with me as I don't drive aggressively but of major concern is how the FWD XC60 behaves in the wet. For example a situation I often encounter is getting a gap in traffic at a busy roundabout in wet weather (often uphill as well) and wanting to accelerate steadily and without slip. My D5 AWD is rock steady and predictable. How does the FWD VEA combo work in such a scenario? Does traction control work well enough and without hesitation to make accelerating on a wet slippery road a predictable and controllable experience or am I best to stick with AWD and wait until the new XC60 arrives with VEA and AWD ?
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 12:56   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Although I love my FWD, I would suggest your scenario of 'wet roundabouts / uphill' might be a disappointment for you.
Perhaps your dealer could offer you an extended test drive one wet weekend ? That's the only way you test your scenario for certain.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 13:44   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

It rains in Sydney? That's not what your tourist boards sells us.

Having had a Yeti 4wd and now a 2wd XC60 I would tend to agree with Nigel. If the situation you describe is an issue then 4wd is worth sticking around for. I am happy with 2wd but I do remember my Yeti felt like it was driving on rails no matter the weather. (before the miserable ones start typing, I did not get casual in my Yeti, I always respected the conditions. You could feel it being more sure footed though.)
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 13:58   #4
iain cooper

I would agree that you would be better sticking to AWD in this scenario.

FWD would disappoint you in this style of driving.

Iain
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 14:04   #5
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Can't say I have ever noticed any 'moments' in mine, and having had it almost 2 years I know I have hit some wet weather: VERY wet at times!

If you were off road, eg mud/grass, perhaps towing in those conditions, then you might be better off with AWD, but for road use FWD should be just fine for you. IMHO, of course!

FYI, I came from having 3 x Saab Aeros for around 13 years and 300K miles, so I know the fun to be had with torque steer: not seen any with the XC60!

Maybe I'm just getting old.....
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 16:06   #6
Considered1
Premier Member

depends on the tyres you are intending running.
I experienced exactly what you describe with the original Pirrelli summers, but once you realise you can watch out for it or fit all seasons which I have done and it is now rock steady.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 17:51   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

We had one as a loan car from the insurance company when a Pratt wrote off the wife's Subaru Forester and I fully recognise the issue that is described here - it was actually rather scary when it first happened, and I very soon realised that I had to be much more gentle moving off than I am with the d5 AWD.

That said I gout used to it after a few days and it never happened again but it did demonstrate how effective the AWD is in getting the power into the road. The responsiveness of the VEA engine was impressive and if that could be allied with AWD then there would be no contest, however currently it isn't (excepting the XC90)
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 13:20   #8
Agouti

I had a basically brand new FWD T5 XC60 for a dry day and while the grip wasn't as good as an AWD it was much better than I was expecting. The 8 speed helps I suspect.

It (after a bit of adaptation) kept the torque steer at close to zero and did a pretty good job of the traction control as well. I've not been in another FWD that felt less like an FWD. The understeer was not intrusive and gave plenty of warning - it doesn't plow like a Camry or such. Pulling out hard into a left corner it won't be as poised or quite as quick as an AWD but it's not far off. Again, can only speak for the dry. Acceleration was as good as my D5 if not better.

Fuel economy was as advertised and dipped under 6L/100km in flat 80km/h bits.

If it was me (and I'm someone who likes spirited driving) I wouldn't write off the T5 FWD too quick. The money you save on the Diesel/AWD could be spent on some much more useful extras like the Driver Support Package with BLIS and adaptive cruise control (allegedly also adds better traction control). Plus you can't get the very nice 8 speed in the Diesel or T6. The Diesels are not well suited to inner city driving either.

Edit: regarding the little issues mentioned, I had the same experience - a bad and frankly dangerous bit of torque steer when merging into a tight gap in traffic. Happened twice then wouldn't happen again despite my best efforts to replicate. I can only assume it does some learning and adaptation in order to counter it. After some initial sillyness it was perfectly behaved.

Last edited by Agouti; Aug 17th, 2016 at 13:27.
Agouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 20:58   #9
CDJ

Default +1 for don't worry about it

Had mine for nigh on two years and whilst in the early days controlling the take off was once or twice more traction control than progress, after a few days you learn to manage it with your right foot.
CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 13:37   #10
Arianne
Premier Member

Default agreed, you quickly learn and it becomes unconscious

AWD allows you to just throttle without thinking. When you first take ownership of the FWD version you have a couple of moments but, after a few weeks, you have learned how to feather the throttle and that's that. It drops into the unconscious and you do it without thinking, even in the wet.

However, if that isn't what you want then it's AWD for you.

Best wishes, Arianne