Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R Design Lux Nav 65 Plate Spec query.

Views : 1759

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 10:50   #11
volvocat

Looking at descriptions for other models, the new XC90 has "...footwell and side step illumination" and refers separately to "illuminated tread plates" - so for that model at least, they do exist and, in usual 'Volvo-speak', there is a clear distinction.
Perhaps that's our answer?
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 11:03   #12
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Well at the moment they will fit them for free, if its what the car should have. They are unsure as I am on what they are. Like you said the description is terrible.

The theatre light is it the white light from the front?
I cant see one in the rear, my V40 had 2 distinctive less that you could customise to 8 colours.
The front theatre light is in the tiny hole in the ceiling console just below the seatbelt/airbag warning screen.
The rear one is smack in the middle of the clear rear dome light unit - obviously not fitted if you have the lovely expensive sunroof...
The V40 is a later generation car than the XC60 so not surprising that it has a more advanced lighting set-up - colours etc.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 12:03   #13
Dan85

I have the illumination pack in my XC60 with the LED in the front and rear clusters. Not sure if it's just my car but the rear theatre light is very dim compared to the one in the front.

The one in the front lights up most of the centre console while the one in the rear can hardly be seen. Is that normal?
Dan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 12:36   #14
wassap

I think you get the theatre light on all the model, the winter pack with illumination adds the cup holder lighting, puddle lights and the door pocket lighting.

I only opted for the normal winter pack with my R design Lux, as it seemed poor value for money, i have all the lamps to retro fit to the car, when i get it next week, they are about £12 each from Volvo, i got some from Ebay from a V40, which are the same lights, plus i have the LEDS from amy current A4 that i plan to use in the XC60.

I added the illumination option in my current A4, and it wasnt cheap, and it didnt add all that much, converting all the lamps to LED added a greater effect.

I like the illumination on BMW's, the little lights in the handles and what not, look quite smart.
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:01   #15
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan85 View Post
I have the illumination pack in my XC60 with the LED in the front and rear clusters. Not sure if it's just my car but the rear theatre light is very dim compared to the one in the front.

The one in the front lights up most of the centre console while the one in the rear can hardly be seen. Is that normal?
Only used our car once after dark so far (after 9 days!) but yes, I noticed that too.
Perhaps they think the driver needs slightly better lighting up front - even though he/she has most of the illuminated controls anyway...
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:23   #16
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
I think you get the theatre light on all the model, the winter pack with illumination adds the cup holder lighting, puddle lights and the door pocket lighting.

I only opted for the normal winter pack with my R design Lux, as it seemed poor value for money, i have all the lamps to retro fit to the car, when i get it next week, they are about £12 each from Volvo, i got some from Ebay from a V40, which are the same lights, plus i have the LEDS from amy current A4 that i plan to use in the XC60.

I added the illumination option in my current A4, and it wasnt cheap, and it didnt add all that much, converting all the lamps to LED added a greater effect.

I like the illumination on BMW's, the little lights in the handles and what not, look quite smart.
Only the front theatre light is standard - you do get rear reading lights - but the rear theatre light is only in the pack.
The pack also adds auto-dimming for the exterior mirrors too.
XC/V70 also got rear footwell lights and all-round internal door handle lights - wonder why XC60 comes off worse in this respect?

Good luck tearing your car apart! - but won't that have warranty implications?
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:34   #17
wassap

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
Only the front theatre light is standard - you do get rear reading lights - but the rear theatre light is only in the pack.
The pack also adds auto-dimming for the exterior mirrors too.
XC/V70 also got rear footwell lights and all-round internal door handle lights - wonder why XC60 comes off worse in this respect?

Good luck tearing your car apart! - but won't that have warranty implications?
Ive gone for the pana roof so no rear lights for me. I have had the exterior dimming before on a Merc, and i didnt get on with it at all, but its something that can be retro fitted easily i think.

The door cards come off really easily, its 2 screws and a few clips, the wiring is already there,and im putting volvo parts on so it shouldnt be an issue with warranty i will need to add some extra wiring for the rear footwells,but thats easy enough.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:39   #18
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Ive gone for the pana roof so no rear lights for me. I have had the exterior dimming before on a Merc, and i didnt get on with it at all, but its something that can be retro fitted easily i think.

The door cards come off really easily, its 2 screws and a few clips, the wiring is already there,and im putting volvo parts on so it shouldnt be an issue with warranty i will need to add some extra wiring for the rear footwells,but thats easy enough.
I see - sounds OK then.
Be really interested to see how you get on - any chance of taking a few pics while you're about it...?
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:57   #19
wassap

Yeah no worries, i was planning on doing a simple tutorial for all the little mods im going to do!
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 18:13   #20
shoppy

Look forward to you modifications, the tread plates are illuminated this can be ordered t factory or retro fitted. If the dealer wants to do it for free, I won't protest to much. I was going to get the rear ca,er retro fitted, nota ta cost of almost £800 and the front park assit is £650, I was sold the front camera as a camera rather then the blind area concept. Oh well you live and learn, just specced my wifes XC90 with almost every option under the sun. I made sure I knew what each was this time.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote