Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cycle carriers

Views : 5592

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 14:25   #1
yatesspud

Default cycle carriers

HI, i am after a cycle carrier for my xc90. I don't have a tow bar and i don't want to put them on the roof as i'm only 5ft 6". Have looked at a high mounted 3 cycle carrier, £60 at Halfords but am concerned that it might snap the spoiler on tailgate that houses the high stop light. Apologies if this appears twice, i thought i'd sent it earlier but couldn't see the thread when i checked. Any help/views would be great. Thanks.
yatesspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 15:05   #2
DJBuk29

I had that problem and did snap off the tail light spolier on by BMW 3 series tourer last year so I know the feeling. My XC90 is not going to sufer the same fate. Having said that my carrier is a 4 bike one of unknown make that I got from a closing down sale but it is fairly standard frame variety that sits on the bumber and hooks onto the tail spoiler. TBH the XC90 spoiler looks and feels a lot more solid than the BMW one which was only fixed with a couple of GRP mounts which duly broke as I went over a sleeping policeman. I would be happy with samll bikes and short even journey. I recently did a 2 hour trip and decided to take the straps over to the roof rail and simply tie them on. They are certainly stronger and a simple half hitch suffices as the metal clamp/hooks prevent unravelling. It was sound and I am very fussy on this subject with years of loading precious windsurfing equipment experience. Hope this helps? If in doubt use the rails.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 15:35   #3
yatesspud

thank you. i thought no one was going to answert me!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:14   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Just a bit late maybe but...

I have seen a bike lift, perhaps by Thule, to assist getting bikes onto a roof mounted bike carrier..

May be worth looking into.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:39   #5
yatesspud

cheers, i will look into it as not too late. i have also got my old cycle carrier back( from an old hatchback) and that fits ok and sits on bumper so doesent seem to hurt the spoiler.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 13:06   #6
rjb0705
Wraith 1 (VOC 21159)

Don't know if it helps, but BMW (who I work for) do a hinged bike carrier with a big arm that clamps to the bike and allows you to lift them onto the roof (works on an X5) so volvo might do the same sort of thing. Not sure if the BMW one will fit your roof rack system but it retails at 240.00 inc VAT.

Cheers
Andy
rjb0705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 13:35   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb0705 View Post
Don't know if it helps, but BMW (who I work for) do a hinged bike carrier with a big arm that clamps to the bike and allows you to lift them onto the roof (works on an X5) so volvo might do the same sort of thing. Not sure if the BMW one will fit your roof rack system but it retails at 240.00 inc VAT.

Cheers
Andy
Yes... This is the sort of thing I was refering to. And I believe that it will be an option for Volvo carriers..
I suspect that Thule will also sell their own as they make the carriers for Volvo and likely BMW as well..

Thanks for pointing that out..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 23:16   #8
cx04yww

Thumbs up

I use the volvo servo bike lift which is great for lifting bikes up on to the roof, you need to be carefull when you first set it up to avoid scratching the paintwork with the pedals though, i learned the hard way. The Volvo one is exactly the same as the BMW one but costs half the price, (no brainer there).

Only other problem is that you can only use two of them so your stuffed if you have more than two bikes.

Hope this helps.
cx04yww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:10   #9
yatesspud

Thanks to everyone who replied. Just returned from Centerparcs and used my old cycle carrier. No problems to report, sat well and stable on the rear bumber. Spoiler wasn't a problem although there was a lack of places to attatch the staps, couldn't attatch to side as was glass or rear bumber either as all plastic. But more than stable just attatched to top and bottom of tailgate. I only other thing, you can't use the rear wiper when on as will hit the bar that sat on the rear screen just below the top stop light.Still much cheaper than fitting and expensive Volvo rack either roof or towbar fitted !