Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3rd row seats and legroom

Views : 3018

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 15:21   #1
playpen

Default 3rd row seats and legroom

Hi All

Considering an XC90 to replace our family car (VW Sharan), would like to know how effective the rear most seats in the Volvo actually are ? I did a search but couldn't find anything relevent.

I've got 3 kids of varying ages and after having a brief look at an XC90 in a dealership was disappointed at how little leg room there seemed to be.

I know the 2nd row seats all slide forward but unless the front seats are also forward a bit they'll have restricted room too. I only had a few mins at the dealership and no one was around to demonstrate or show me the various configurations unfortunately.

Keen to hear what the reality of using all 7 seats is actually like from current owners.

Cheers
John
playpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 15:29   #2
kulkool1

Hi,
I have 3 kids of varying ages from 2 to 12 and am 6’ 2’’ myself and we have no problems using all 3 rows comfortably. In fact the kids fight to sit in 3rd row. We regularly travel with 6 in the car (main reason we bought it was we needed a 6 seater) and nobodies complained about legroom or headroom.

You will not be disappointed on the comfort side.
kulkool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 16:48   #3
patl

Thumbs up 7 Seats

Hi John,

I regularly have kids up to 10 years old in the back .... it is a popular place for them to go !!! I have been in the back before (at 6ft 1in) though I wouldn't want to spend hours there. It wouldn't be comfortable with 7 adults, but with 4 adults and 3 kids or the many other variations it will be fine. All the middle seats slide forward independently.

However, not a lot of luggage space when 7-up. No problems when just 6.

Had a Zafira before and the XC90 seats are easier to put up and down on the 3rd row, flexible in the 2nd row, more space and more comfortable. Also, the leather is easier to wipe jam off from !!!

Go and have a play with a demonstrator.

Regards,
Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 23:13   #4
playpen

Thanks all for the advice so far

Patrick - its a good point, I'll try and get hold of a demonstrator and have a good play with it. I hope the dealership is prepared for my 3 kids tho'

Thinking about it we've been spoilt with the Sharan as we run it with the middle seat in the 2nd row removed so it gives an even more spacious impression.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 15:52   #5
patl

Default Seats

Hi John,

The middle of the 2nd row folds flat as a nice armrest. You can also take out part of the centre console between the 2 front seats and slide the middle seat of the 2nd row right up to the front seats, so a small kids can sit almost between the parents. I don't use it, but it is a novel trick !!!

Regards,
Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:25   #6
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Hi John,
I've only got 2 kids - but wife regularly does the school club runs and quite often has the 3rd row up - kids normally fight for them.
We went to Austria 6 up. 4 adults and 2 kids - 1 of the adults prefered it in the back row as you get a slightly higher view forward aswell (some luggage had to go on the roof though). Loads of flexibility to adjust middle row as mentioned. Iv'e actually had 7 adults in mine too - not going too far - but some hefty blokes.
Rear seat headphones is definitely worth the money so they can listen to their own music too while you have the radio - brilliant (£5.99 headphones from Argos are perfect as they'll take a battering anyway)

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 22:32   #7
playpen

Thanks for all the advice everyone, very helpful. Will be arranging a proper demo soon.

Cheers
John