Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 940 HPT CD manual saloon - SOLD

Views : 1137

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 01:00   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default 1998 940 HPT CD manual saloon - SOLD

Howdy folks!

Here is the "for sale" thread for my Dad's 1998 940 2.3 HPT CD manual saloon on an 'R' plate. It's a 1998 model, but registered late 1997.

He bought the car when it was 3 years old with 105k miles on the clock. It had been a company car, used by an executive, and had done 35k a year on the motorway. It has now covered just under 150k miles.

The car has always been maintained on a 'cost no object' basis. Last year it had ~£1000 spent on making the air conditioning functional again. This year it has had the cam belt replaced and both alarm key fobs were replaced. It had a brand new set of alloys (the same as the originals) fitted just over 3 years ago. They remain unmarked, as far as I'm aware. It is due a 6000 mile service (oil, filter, spark plugs, etc) shortly, but I'm willing to do this for £50 incl materials for the buyer.

It is officially an LPT (4psi boost, 135bhp), but I converted it to an HPT (7psi boost, 175bhp) by fitting an HPT wastegate actuator to the turbo. This is the only component which is different between the two versions, as far as we're aware. This can be reversed if you so wish...but I don't know why you would...it's a very nice upgrade. My Dad is a pretty conservative driver, but he very much appriciates the increase in midrange pull which the extra boost pressure provides. I fitted the boost gauge (below the rev counter) from an HPT while I was at it. The peak BHP figure masks a much higher torque figure. It's no rocket-ship, but we once outdragged a Mini Cooper S on a 30 to 70mph dual carriageway transition, and the 940 was 5-up.

Being CD-spec, it has just about every piece of kit you can get for 900s. Electric windows, electric tilt/slide glass sunroof, electric heated mirrors, electronic climate control, cruise control, power driver's seat, full leather seats, SIPS bags...so it goes on.

Condition wise, it is excellent for its age. My old man isn't the sort who spends his weekends cleaning the air inside the tyres, but the car is very, very tidy for a vehicle registered 11 years ago. It has a small, shallow ding on the bonnet (looks like something was dropped on it), but that is essentially the only mark on the car.

Pictures (for which it wasn't cleaned)!

Grey leather, all electrics.

Just over 149k in late October 08. Note how much vacuum the engine is pulling (on the boost gauge), indicative of a very healthy engine.

So...in summary...top-spec final-year 940 in exceptional condition, no expense spared on the maintenance (including fully working A/C). It's supplied with a ream of paperwork, bills, etc. I honestly believe this to be one of the best examples you'll find.

Business details...
The car is currently located at my folks' place in South Devon, but I can collect the car and deliver it more or less anywhere at cost. I'm based in Lincoln and the car may be available for viewing here in due course, by arrangement.
The car is sold as seen, and no warranty will be offered. If something goes horribly wrong 50m down the road, that's the risk you take when buying an 11 year old car privately. Having said that, I would get in this car and drive it anywhere without worrying about whether or not it'll get there.
Finally...the asking price is £1000. I appriciate there are cheaper examples available, but considering the condition, and that everything works...if you want a car which 'just works', considering what has been spent recently on the air conditioning alone on this car, I think this is a very reasonable price.

If you would like to know more, either post here, or drop me a line via PM.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 10:07   #2
tom kingsnorth

Default volvo 940

Hi i am interested in your 940 volvo.As i have never had a 940 can you tell me theM.P.G and when can it be seen in Lincon Thank you Tom..My e.mail is tom-ed@tiscali.co.uk or phone No 01787 269645
tom kingsnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 18:43   #3
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Tom,

The figures we've achieved have typically been something like 20-25 in urban driving, and 30-35 on the motorway. I would expect the long-term average to be in the high 20s. A couple of friends have managed to squeeze 40mpg out of estates cruising at 60mph, but my old man has never done that sort of driving.

The car is currently located at my folks place, and I was only planning to bring it up north if someone wanted to have it delivered in this part of the world. It's possible that it may yet move up north for 'viewings', but it's staying in South Devon for the moment.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:39   #4
tom kingsnorth

Default volvo 940

Hi James.Thank you for your reply, i am still interested in buying your volvo but feel Devon is to far to go. if you bring it to lincoln please let me know.I live on the Essex suffolk border. Thank you Tom.....
tom kingsnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 22:28   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Tom,

Of course. The car is geographically isolated at present, which is going to make it awkward for some people. I'll be in touch if it ends up heading up north.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 13:07   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The car sold in Devon just before Christmas. Thanks for your interest, Tom.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164