Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breakdown Cover for 2002 S60

Views : 848

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2019, 15:51   #1
alf

Default Breakdown Cover for 2002 S60

My wife and I are going to Southern Ireland in September this year (2019) and I never realised it would be so difficult to get breakdown insurance. Last time I took a vehicle 'abroad' was in the 70's! Just because my S60 is a 2002 car hence 17 years old a lot of companies, including Volvo's own breakdown cover, won't touch it and others want to charge in the region of £180 just for a few weeks. My normal breakdon insurance covers me for Northern Irelan but not southern as that's not the U.K. Any advice from anyone?
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 15:53   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf View Post
My wife and I are going to Southern Ireland in September this year (2019) and I never realised it would be so difficult to get breakdown insurance. Last time I took a vehicle 'abroad' was in the 70's! Just because my S60 is a 2002 car hence 17 years old a lot of companies, including Volvo's own breakdown cover, won't touch it and others want to charge in the region of £180 just for a few weeks. My normal breakdon insurance covers me for Northern Irelan but not southern as that's not the U.K. Any advice from anyone?
Won't volvo's free breakdown cover you get with a service work ?
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 17:05   #3
BarryCambs

I have the same problem with my 2002 V70. I have a 1929 car which has European recovery as part of it's insurance cover (£150 a year all in) with Adrian Flux and I think(?) they also cover cars of this age, but no idea what the premium is. I keep meaning to find out, then always forget when it comes to renew my Green Flag cover for the Volvo. In a couple of years time, the V70 will be old enough for classic insurance too!

We go abroad once or twice a year, but my thinking is, the car is no more likely to breakdown there as it is at home and I've never had a call out in the UK. Even if I paid an extra 25 quid a trip, I'd have spent at least £250 in the last few years, so if it cost a couple of hundred to tow it off a motorway, I'm still in profit :-)

The only twice I had problems abroad it was with punctures, once with a lorry and once with a motorbike. Given this, I always make sure I can get the wheel nuts off (normally cripplingly over tightened by tyre depots) and the spare has air in it.

Last edited by BarryCambs; Mar 30th, 2019 at 17:25.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryCambs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 17:26   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryCambs View Post
I have the same problem with my 2002 V70. I have a 1929 car which has European recovery as part of it's insurance cover (£150 a year all in) with Adrian Flux and I think(?) they also cover cars of this age, but no idea what the premium is. I keep meaning to find out, then always forget when it comes to renew my Green Flag cover for the Volvo. In a couple of years time, the V70 will be old enough for classic insurance too!

We go abroad once or twice a year, but my thinking is, the car is no more likely to breakdown there as it is at home and I've never had a call out in the UK. Even if I paid an extra 25 quid a trip, I'd have spent at least £250 in the last few years, so if it cost a couple of hundred to tow it off a motorway, I'm still in profit :-)

The only twice I had problems abroad it was with punctures, once with a lorry and once with a motorbike. Given this, I always make sure I can get the wheel nuts off (normally cripplingly over tightened by tyre depots) and the spare has air in it.
my classic breakdown cover vis Flux is £58 around the same as the two main recovery services we all know .
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:14   #5
alf

Thanks I will try Flux. As for free breakdown with service I've not heard of this. But bearing in mind I use and independent (authorised) Volvo garage and that the car is 17 years old I doubt it would apply - but I can only try! Thanks
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 13:32   #6
Peter28

See how you go with ( Flux ) and try these ( startrescue.co.uk. ) I have been with them now for about 9 years never had any problems with them.
Peter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 13:34   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

The breakdown folk say that the majority of callouts are flat tyres, flat batteries, no fuel, wrong fuel, lost, wiper fallen off and so on.
If you can avoid these pitfalls you are in the smiley 5% place.
Tyres had been going soft for weeks if anyone bothered to check, don't leave lights on, check the colour of the fuel nozzle etc etc.
Make sure that whatever you have in the boot can actually turn the wheel fasteners.
Southern Ireland is hardly abroad is it? I mean it's not as if you were planning on going to Scotland or Wales

Last edited by Brendan W; Mar 31st, 2019 at 13:37.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 11:34   #8
BlueRubber
VOC Member

You could try these guys, they are affiliated with autoaid who are a great company to deal with:
https://eurorescue.co.uk/BreakdownServices.aspx
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 21:28   #9
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering here.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 15:59   #10
derek vivian

Default breakdown insurance

Hi Dan at Adrian Flux. I went on to your web site for a quote, but it stopped working after I had put in all my info! My car is a V90 (1997) and I am looking for European breakdown cover for 2 to 3 weeks (France and Italy). Please let me know if you can accept a 22 years ol car?
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17 years old, breakdown, ireland