Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Info on longer wheel studs please

Views : 1263

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2020, 21:37   #1
red122
Master Member

Default Info on longer wheel studs please

Can anyone please provide a link or info to a supplier of Wheel studs for Amazon /Pvs that are longer than normal . My minilites wont clear the calipers on my Pv ,they are fine on my Amazon . I want to run with spacers to clear the Calipers but need longer wheel studs to give me enough thread for safety .
Any info gratefully received . Thank you
red122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 22:35   #2
old fart
Master Member

You can get spacers that use the original studs to locate, and have built in studs to give extra width.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 23:06   #3
omc 47
VOC Member

I've spoken with Minilite about this in the past as my Minilites touch my calipers but l bought the Minilites from an Amazon owner.
Minilite claim no Minilite they supply for Amazons should have spacers or require them.
Then on speaking to Simon at Brookhouse he said there was a design change in Caliper production or words to that effect which meant that in some cases the caliper fouled the wheel which goes along with the fact l had service exchange calipers from Brookhouse.
The spacers l fitted were 5mm followed by chrome nuts, this may create a hornets nest of comments but this is just my experience so hope it helps not confuses the matter.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 09:53   #4
red122
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
You can get spacers that use the original studs to locate, and have built in studs to give extra width.
Thank you . I had heard of these but I'm not sure they are as strong as the original set up so I wanted to try to source some longer ones . Ive no idea what the original size /splines are even . Have to get my glasses on and do some investigation !
Old May 23rd, 2020, 09:55   #5
red122
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
I've spoken with Minilite about this in the past as my Minilites touch my calipers but l bought the Minilites from an Amazon owner.
Minilite claim no Minilite they supply for Amazons should have spacers or require them.
Then on speaking to Simon at Brookhouse he said there was a design change in Caliper production or words to that effect which meant that in some cases the caliper fouled the wheel which goes along with the fact l had service exchange calipers from Brookhouse.
The spacers l fitted were 5mm followed by chrome nuts, this may create a hornets nest of comments but this is just my experience so hope it helps not confuses the matter.
Thank you for your thoughts ,i just felt once id fitted the spacer that there wasnt enough thread to be sure of the wheels not coming loose . Are you the chap i sold some seats to a few years back ?
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:52   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

How bad is the interference? If it is just one corner of the caliper you may be able to just grind a small amount off to give the required clearance. Something similar can happen with 240's when using 14" alloys and a couple of passes with the grinder can be enough to cure the problem.
Perhaps talk to Rob at Amazon Cars?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 00:22   #7
Quarterless
Master Member

KG Trimning sell them in Sweden. I have fitted them on my car. Not found any others available due to them having such a large shank.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 07:35   #8
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , a simple answer to longer wheel studs is ask at a motor sport supplier ( i.e. Demontweeks ) if you know your thread size
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sear...ead/m14_x_1_5/

Hope it helps
Old May 24th, 2020, 08:54   #9
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Dependant on the thickness though. The existing studs are approx 25mm from the hub/drum, if your spacer is less than this you will need to cut them or fit thru bolt spacers with longer studs
Try Mr Tee https://www.mistertee.co.uk/products/wheel-studs/
Remember anything over 20mm and you are liable to hit the leading edge of the front wheel arch when on full lock
Russ
Also only use hub-centric spacers
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 20:45   #10
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

I do have a set of these longer studs left over from a project many years ago they in my draw still at workshop

And have found a place that can do them using dimensions then pumped into a cad design to be re made on order

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote