Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide/How to remove EGR valve/Turbo

Views : 42239

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 19:05   #31
meena387

Default Picturess???

Hey biotoxic pictures are not displaying right must be the site could you pm with pics?
thanks
meena387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 13:10   #32
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meena387 View Post
Hey biotoxic pictures are not displaying right must be the site could you pm with pics?
thanks
I will look into that tomorrow morning. I noticed similar problem with one of my other post.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 18:59   #33
Biotoxic
Master Member

Images should be visible now, there was a problem with a site that is hosting those images.
If anybody is looking for a EGR cleaning/removal guide its here http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127481

You can use this ''S40: - Guide/How to remove EGR valve/Turbo'' to remove the TURBO ONLY as EGR article is outdated in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 21:05   #34
BigJoe88

Hi there,

I have a 2001 S40 and my turbo has just gone. I have been humming and harring on the task in hand, but after seeing your photo's, I think I should get on ok. Im a radar technician so should just about manage.

Do you advise taking apart the waste gate? I was going to try and bypass that and leave it alone.

Cheers

Joe
BigJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:03   #35
davidworden

Default Removing EGR valve

Very much appreciate this post. Really clear photos and comments. Thanks!
davidworden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 23:42   #36
s40mick

Many Many Thankd Bio
It appears to be my turn to get my hands dirty with a failing turbo. Your pictorial is a real bonus.
s40mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 17:33   #37
RGP

Thanks for your post and thanks to anyone who can help.

Been searching through this site for hours for this sort of info. My turbo died yesterday unfortunately oil is every where throughout the EGR etc...

My question would be; Is it fixable? I am a novice but handy with tools.. I have a 2001 V40 1.9D 119,200 on the clock...

Would I start with following Biotoxic's post? I removed the pipe to the EGR and oil literally pored out.

Any help, any advice gratefully received! (I do have some pics)

Many thanks,

RGP
RGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 10:43   #38
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
Thanks for your post and thanks to anyone who can help.

I removed the pipe to the EGR and oil literally pored out.

Any help, any advice gratefully received! (I do have some pics)

Many thanks,

RGP
I do not visit this site often since I do not own a volvo anymore.... I hope it's sorted now.

Since a lot of people still use this old guide, I will post it here as well.. This might help for those who are struggling with the egr removal/cleaning.

https://youtu.be/gbQgz-DZWbg <----watch it in 4k
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 08:13   #39
woodysomerset

Been reading this thread with interest, my garage has diagnosed that my turbo is failing, 1.9D 2002 102bhp engine, with 112k on the clock, now they've suggested I leave the turbo until it fails, but looking at what's involved with all the cleaning is it really not worth biting the bullet and getting it done. The thing that's got me stumped is I can look on ebay for various reconditoned tubos and they state they are for the F9Q engine which is correct, but are the turbos interchangeable between the 102 and 115 bhp engine ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1410225272...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
woodysomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 12:44   #40
neanderthal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysomerset View Post
Been reading this thread with interest, my garage has diagnosed that my turbo is failing, 1.9D 2002 102bhp engine, with 112k on the clock, now they've suggested I leave the turbo until it fails, but looking at what's involved with all the cleaning is it really not worth biting the bullet and getting it done. The thing that's got me stumped is I can look on ebay for various reconditoned tubos and they state they are for the F9Q engine which is correct, but are the turbos interchangeable between the 102 and 115 bhp engine ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1410225272...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i noticed near the bottom of the page, that the turbo on ebay has a journal bearing,which produces more friction than a ball bearing one...youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CsNM8iZc8...
The Following User Says Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy, egr, how to..., turbo