Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 td wont start

Views : 3697

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 20:00   #1
argosy960

Default 940 td wont start

volvo 940 1993. TD intercooler, Wont start, Car has been lying for months, But its a good engine, No issues with it, I tested heater plugs there ok,, I changed fuel filter,,i,m gravity feeding it from a can,,, still not starting,,,Not even a puff of smoke,Its like its getting no fuel what so ever,, I checked solinoid on fuel injector pump,, its clicking,, it has power, i tested it,,,
So why will it not start? new battery,, its turning over fast,,, and for long period,
I,m afraid of ruining my starter at this stage,, ?
HELP!!!!!!!!!
argosy960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 20:24   #2
jor
VOC 20573

Whenever mine has failed to start it's been plugs, so not an experience I've had.
You could loosen the connectors to the injectors in turn to make sure that fuel is getting there. Also that the little lines connecting the injectors have not perished.

jor
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 01:02   #3
argosy960

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Whenever mine has failed to start it's been plugs, so not an experience I've had.
You could loosen the connectors to the injectors in turn to make sure that fuel is getting there. Also that the little lines connecting the injectors have not perished.

jor
I'll check lines but i,m sure there good, , Could solenoid on injector be problem, getting power but stuck? when i undo injector pipes at injector there is a tiny spit of diesel, very small,
is using easy start good idea? total mystery, i know these engines, so easy to bleed, yet its not taking any fuel even when gravity fed,

is it easy take solenoid out?????
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 22:47   #4
jor
VOC 20573

If you are only getting a tiny amount of fuel after loosening the union that would seem to indicate that not enough is getting through. When I replaced the injectors I thought that the injector/pipe unions were tight, only to find a considerable leak.. Might be worthwhile removing the injectors and taking them to a shop to have them checked.
For a complete discussion of the solenoid issue have a look at the d24 list on tufts (tufts elists) last month.
Presumably you filled the filter before replacing.

jor
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 01:34   #5
argosy960

Quote:
If you are only getting a tiny amount of fuel after loosening the union that would seem to indicate that not enough is getting through. When I replaced the injectors I thought that the injector/pipe unions were tight, only to find a considerable leak.. Might be worthwhile removing the injectors and taking them to a shop to have them checked.
For a complete discussion of the solenoid issue have a look at the d24 list on tufts (tufts elists) last month.
Presumably you filled the filter before replacing.

jor
Got it to start,,,Now another problem,, it will not rev,, its holding 1500 rpm and thats it, i cannot rev it more,,Cable is ok
Plus it is very smokey
When it started there was a strong smell of vegetabel oil,So i assume someone had vegetable oil in it,
When i rev it there it nothing,,I stood on rev,nothing,,got out of car,1 min later it raced reved hard,,all on it own,,,or a late reaction to me reving it,
Whats issue here? Injectors blocked,,or coated with carbon,,? Seems like it to me,,Plus when engine raced i could not turn it off,,I turned key off it kept racing, i pulled fuel supply from it,still kept running ,i had to loosen off injector pipes to get it to die,,
What the hell? i started it again few hours later,, turn off and on with key,,but i didnt rev it,,,and its still smoking and holding 1500 rpm and will not rev,,
timing seems ok,,, as it starts first turn off key,,,,,,,,,,,
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 19:32   #6
jor
VOC 20573

Draining what's in it and refilling with diesel might be worthwhile, if you add 250mls of non synthetic ATF that will help clean the injectors.

jor
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 10:46   #7
huron
Master Member

The sumps not overfilled is it??
huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:08   #8
zetor160

Put a new fuel filter on.. and she'll be right as rain..

Sounds to me like fuel starvation.

Fuel filters can let you down with little warning sometimes, esp.if vehicle has been standing. Poss. filter rot as well..sucking in on itself and blocking the flow of fuel.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Regards
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:15   #9
zetor160

Sorry..just seen you've changed said item..apologies.

Rotted/perished/blocked pipes that:

a. restrict the flow of Diesel

b. That allow air to be sucked in to system (trust new filter is properly screwed down with no air leaks?)

c. Try running the car with fuel cap off, to vent the tank

From your post..it sounds as though you're not getting enough fuel thru to the injectors, coupled with air being sucked in to the system.

Don't think it can be anything too complicated on these motors.

Regards
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 14:34   #10
argosy960

Quote:
Draining what's in it and refilling with diesel might be worthwhile, if you add 250mls of non synthetic ATF that will help clean the injectors.

jor
Running off a can of diesel, So its only getting diesel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by huron View Post
The sumps not overfilled is it??
nope. Not over filled,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetor160 View Post
Sorry..just seen you've changed said item..apologies.

Rotted/perished/blocked pipes that:

a. restrict the flow of Diesel

b. That allow air to be sucked in to system (trust new filter is properly screwed down with no air leaks?)

c. Try running the car with fuel cap off, to vent the tank

From your post..it sounds as though you're not getting enough fuel thru to the injectors, coupled with air being sucked in to the system.

Don't think it can be anything too complicated on these motors.

Regards
Its running off of a can of diesel, Could return pipe be blocked, as its running off of can, but returning to tank,
Anyway i dont think filter is blocked, as its running strong, and hold 1500 constant, and zero reply from rev,,, NOTHING,
plus when i run off key >> READ THIS,, Once i turn off key revs increase straight away, they race up to 2300 rpm,, engine wont die,,if i turn key back on it goes back down to 1500 rpm,,turn off 2300 rpm,,turn on 1500 rpm,,i can do this all day,,,, WEIRD OR WHAT?
i have no answer