Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Belt Question...

Views : 3814

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 14:43   #1
GSMGuy
Master Member

Default Timing Belt Question...

Just received my 3 part kit today (Thanks Simon) Belt, tensioner and idler, and am going to change this tomorrow myself - I have a question or two though...

In VADIS, it makes no mention of removing the crank pulley/damper, but in the diagrams shows it removed.... So does it need to come off, if so, is it a case of the small bolts surrounding the centre bolt, or does the main bolt need to come off...

Secondly, if the main bolt needs to be removed - Whats the best way to lock the crank (auto car)

Indeed Vadis not only makes no mention of removing the pulley/damper, it also does not give any torque settings for it in the destructions, whereas it does give them for the idler/tensioner...

Anyone??

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 02:58   #2
GSMGuy
Master Member

Well, all done in just over an hour and a quarter today - Have to say it was by far one of the easiest timing belt/tensioner/idler/serpentine belt swaps I have ever done!!

Would have been a lot harder without my new toy though

Mike
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 21:17   #3
jp11

You didn't tell us you had a new toy. And it would be very helpful to get a blow-by-blow account of your technique....
jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 00:29   #4
GSMGuy
Master Member

Twas easy enough - and the pulley/damper DOES have to come off - 30mm centre bolt and 4 x 13mm around the edge - Was awkward actually getting the new belt around the crank pulley, as it has alloy "guides" on the block to keep it tight against the pulley whilst you are fitting the rest of it - Tensioner and idler were simple one bolt jobs, and there is surprisingly good access, you only need to remove the plastic nuts from the wheel arch liner, not the whole thing, and bend it back - Good idea to ty-rap it to keep it out of the way...

The nut and bolts were TIGHT! VERY TIGHT - this is where the new toy came in handy.... The 30mm nut is supposed to be tightened to 300Nm!

My Snap On CT4850.... 18v cordless impact wrench...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5627uNhaeA

www.motherofallcordlessimpactwrenches.com

It's amazing what 475Nm of torque can do.... The 163bhp D5 only produces 340Nm... No need to lock the crank either... The guns' bolt breakaway torque is actually 840Nm!!!

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Dec 30th, 2009 at 00:51.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:03   #5
jp11

Aghh, the new toy - Santa Claus I suppose. Thanks for the info, it's good to know you don't need a locking tool. Are the bolts not single use?
And oh, do you have the Volvo part numbers for the bits used? I've russled up a belt (31258306) and tensioner (30638278), but I'd like to be sure they're right - I still have to get the idler.
And did you replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler also?
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 03:39   #6
GSMGuy
Master Member

TBH - I just got the kit - Part No 31258305 from Simon, all 3 components - Didn't bother replacing the serp or tensioner as I replaced the belt due to noise 6k miles ago, and the idler/tensioner on the serp is not a scheduled service item - The Nut/bolts ares not single use as they are not locking, nor thread locked - If they were thread locked, I'd have cleaned them and loctite'd them anyway.

Mike
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:30   #7
Bernard333
Premier Member

What was the state of the belt when it came off any cracks or obvious signs of wear or potential imminent failure ? The cam belt was changed on my D5 for the first time at 117k miles and looked still good with no signs of cracking or perishing etc , I should have changed it at 90k . The serpentine belt was not changed and that also still looks like new at 137k , I have others cars with much lower mileages , a Ford with a serpentine belt that looks ready to snap any minute now its perished and cracked .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 13:50   #8
jp11

I've heard that if the serp goes it can damage the cambelt.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 15:25   #9
cassell
Member since 1988

Unhappy D5 Cambelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11 View Post
I've heard that if the serp goes it can damage the cambelt.
Quite so... I speak from experience!!

On Boxing Day we were off to a family lunch some 80 miles away and my wife started our S80 D5 185bhp whilst I opened driveway gates, squealing noise from engine followed by several grating noises and clunks before the engine stalled.

On examination, the ribbed alternator/aircon belt had completely shredded with bits of it showing everywhere in the alternator area. As the car is less than two years old and with 40k miles I rang Volvo Assistance who had an RAC vehicle there in under an hour. His first diagnosis was that just the auxilliary belt had failed and he would remove the debris allowing me to drive the car to my local dealer after the Christmas holiday for a new belt.

However on closer inspection the RAC man noted that the belt had been picked up by the cambelt which had snapped! To make his visit worthwhile I got him to help me push the Volvo off the drive so that we could go for lunch in my wife's seven year old Citroen C3, most annoying!

To cut a long story short, my S80 was recovered by Volvo Assistance on Tuesday, taken to Rybrook Volvo Warrington where new belts etc and a new cylinder head are being fitted under warranty and I should have the car back on Monday 4th January as quite understandibly they are letting their mechanics have New Year off!

Their very helpful service department didn't seem particularly surprised by the belt failure and associated damage so it makes me wonder if it's a 'not uncommon' fault on D5 engines, although I have now had three cars (S60 and S80) with this engine and no previous problems. I suppose the moral of the story is that if your auxilliary belt starts to squeal, get it checked out immediately in case it decides to lovingly wrap itself around your cambelt.

Happy New Year!!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 14:17   #10
Telco

Is there any particular component that typically fails causing the auxilliary belt to fail also ?

Auxilliary tensioner or idler wheel for example ?.

I noticed that there was some play in the aux idler when changing the belt although it did spin smoothly.

Thanks,
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote