Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A couple of questions about dealer

Views : 2543

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 00:23   #21
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90pad View Post
had mine turned off by Donalds of ipswich cost £54, i thing the MOT regs for the DRLS only applies to the new reg cars that have them fitted from Feb this year, they are a bespoke DRL not a sidelight and head light that is fitted to the car as standard, all mine has done is just turn off the Automatic headlights on all the while, if i leave the headlights on when i switch off they go off, sorry for waffling on
I have also had a look at the new 2012 XC Drl they replace the fog lights on during the day as soon as it gets dusk they swap and the headlights come on, not sure if you lose the fog lights ?????? have been looking to try and retrofit
I'd be interested to hear what you find as I have been thinking about having this done too.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 21:19   #22
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
Because the sidelights switch is in between DRL and dipped beam switches , so for example I am driving at night, I have DRL on dipped beam, I want to use full beam which invloves switching from DRL to sidelights, then to dipped beam again before I can use full beam.
If my DRLs were sidelights only, then I would conciously switch to dipped beam as it gets dark.
I understand fully what you are saying & I'm not arguing with you, I gues I will just have to live with this inconvenience for the sake of it.
In the mean time, I would like to thank you for all the advice which is all good & I don't wish to come across in a bad way
I see what your saying. I did do that myself occasionally when I first had the car. I got used to switching it as I drove. Nowdays I always seem to remember.

The club mag did just publish the new changes to MOT regs although I don't think it was the complete list of changes but it didn't mention a change the DRL's even though there was a big section on lighting.

The main change to lighting was to make any aftermarket bi-xenon conversions illegal unless they included suitable reflectors, washers and self leveling.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 14th, 2012 at 21:22.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 23:17   #23
volvozx6r

Im only going to say what everyone else has said but. Volvo are from sweden where it is law to have lights on all the time. You can have them switched off at a price. as some said before. i believe from my12 all cars must have drls and cant be switched off to comply with EU regs. The Xc60, doesnt have front fogs i think they might be optional and they do have drls that are seperate. So my friend if you want them switched off the do it or save yourself some cash and teach yourself to leave them on. I do! As for mots, it doesnt matter as not all cars have the option of drls.
volvozx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 13:10   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I see what your saying. I did do that myself occasionally when I first had the car. I got used to switching it as I drove. Nowdays I always seem to remember.

The club mag did just publish the new changes to MOT regs although I don't think it was the complete list of changes but it didn't mention a change the DRL's even though there was a big section on lighting.

The main change to lighting was to make any aftermarket bi-xenon conversions illegal unless they included suitable reflectors, washers and self leveling.
I would also add that quite a few people just leave the lights in the on position all the time and I often forget they are in the on position far more often than in the off position. They work just the same the only difference being you can turn the main beam on as well as flash. I have read somewhere that the DRL position uses a lower output though. No ones taken a reading of voltage to confirm though. You can't tell with your eyes as they auto adjust naturally. Might be able to with two cars along side each other though.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:54   #25
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

If you have the DRL's turned off don't forget to inform your insurance company as it will increase the risk of accidents.