Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seeking Advice:Considering Buying a Volvo V40 that pees oil

Views : 405

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 23:02   #1
Mexinator

Smile Seeking Advice:Considering Buying a Volvo V40 that pees oil

Hello fellow Volvo enthusiasts,

I hope this message finds you well. I come seeking some advice and guidance regarding a potential purchase I'm considering, and I couldn't think of a better place to turn to than this knowledgeable community.

I've stumbled upon a Volvo V40 D2 2014 at an auction that seems to tick most of the boxes I'm looking for. It has a relatively low mileage of 89,910 kms, a full service history, and according to the records, it has had only one owner. However, there's a concerning issue that's given me pause: there seems to be oil and diesel coming out of the exhaust.

To provide more clarity, I've attached some videos showcasing the issue. Despite this problem, the car appears to run well otherwise.

exhaust leaking:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ok...ew?usp=sharing

car starting:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wQI...ew?usp=sharing

Now, I understand that such a problem could potentially be a major red flag, but given the otherwise promising aspects of this vehicle, I'm left wondering if this could be something manageable or if it's a clear sign to steer clear.

Have any of you encountered a similar issue with your Volvo V40s? What could potentially be causing this problem? And most importantly, do you think it's worth pursuing this purchase despite the exhaust issue, considering the car's service history and relatively low mileage?

Any insights, advice, or personal experiences you could share would be immensely helpful in guiding my decision. I appreciate your time and assistance in advance!

Best regards,
Mexinator
Mexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 06:20   #2
Gotcha

I know there are a range of potential issues with the D2's.
Maybe someone just blasted water into the exhaust.....or the head gasket is gone and it's leaking water through.... maybe check if it hold water, if possible.
Better if you can take it for a drive and see if it clears up.

From starting, it sounds good, but the engine mounts are worn.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 08:26   #3
Mexinator

Thanks for the quick reply I checked the oil cap for white foam and no worrying signs. I forgot to mention it has got a smell of oil burning to add a clue. The auction house unfortunately doesn't let you drive the cars

Last edited by Mexinator; Apr 1st, 2024 at 09:18.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 08:56   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I’d say that it’s got a load of condensation sat in the exhaust and it’s chucking it out. You do see these with head gasket problems tho. Also turbo issues if it has been neglected. Tho it sounds ok. I suppose if it’s cheap might be worth a punt if your willing to take the risk of a big repair or not so big if you can do it yourself.

There’s the old saying, not all cars at the auction are bad, but all the bad cars are at the auction.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 15:51   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

It sounds okay when you started it, but its a pity you can't bring it on a test drive. History sounds good.

From my perspective, only a personal one... it would have to be significantly cheaper than a car without that issue for me to take a punt on it. Before buying, I'd get a professional opinion in person. If it was cheap enough, that would hopefully allow leeway for a costly repair. I'm not talking a few hundred cheaper either... if there's something seriously wrong, it could cost you a lot more than that. The price would have to be right basically and the mechanic would have to say its worth it.

I'd be inclined to bring a mechanic to inspect it before purchase. You'd likely have to pay the mechanic for his time, but I'd rather do that than buy a car that's a total lemon.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 18:02   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

if its really cheap it may be worth buying but factor in a possible replacement engine or /turbo/injectors try to run it up to full temperature and see if any of it clears check for oil over fill.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 19:42   #7
Mexinator

thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to check what repairs/replacements would cost for the worst case scenario and that into account in my max bidding price. Maybe also check if I can get a mechanic to check it out. If I end up winning(or losing depending on the cars state ) the auction I'll update this thread.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 09:06   #8
Gotcha

Good luck, and let us know what happend.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying advice, issue