Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Manul - HandBrake Concern?

Views : 2427

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 09:19   #21
peterfoxy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidy View Post
Got a manual here for the same reasons and I too was really worried but like another poster here I got used to it within a day, although after a month I was still reaching for a hand brake! It's fine now. Hill starts are trickier than hand brake but easy when you know how, same process as hand brake. I just find the bite is not so obvious in the XC90 as it was I'm my previous car.

The wife didn't have a single problem with the brake and loves the car.
We bought the XC90 manual for my wife. We both stalled it a few times during the test drive due to the foot brake and pulling away at a give way. It took a few days to get used to, and we dont give it a second thought now
peterfoxy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:04   #22
ally

It's probably my least favourite thing on the car, purely because with a manual gearbox you have to be in neutral in order to apply it, which isn't always ideal but other than that doesn't bother me at all, I got used to it very quickly & it's not my daily driver either.
My wife is not keen on it either but we both wanted the manual version of this car.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:21   #23
Lexon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This parking brake was demanded by the american market so we had to have it too .
Those with auto's that never use the parking brake will find it fails at MOT time due to rust build up on the parking brake drums .
Another point , if you put the car in P the front axle isnt locked , Just the crown wheel is which means both front wheels are still free to rotate in opposite directions .
A scenario of you parking on a steep hill and say the inner wheel is in the gutter where there is a lot of ice or snow or slippery leaves or mud , the car could roll down the hill with the wheel in the gutter rotating the opposite way assuming the other wheel has full grip on the tarmac . The accident investigators will find the car without the parking brake applied ! Hopefully you wont have killed anyone in the process ...
I have an Auto so not such a problem as manual. Parking brake is used when caravan is on tow. I dont quite get your point Clan as the Parking brake only locks the rear wheels anyway. The handbook says to depress the foot brake and then release the parking brake, wouldn't you require an extra leg in a manual when ones on the clutch and the others on the throttle LOL. Do you then just pull the hand release lever, as when I do that it makes a hell of a bang when the brakes come off.
Regards Lexon