Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locks, Keys and Fobs!!

Views : 963

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:55   #11
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Is your fob black Jeremy?
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 14:17   #12
jeremycolley

yes - it's black with grey buttons - in fact they both look the same from the outside. One works and one does not. There are some differences in the way the components are laid out on the PCB and - as I understand it, they work on different frequencies, so it will be down to which component governs the frequency. I'll take some pics of the insides of each when I get time and post them up here - J

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2012, 18:12   #13
Peter 62
Master Member

Sorted. Thanks again for the help.

Tried to get barrel out. Failed. Tried to take handle off. Failed

Ended up looking like this and getting frustrated

Decided that as card would have to come off anyway later, I'd take it off now. Another mission there of course, but I could see enough to let me know that I wasn't doing any damage, so pulled a bit harder. Once out cleaned it all up, had a good look, but still unable to get barrel out. Locking mechanism in door was fine, so problem had to be that this 'tongue' wasn't engaging.

Spent ages trying to get it back properly as the tongue just wasn't having it and kept slipping down the side of the plate that it was meant to locate into. Made it eventually and now all working fine.

As for the door card....this is what I now have

This is why part of it was loose (a previous attempt by somebody else had started it coming apart) and as that would need glueing I just pulled the outer off first. Any recommendations for best glue for getting that back together and sticking back the plastic locators for the lugs?

With this off I was able to confirm that I also have a broken door stay/retainer. With mine the plate that fixes it to the door has split into 2. Looks like a new part and just bolt it on as opposed to a weld that some have had to do. Plus the top bolt on that plate was sheared off as well. Christ knows what has happened in the past to cause this!!

Oh...and here is that blanking plug in the tailgate instead of a barrel. As you can see, looks like somebody in the past has had a little dig at it with a screwdriver!
Peter 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 18:38   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

its at this point i shall offer you a link

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57125

how to contact "Rufe" of FRF swansea
a main dealer who offer a % discount to forum users, how to contact them and get Gen parts at really rather nice prices.

dig out the VIN number of the car, note the phone number AND the discount code on the thread, and a new drivers door check can be yours at a nicely discounted price,

dont loose the link as any other bits n bobs you want they do ,,and at a discount

as for the door cards, i have in the past used "hot glue" from the hot gluegun to good effect
just try not to get it on the visable face,, it sticks and can be a mare to get off

line all the bits up First, check , clamp Then glue,
Old May 3rd, 2012, 21:32   #15
Peter 62
Master Member

Thank you Andy

Just got in so will save that link until tomorrow.

I forgot that I had a hot glue gun that I bought when I saw it on offer somewhere!! I'll see if I can find it and give it its first use.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:17   #16
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Nice photo's mate!
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:41   #17
Peter 62
Master Member

Dug out the hot glue gun and have used it for some of the smaller pieces (Lug locators etc) but it starts going off too fast and now way will I be able to use it for the 2 main parts of the card.

I did think that I could maybe do it in sections. Let one bit go off then flex it a bit and poke glue gun in and do next bit, but there is not enough give in the card itself.

I am maybe thinking PVA for the 'cardy; type surfaces that meet each other, but there is a fair section at the bottom where the other surface is plastic and I can't see PVA working there.

Any other suggestions anyone?

....ah....building adhesive!! That should do it!! Need to find one with a longer work time than Gripfill ideally...

2004 V70 Facelift, Auto Silver