Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Skid Temporarily Disabled/off

Views : 60735

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 17:38   #1
JohnDavo

Default Anti Skid Temporarily Disabled/off

Three times in the last two weeks I have had this error message ' anti skid temporarily off/disabled'. When this occurs it has been at start up and either disappears or is fine if I switch off and restart the car.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

John
JohnDavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 18:24   #2
crankie

i got this message for a while on my v70 same thing for about 30 secs,but it seems to have cleared its not happend for a long time now.
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 22:18   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I've had that message a few times (approx a Year ago) and have cleaned the ABS sensors and rings and message never came back. Sensors are easy to remove with the wheels off, and cleaned the rings with air compressor (lots of dust)
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 22:29   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDavo View Post
Three times in the last two weeks I have had this error message ' anti skid temporarily off/disabled'. When this occurs it has been at start up and either disappears or is fine if I switch off and restart the car.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

John
when i see this message the battery is usualy low , i would get it checked out .. This is the time of year when most weak batteries play up .
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 22:44   #5
JohnDavo

Thanks for the response guys.

Clan, any idea why a low battery would cause this? Could this mean the battery is on the way out?

Cheers.

John
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 22:57   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

if the battery supply to the ABS/DSTC system is low it may act unusualy so it is disabled temporarily . I sometimes ( not often ) see this message if the ignition has been on a while . Your volvo dealer will do you a free battery check with their sophisticated tester i'm sure ..
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 23:05   #7
Sportwag

I get this occasionally too. Usually when the car is first started and it clears by the time the car is driven a short distance, switched off and then on again. Car was serviced a month ago (latest software download apparently) and the dealer advised that it was something to do with wheel alignment and the active yaw sensor so this was reset?!?!? Still appearing infrequently so time to go back to the dealer again. I presume if it was battery related this should have shown up during the service?
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 15:54   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDavo View Post
Thanks for the response guys.

Clan, any idea why a low battery would cause this? Could this mean the battery is on the way out?

Cheers.

John
A Ctek battery charger will tell you if there is something wrong with the battery.

My Ctek has just told me there was a problem with mine and I replaced it although it was starting the car fine and the garage's tester indicated it had a full charge. I had noticed that the voltage in the RSE supply circuit was dropping to 9.5 volts when the car was turning the starter motor, (It was causing the media player to turn off) but I didn't know if that was normal for an XC90. It isn't for most other cars. Anyway the Ctek is happy with the new battery. The old one was 9 years old by the way.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 30th, 2012 at 15:57. Reason: Additional info
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 20:08   #9
judgeman

Logged on to post about this as it has happened to me recently, most recent was this morning, so concerned about what it may be. I had a 'battery low' warning after car parked up for 3 days a few weeks ago, so possible battery. Four days a week I drive 17miles each way to and from work, so gets a good 30mins run each time (of course lights on as usually dark this time of year, and air con and radio on, but little else).

Will defo get battery check at the weekend (hope it's nothing more serious as the car has been behaving itself these past few months!).
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to judgeman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 21:35   #10
JohnDavo

Update on this.

Had the car into my local indi today ( who is very good by the way) who read the codes which seemed to point to the steering angle sensor being the problem. However, he has cleared the codes and uploaded the latest software and told me that this may solve the problem. If it doesn't though then it looks like a new steering angle sensor.

Does anyone have any experience of this or know how much these cost?

Cheers

John
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnDavo For This Useful Post: