Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Simcard Slot and Bluetooth

Views : 3702

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 22:19   #1
bokabil

Default Simcard Slot and Bluetooth

My XC90 has both Bluetooth and Simcard Slot "built-in"...

I have been using Bluetooth to pair with my phone and this works no problem so never even bothered to insert a simcard into the slot.

However, I do forget my phone from time to time and I can't imagine thinking what if I need to make a call for an emergency. Anyway, so I got myself a pre-paid simcard to be used as backup. To be sure, I tested said simcard on my phone and it works (receive and initiate calls).

So off to the car, when I inserted simcard into the car, nothing seems to happen. I push the "Phone" button and I see the option of "Add phone". When I select this, it tells me to activate bluetooth on the phone so it can be paired which is not what i want to do. It seems that the simcard I inserted is not recognized.

So my question, is bluetooth and simcard-slot supposed to work side-by-side? I did try to "remove" all paired phones to simulate a fresh start but the simcard still was not recognized. How do I even know that the simcard is recognized and ready to use?

Thanks.
bokabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 12:54   #2
Aeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokabil View Post
My XC90 has both Bluetooth and Simcard Slot "built-in"...

I have been using Bluetooth to pair with my phone and this works no problem so never even bothered to insert a simcard into the slot.

However, I do forget my phone from time to time and I can't imagine thinking what if I need to make a call for an emergency. Anyway, so I got myself a pre-paid simcard to be used as backup. To be sure, I tested said simcard on my phone and it works (receive and initiate calls).

So off to the car, when I inserted simcard into the car, nothing seems to happen. I push the "Phone" button and I see the option of "Add phone". When I select this, it tells me to activate bluetooth on the phone so it can be paired which is not what i want to do. It seems that the simcard I inserted is not recognized.

So my question, is bluetooth and simcard-slot supposed to work side-by-side? I did try to "remove" all paired phones to simulate a fresh start but the simcard still was not recognized. How do I even know that the simcard is recognized and ready to use?

Thanks.
The inbuilt phone may have been disabled by the dealer. I understand this is possible and some choose to do this when they have bluetooth fitted.
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 12:58   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

How old is your car and does it have Volvo on Call - that gives you a sim card slot in the glove box but its for data only.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 14:30   #4
bokabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
The inbuilt phone may have been disabled by the dealer. I understand this is possible and some choose to do this when they have bluetooth fitted.
I'll get in touch with my dealer to see if they disabled it. Thanks.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 14:31   #5
bokabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
How old is your car and does it have Volvo on Call - that gives you a sim card slot in the glove box but its for data only.
It's MY2014.

I don't have Volvo On-Call. It was an option that I decided not to add.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 21:26   #6
bokabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokabil View Post
I'll get in touch with my dealer to see if they disabled it. Thanks.
Ok, so my dealer tells me that the simcard function is activated in my car. I tried again today but I still cannot call the simcard.

I would expect that I simply need to insert a simcard into the holder and it will work without further buttons to press. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Anyway, its not an urgent issue and hopefully will be sorted in the next service.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 21:50   #7
Funky Diver
FD

The network your trying to use is either a 900 or 1800 GSM network with corresponding SIM as that may be what is fitted to your car?
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 12:03   #8
Chesney46

I stuck an O2 sim card in mine (MY2003) and it works fine. However, after about a month it needed topping up even though I hardly use it.
Can be tricky though as my screen isn't working, takes a bit of guess work to dial a number correctly!
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 12:23   #9
Funky Diver
FD

Same here... I've had O2, Vodafone, Orange, EE and Sainsbury Mobile SIMs in the car and they all work.

Daft question time... you have tried turning the phone on haven't you? Press and hold the Phone button on the dash and the display should change to Phone. If there is no SIM in the slot you won't be able to get the message off the screen until you either insert one or turn the phone back off again.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 08:44   #10
bokabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
The network your trying to use is either a 900 or 1800 GSM network with corresponding SIM as that may be what is fitted to your car?
I can't find in my car manual which GSM network it is set to...

In any case, I bought both the car and simcard locally so I expect them to work together as they were marketed for the local market I'm in..