Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC 90 D5 Inscription observations in the first 2 weeks

Views : 1957

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:17   #1
XC90Newbee

Default New XC 90 D5 Inscription observations in the first 2 weeks

I moved from Audi Q7 to XC90 as I was super impressed by the quality & quantity of technology available in the XC 90 in comparison to Q7. However here are a few annoying bits

1. The ambient lighting is a huge letdown in comparison to the one available on Audi's. It took me a week to figure out where is it exactly as I was able to change the colors but couldn't see the color change as I was expecting it to be present around the dash & door arm-rest but it turns out to be a led light next to the reading lamps which don't do anything.

2. I can't seem to access the radio channel library/other media on the driver display unit which was easily accessible and available on Audi Virtual Cockpit.

3. The diesel clutter and vibrations are felt on the gas pedal & the steering wheel and it's very uncomfortable over long journeys. Does anyone else feel the same?

4. There is a constant whistling sound coming from the blower unit, I am assuming it isn't normal and needs to be checked.

5. Why do I need to change the driving mode every time shouldn't it pick the last one by default?

6. No door puddle projector lamps. Has anyone tried replacing the door puddle lamps with Volvo logo projector lamps?

7. DAB reception is very intermittent, I still live in the same area and never had any issues with the Q7 but Volvo's DAB is terrible and there is an echo which isn't there when I switch to FM.

8. There is a black box and an ugly black thick wire underneath the driver seat which is protruding out. Is this normal

Any thoughts, observations or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:21   #2
jmot

4. There is a constant whistling sound coming from the blower unit, I am assuming it isn't normal and needs to be checked.

I have this when in auto climate set to fan speed 4, i put it back to 3 and it goes back to normal

Good luck
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:39   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

Are you moving from the current Q7 or previous generation?

I'm currently considering a move the other way! Grass is always greener on the other side and all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Newbee View Post
1. The ambient lighting is a huge letdown in comparison to the one available on Audi's. It took me a week to figure out where is it exactly as I was able to change the colors but couldn't see the color change as I was expecting it to be present around the dash & door arm-rest but it turns out to be a led light next to the reading lamps which don't do anything.
No, its very low key compared to many of the competition, who currently seem to be competing for the brightest and most elaborate LED interior lighting!

Quote:
2. I can't seem to access the radio channel library/other media on the driver display unit which was easily accessible and available on Audi Virtual Cockpit.
Nope, that's how it works. We miss being able to scroll radio stations, artists, playlists etc. from our past Audis (and they didn't even have virtual cockpit). Volvo tell you what you need, and that's it, full stop. Unless you like simplicity and minimal features, the Volvo drivers display is pretty crap compared to Audi Virtual Cockpit.
Quote:
3. The diesel clutter and vibrations are felt on the gas pedal & the steering wheel and it's very uncomfortable over long journeys. Does anyone else feel the same?
You've come from a silky smooth Audi 6 pot to a sh*ty little Volvo 4 pot, which I'm afraid is probably the weakest link of the XC90, the clatter is normal, the engine doesn't sound great under pressure, and there is some vibration compared to German rivals with 6 pots. Not sure that you should be experiencing quite so much vibration through the steering wheel and pedals however.
Quote:
No, not normal. Are you sure you haven't got all the vents closed? Try opening all vents and see if that gets rid of it. Don't miss the rear seat b-pillar vents too.
Quote:
5. Why do I need to change the driving mode every time shouldn't it pick the last one by default?
Yes, you have to, constant gripe of many users on the forum. Collectively I think we've assumed its to do with meeting emissions regulations. Does Audi remember your setting?
Quote:
6. No door puddle projector lamps. Has anyone tried replacing the door puddle lamps with Volvo logo projector lamps?
No, that's maybe a bit flash for Volvo, the lamps under the door handles do the job quite fine!
Quote:
7. DAB reception is very intermittent, I still live in the same area and never had any issues with the Q7 but Volvo's DAB is terrible and there is an echo which isn't there when I switch to FM.
Never noticed this or had any particular problems with DAB, but then we use it very little. Tend to listen to Spotify or BBC stations on FM (FM quality better than DAB to my ears).
Quote:
8. There is a black box and an ugly black thick wire underneath the driver seat which is protruding out. Is this normal
Yes, there is a black box under the seat, not sure what it is. AMP? Never noticed any black cable sticking out. Where does it stick out, in front or behind the seat, do you have your seat very far back?

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:44   #4
rubachuk

I have R-Design trim, so maybe some of my comments aren't 100% accurate.

1. I have downlights which run along the top of the dash and door trim. I've never tried messing with the colours but I assume these are what you were expecting. Not sure if there are any light in the footwells too, I don't have the car with me. Maybe you have an issue there.

3. Not something I've ever noticed.

4. Don't have this noise on mine.

5. A one second job, but I agree.

6. I'm sure I have puddle lamps, also lamps to illuminate the recess behind the handles. Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if you don't have puddle lamps, how are you going to change them for Volvo logo bulbs? If you are missing puddle lamps could there be a link between this and your missing ambient lighting?

7. Not experience any problems with mine. But then again it's my first car with DAB so nothing to compare it to!
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:48   #5
XC90Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Are you moving from the current Q7 or previous generation?

I'm currently considering a move the other way! Grass is always greener on the other side and all...

No, its very low key compared to many of the competition, who currently seem to be competing for the brightest and most elaborate LED interior lighting!

Nope, that's how it works. We miss being able to scroll radio stations, artists, playlists etc. from our past Audis (and they didn't even have virtual cockpit). Volvo tell you what you need, and that's it, full stop. Unless you like simplicity and minimal features, the Volvo drivers display is pretty crap compared to Audi Virtual Cockpit.

You've come from a silky smooth Audi 6 pot to a sh*ty little Volvo 4 pot, which I'm afraid is probably the weakest link of the XC90, the clatter is normal, the engine doesn't sound great under pressure, and there is some vibration compared to German rivals with 6 pots. Not sure that you should be experiencing quite so much vibration through the steering wheel and pedals however.

No, not normal. Are you sure you haven't got all the vents closed? Try opening all vents and see if that gets rid of it. Don't miss the rear seat b-pillar vents too.

Yes, you have to, constant gripe of many users on the forum. Collectively I think we've assumed its to do with meeting emissions regulations. Does Audi remember your setting?

No, that's maybe a bit flash for Volvo, the lamps under the door handles do the job quite fine!

Never noticed this or had any particular problems with DAB, but then we use it very little. Tend to listen to Spotify or BBC stations on FM (FM quality better than DAB to my ears).

Yes, there is a black box under the seat, not sure what it is. AMP? Never noticed any black cable sticking out. Where does it stick out, in front or behind the seat, do you have your seat very far back?

The cable is at the back, I keep my seat in the middle so its always visible and looks rather bad.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 12:58   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
The cable is at the back, I keep my seat in the middle so its always visible and looks rather bad.
No, i don't think this is normal then. I've hoovered my car many many times, and often put both front seats right forwards to get right under them from the back and have never seen a cable sticking out.

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 13:14   #7
uro1

Quote:

Are You sure it is not the "lane keeping assistant" you are feeling on the steering wheel?

I have a D5 and no vibrations on the pas pedal. Let that check in the garage.
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 13:25   #8
HamDenFede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post

I have this when in auto climate set to fan speed 4, i put it back to 3 and it goes back to normal

Good luck
Had this on my XC60 for almost a year as well, but it was affecting fan speed 2, 3 and 4, depending on the outside temperature (worse in cold weather). Brought it in for a fix under warranty, and apparently they changed the entire blower main unit. This did not only solve the noise problem, but also made the entire climate system in the car way more efficient...more air simply came through at the same fan speeds compared to before. To me it sounds like you have a faulty unit.
HamDenFede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamDenFede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 13:29   #9
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDenFede View Post
Had this on my XC60 for almost a year as well, but it was affecting fan speed 2, 3 and 4, depending on the outside temperature (worse in cold weather). Brought it in for a fix under warranty, and apparently they changed the entire blower main unit. This did not only solve the noise problem, but also made the entire climate system in the car way more efficient...more air simply came through at the same fan speeds compared to before. To me it sounds like you have a faulty unit.
oh... hahaha, i'll add it to the list of complaints on mine then
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 13:44   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
Are You sure it is not the "lane keeping assistant" you are feeling on the steering wheel?

I have a D5 and no vibrations on the pas pedal. Let that check in the garage.

This

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote