Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 No AWD Want to report this to BBC Watch Dog

Views : 100463

Replies : 432

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 14:01   #101
Beeman

Default Must have only been driving in straight lines with my XC 90

To Roy and jtaw - if from the begining you didn't have rear wheel drive to kick in how would you ever know this feeling on accelerating hard through bends???
Perhaps you are very presumptious as well as perceptive!!!
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 15:33   #102
nav18tor

Although I suspect I will never have this problem as mine is an 08 and should have the updated drive components, I do agree that it would be impossible for me to know if the 4wd was working in normal driving because of the cars behaviour

Unless there is a before and after, how would I know what it was supposed to be doing? and if it was doing it at all?

I have now driven in snow, and over a few muddy fields and the General Grappers UHP's have proved great, and I can only presume the 4wd worked as I did not get stuck

I have a new car every 18 months and drive 35,000 miles a year, so am used to different behaviour/handling etc but unless there was a light would never know if all was OK beneath me.....
nav18tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 16:31   #103
jtaw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
To Roy and jtaw - if from the begining you didn't have rear wheel drive to kick in how would you ever know this feeling on accelerating hard through bends???
If you've ever driven a rear wheel drive car and a front wheel drive car you'll instantly feel the difference when driving as described.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 16:55   #104
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by languageservicesco View Post
Hi Roy,

. My personal feeling regarding this thread is that the lack of such an indication, or any check in the servicing schedule, is sufficient to call it dangerous, and incompetent at best.

Cheers,

Kevin
Hi Kevin

I'd be interested to know who said what in relation to it not being covered in the service schedule. Volvo's own XC90 check sheet has the following annual service items....

Drive shafts/ propshafts.....check/report

Road test vehicle..............Check/report

Even if owners are not sure how the vehicle should feel, shouldn't the Main Dealers, given that they charge well over £100 an hour for the annual service?

Roy
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 17:01   #105
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
True, I have assumed that the XC90 is not a novices car and that the car was working when purchased. If the AWD wasn't working when purchased you would have had to researched the AWD info to find out about the car, but this is the technical forum of the club, so I hope you will forgive me if my assumtions were incorrect.

Roy
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 17:04   #106
nav18tor

£278.00 for an 18,000 mile (the first)service in a main dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Hi Kevin

I'd be interested to know who said what in relation to it not being covered in the service schedule. Volvo's own XC90 check sheet has the following annual service items....

Drive shafts/ propshafts.....check/report

Road test vehicle..............Check/report

Even if owners are not sure how the vehicle should feel, shouldn't the Main Dealers, given that they charge well over £100 an hour for the annual service?

Roy
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 19:06   #107
gazza12345

I have a XC70 D5 geartronic. It went into volvo to investigate anti skid warning light on. it ended up needing a DEM (4 wheel drive unit) This was at 155.000miles at a cost of £1536.66p.
I had load of fun in the snow. 4wheel drive was working spot on.
& when pushing on hard in wet weather round bends or roundabouts you can tell when the 4 wheel drive is kicking in. It does things you don't exspect it to do.
gazza12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 19:33   #108
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Default Getting back on track...

Ok, AWD resumed.

Stripped spline shaft on MY05, 53k. Cause unknown. No, the shaft has not been redesigned, no they do not actively check the AWD at service (visual check/report on drive/propshafts condition only - all according to SMgr. He could be wrong). I found it most telling that the service staff knew a great deal about the AG and the sleeve itself, almost predicting my questions. Much more than would be expected for a "relatively uncommon" failure. Anyway...

£87.50 for new sleeve
£246 for labour to remove AG, replace sleeve & seals.

I have to say, the difference is virtually imperceptible, certainly not chalk and cheese despite having made sure it was AWD around those bends (and yes, have driven many 4wd,fwd,rwd). There is a degree of feedback but if you don't know what you're looking for I think the average driver would never know.

Agree with languageservicesco in that this thread is moving away from its original point. I still think there are loads of XC90s out there on 2WD with owners none the wiser. A tiny fraction of owners actually post on these forums - its not a true representation.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 21:20   #109
nav18tor

What is the highest mileage on a XC90 achieved by forum members?
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 21:38   #110
4wheeldriver
Master Member

4611 and still a week to go by without a fault!! Mind you its Friday tomorrow and if it makes it to 8pm then thats a week. Mind you its done 11 miles this week lol