Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'05 S60R Key Fob Program

Views : 1726

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2016, 19:01   #1
wfcorn

Default '05 S60R Key Fob Program

Hello,

I was having a locksmith make 2 new keys for my '05 S60R, one was non-remote just for backup while the other was a remote lock/unlock flip key FOB.

Both keys work when manually locking/unlocking the vehicle and they both will start the vehicle but he was unable to program the FOB to remotely lock/unlock the vehicle.

While in Vida and downloading the new FOB to the vehicle for the remote portion it was given a download failed error. Looking at the faults it was giving a UEM failure as the cause. I tried resetting the UEM, lock/unlock door 3 times manually from the driver's side door, but this did not fix the issue and we were still unable to program the FOB for remote locking and unlocking.

My SCM is failed, and has been for sometime. But I can't figure out why this would cause the UEM to not download a new FOB for remote entry. Also even with a failed SCM my sunroof still operates. Currently my sunroof and all windows operate normally and I have no messages when starting the vehicle, for some reason I'm not getting the Alarm Module Service Required message right now either.

Based on the sunroof and windows operating I can only assume that my UEM is operating properly but it is still giving the failure when trying to program the new FOB. Any ideas/suggestions for the cause and/or fix to this problem? I've called the dealership and they agree that a failed SCM should not cause the UEM to not accept a new FOB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Will
wfcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 19:20   #2
wise old monkey
Premier Member

only volvo can program volvo keys
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 19:21   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

You need a software download from Volvo themselves to programme a new remote fob.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 04:15   #4
wfcorn

He had the Volvo software and had a Volvo tech on the phone. He was also able to program 2 keys that could start the car using the software that he had. I can't imagine that the security to program remote entry would be higher than ignition programming and he was able to do that twice. I looked at the software that he was using and it was the same that I've seen at the dealerships. I just can't figure out what would be causing it to say a UEM failure while the UEM is operating fine for the windows and sunroof.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 08:56   #5
reggit
Premier Member

It sounds like your locksmith has a Volvo subscribed vida installation.

Have him check how many keyfobs the car thinks are installed, it can only support a certain number - 4 I think but I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong.

If it is already at the maximum, he'll need to remove others that you aren't in possession of.

Other than that wild stab in the dark, I've no idea I'm afraid (unless the uem is faulty)
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 10:58   #6
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise old monkey View Post
only volvo can program volvo keys
Or someone who has bought the full diagnostics package complete with subscription to Volvo like my local indy who did keys for me.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 15:52   #7
wfcorn

So there are quite a few keys registered on the vehicle, I think 6 right now, I didn't have him delete any of the old ones, but I don't think that is the problem. I'm going to try and attach pictures I took of the fault diagnostics page, sorry for the flash in the middle of the pictures.

Looking at the fault symptoms listed in the third picture, I don't have any of the symptoms listed. If it is maxed out on the number of keys assigned to the vehicle would it give a different fault?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160810_131601483.jpg (163.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160810_131605707.jpg (149.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160810_131609915.jpg (162.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by wfcorn; Aug 11th, 2016 at 15:55.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 16:00   #8
wfcorn

Just pulled up the owners manual and the max # of keys might be the reason, attached is the page from the manual.

Was talking with the locksmith, and the key that won't program for remote entry is the 6 key in the system, so that shouldn't be the issue...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf S60_owners_manual_MY05_EN_tp7505.pdf (91.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by wfcorn; Aug 11th, 2016 at 16:09. Reason: Update
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 22:27   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think if it were me, I'd get all the other keys deleted. For all you know, the previous owner has another key and knows where you live, so might pop round one evening and help himself to your car.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key, scm, uem