Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6 vs 2.0 diesel

Views : 26222

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 13:16   #1
Baffler
Premier Member

Default 1.6 vs 2.0 diesel

Hello folks,

I have been tasked with sourcing a '06 1.6D SE S40, for a close friend of mine, but there are not many about. The 2.0D is widely available but, as she has no interest in performance or power, it's not exactly what she's after.

A lot of the 1.6 examples, I have seen to date, have relatively high mileage for the year so I'm curious to know what are the weak points on the 1.6 diesel engine with an average 90 to 100k miles?

One example I viewed last night had oil all over the charge pipe between the rad and engine cover and the valve under the front left of the cover was fairly wet with oil too... Is this an EGR issue? Is it easily rectified?

What are the cam belt intervals for both units?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 13:43   #2
faffi
Motorcyclist

Luck and service history is more important than mileage when it comes to what you can expect of trouble - or not. I would easily step away from any car that wasn't in perfect mechanical condition with a perfect service history unless you are a skilled mechanic that doesn't mind getting your hands dirty and that the price was good enough to make it worth while. Generally speaking, though, getting the cleanest, best maintained car virtually always turns out the better deal over time.

EDIT: Would she consider a petrol? Virtually every issue related to engines seems to affect diesels. One would have to think petrols are a lot less affected by troubles.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 21:13   #3
S40Matt

The 1.6d has problems with turbos unless oil and filter is changed regularly, these turbos are dropping like flys at the moment.

The PSA 1.6HDi, DV6TED4 engine is a highly sophisticated low emission, high power diesel unit.

It is used in many different applications; Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Peugeot and Volvo.

Due to the engine being clean and powerful, it is designed to operate at high temperatures, which demands the very best lubricants.

These lubricants must be maintained in peak condition and PSA have fitted an in-line oil filter to the turbo and an integral oil cooler/oil filter to this engine to ensure this. However, there is a drawback to this; reports in the field indicate that if the engine has been operated with the oil level below normal limits, this may potentially cause a high concentration of carbon in the oil.

This may then lead to blockage of the in-line filter, oil cooler and main oil filter, which will eventually bring on premature turbo failure.

The vacuum pump may also suffer from this same type of contamination.
However, due to its high operating speeds (230,000 revs per minute) the turbo will usually be the first to show signs of damage.

This can happen from 30,000 miles onwards if the oil level and correct oil change intervals/procedure have not been adhered to.

Also can suffer from leaking injector washers (pig to remove if you don't keep a close eye on them and change the washers).

Dual mass fly wheel and Diesel Particulate Filter get problems but I luckily haven't had any issues on mine yet.

I think these are the main things that are known to fail but if treated right they can be a good engine.

I'm happy with mine but don't mind getting my hands dirty!

Last edited by S40Matt; Feb 16th, 2011 at 21:17.
S40Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S40Matt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 22:55   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40Matt View Post
It is used in many different applications; Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Peugeot and Volvo.
The C , F + P words should say all thats needed imho..
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 23:06   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
The C , F + P words should say all thats needed imho..
yes ! and those are the troublesome ones , Volvo versions are remarkably reliable so far suffering very few of the complaints listed above , citroen versions have them all!
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 23:14   #6
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

buy a 1.8 petrol, simple... just as quick, probably much cheaper to buy - unless you're planning on intergalactic mileage it's a moot point if you'd make your money back on a diesel anyway.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 23:32   #7
S40Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes ! and those are the troublesome ones , Volvo versions are remarkably reliable so far suffering very few of the complaints listed above , citroen versions have them all!
I agree. The guy that owned my car before me ran up 160, 000 miles and serviced it badly so it was no great shock to have to replace a turbo and fix 2 blowing injectors. I think mine is a bit of an excepton but look after it as with any modern diesel it should do many more miles.

Cambelt sould be done around 140ish on the 1.6 and maybe the same for the 2.0 but I'm not 100% sure.

Oh and a little bit of oil in the charge pipe is normal isn't it Clan?

Last edited by S40Matt; Feb 16th, 2011 at 23:42.
S40Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 01:30   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Oh and a little bit of oil in the charge pipe is normal isn't it Clan?
Traces of oil in the charge pipe, yes, quite normal, but not all over the outside of it. There was even traces of oil on the underside of the bonnet.

Went to see another tonight and, although it had 106k miles, the engine sounded much quieter/smoother than the one I viewed the previous night with 81k miles. Interesting what you mention about using quality lubricants but, leaving quality aside for a moment, I'm beginning to wonder was the correct grade of oil even used in that 81k example...

Eolys fluid...how often does it need topping up? 75k miles right?

Thanks for all your replies so far folks

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 07:52   #9
mjcourtney
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
buy a 1.8 petrol, simple... just as quick, probably much cheaper to buy - unless you're planning on intergalactic mileage it's a moot point if you'd make your money back on a diesel anyway.
But then my 1.8 2005 S40 is the most unreliable car I've ever owned and has cost me £3k in repairs in 18 months.... can't win! Think I'll stick to a push bike! (Although a 2.0TDI Audi A3 is looking like a tempting choice at the moment....)
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 12:30   #10
dufeua

Quote:
The 1.6d has problems with turbos unless oil and filter is changed regularly, these turbos are dropping like flys at the moment.

The PSA 1.6HDi, DV6TED4 engine is a highly sophisticated low emission, high power diesel unit.

Due to the engine being clean and powerful, it is designed to operate at high temperatures, which demands the very best lubricants.

These lubricants must be maintained in peak condition and PSA have fitted an in-line oil filter to the turbo and an integral oil cooler/oil filter to this engine to ensure this. However, there is a drawback to this; reports in the field indicate that if the engine has been operated with the oil level below normal limits, this may potentially cause a high concentration of carbon in the oil.

This may then lead to blockage of the in-line filter, oil cooler and main oil filter, which will eventually bring on premature turbo failure.

The vacuum pump may also suffer from this same type of contamination.
However, due to its high operating speeds (230,000 revs per minute) the turbo will usually be the first to show signs of damage.

This can happen from 30,000 miles onwards if the oil level and correct oil change intervals/procedure have not been adhered to.

Also can suffer from leaking injector washers (pig to remove if you don't keep a close eye on them and change the washers).

Dual mass fly wheel and Diesel Particulate Filter get problems but I luckily haven't had any issues on mine yet.

I think these are the main things that are known to fail but if treated right they can be a good engine.

I'm happy with mine but don't mind getting my hands dirty!
Good info there - thanks.
Does this apply to all of Volvo 1.6d fitted to all models including drivE to date please?
Again does this engine designation DV6TED4 apply to all of the above [Volvo's] and/or alternatively when did Volvo start to fit it ? That might not be an easy question as Euro3/4/5 apply but I am guessing they are all a derivative of the DV6TED4??

Last edited by dufeua; Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:39.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote