Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Head Lights, can I do anything?

Views : 23333

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 13:48   #1
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Default Weak Head Lights, can I do anything?

I have an 08 S40 R-Design Sport. I have the standard headlights but they seem really weak. I put on the front fog lights to give them a helping hand but I should not really have to do that and the improvement is only marginal.
If I put the lights on full beam then the improvement is huge but standard dipped are feeble.
This is my first Volvo and my expectation on things such as lights would be that they are class leading as so much of the winter in Sweden is dark but my previous Citroen and Seat both wipe the floor with my S40 on dipped headlights.
Any thoughts?
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey1512 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 13:59   #2
mjcourtney
VOC Member

I had the same problem, not sure whether it was beam pattern, cut off angle or light intensity. In the end I manually adjusted the beam height using the adjusters on the light units under the bonnet (as you can increase the height more than just using the dash control), and then replaced the dipped beam bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers. Much better now

If you do adjust the light units make sure the beam pattern is still within the MOT limits, if they're too high then it will fail the MOT as they will dazzle oncoming traffic.
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjcourtney For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 14:25   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Much appreciated. I have looked at a few different forums and the Nightbreakers consistently get recommended. It is a shame Volvo do not fit them or an equivalent as standard.
Are there any issues with replacing the bulbs, will it affect the electronics/software of the car?, is there a technique to it or is it just a straightforward job?
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey1512 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 14:37   #4
mjcourtney
VOC Member

5 minute job to change both, make sure you get the correct type bulbs. In my 2005 model they're H7 but best to check your manual to make sure. No issues with software or electronics in the car, it just sees it as a standard bulb.

When you take the headlight unit out of the car make sure you've got a clean surface to place it on, as you don't want to scratch the lenses. The procedure is quite well explained in your handbook.

Changing the bulb won't affect the beam pattern, but should give you a whiter / brighter dipped beam.
mjcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjcourtney For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 16:28   #5
bryand
C30 devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I have an 08 S40 R-Design Sport. I have the standard headlights but they seem really weak. I put on the front fog lights to give them a helping hand but I should not really have to do that and the improvement is only marginal.
Front foglights won't give your headlights a 'helping hand', they will just annoy oncoming drivers. Their use in anything other than impaired visibility is illegal.
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bryand For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 23:00   #6
HeliFella

Have a look at

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...bulb_test.html

They've done all the hard work. Worth a try.

HeliFella (Member of I.A.M.)
*2009 V50 D5 R-Design Sport*
...At Last... Definately worth the wait!
HeliFella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeliFella For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:01   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post
Front foglights won't give your headlights a 'helping hand', they will just annoy oncoming drivers. Their use in anything other than impaired visibility is illegal.
According to the Highway Code foglights should only be used in sub 100m visibility. Given the number of folk that drive with them on these days there are either a lot of ill-informed or visibly impaired drivers.

I replaced all the dipped, main and fog bulbs with Xenon gas type bulbs from a variety of sources. The main and fog bulbs were from autobulbsdirect.co.uk and the dipped bulbs are Halfords Super Brilliance (or something like that). Halfords are currently selling those bulbs on buy one get one free until the end of this month or something like that.

I've also used Osram silverstars and a few others. Almost all Xenon filled 50% or 90% bulbs are better than standard halogen I have found as not only are they brighter but the light is whiter rather than yellowish. As previously recommended, make sure the alignment of your lights is right as Volvo set mine way too low.

Hope that's of help.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 16:36   #8
Harvey1512
Premier Member

One last thought, partly too late as I have bought a set of Night Breakers now, but what is the lifespan of these type of bulbs? Are they less than standard bulbs?
My car is a company car and so will go back in two years, 21 months now to be precise. I will probably do another 30,000 miles and as it is a Volvo the lights are on permanently for that time. Will this set see me through or will I need to replace them at some point?
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:14   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Just an update for anyone viewing this, I fitted the new, brighter bulbs yesterday. It was a relatively simple job but I would recommend you have someone to help you. It is just easier with two pairs of hands. The new bulbs have made an instant difference, the light is now much cleaner and cuts through the darkness better.
I suspect the alignment probably does need lifting but I am a little wary of doing that myself as I do not want to dazzle on coming traffic so I will wait until the next service and let the garage check it. My Volvo dealer is 20 miles away near to a city centre so it is not easy to just pop in.
It will be interesting to see how long the bulbs last as that will determine if they are value for money. For instant impact however I have been very impressed so far.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:52   #10
alfiembra

The headlight alignment is not adjustable AFAIK its pre-set. you can use the adjuster on the switch to adjust them down for carrying loads but if already at the 0 position on the adjuster that is as high as they will get.

I'm trying to resolve the very same issue with mine, my drivers side is ok but I'm sure the passenger side is too low and pointing too far into the kerb so I see a pronounced "black hole" where I need light.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote