Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 S40 - Help! :(

Views : 476

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 21:20   #1
Rango

Default 2008 S40 - Help! :(

Hi all,

I'm new here but I was just wondering if anyone can help at all..

Issue similar to :
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=238329&page=2

but OP not been online for some time...
Also my issue started last summer so not cold start related..

*Original issue
Difficult to start, running 'lumpy' and cutting out while running

The car no longer starts, not even with a little spray.

The car has been in the garage (not Volvo dealer) for several weeks now and he is struggling to find the problem, after I had basically done everything I could with it.. I think me clearing the codes didn't help him either!

What I've done:
Replaced fuel filter
Added hand pump to fuel line (before filter)
Replaced fuel rail and pressure sensor
Replaced crank sensor
Replaced cam sensor
Replaced throttle body/MAF
Replaced spill pipes, requiring removal of inlet manifold which had a thorough clean while off
Cleaned EGR valve/relating pipes

Checked codes using Vida which indicated many of the above issues hence the replacement of parts. There are no longer any codes present.

I can't afford to scrap the car, had it over 6 years and I love it but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks in advance.
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 14:07   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Was it necessary to put a hand bulb before the filter ?

I understand the 2006+ D5s run on very high fuel pressures, and do not like ANY interruption in the system. Hence I cannot use a Liquid Moly Fuel Purge cleaner as a maintenance option on mine.

I only suggest this as it maybe that the fuel is not reaching where it needs to be, due to fuel pressure.

Also, having used spray, I assume you mean Easy Start ? Never a good thing to use to much of this to get a car going, Ive been reliably told.

Running rough and cutting out when applying throttle, all relates to bad fuelling in my opinion.

I would also suggest, you use VIDA for more than just reading the codes and clearing them.... It can give you so much more information on fuel pressure, injector regulation, than just look and clear.

Last edited by colinbos; Feb 25th, 2018 at 14:11.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 23:38   #3
Rango

Hi colinbos, thanks for the reply.

It was fitted due to having issues getting the fuel through the system after a filter change, also helped get rid of air bubbles in the clear fuel line. This version is notoriously difficult to start after a filter change apparently..

I've heard 'back to black' is better than easy start for this type of diesel engine, but yes we used easy start to get it running, which it had been a few times until I tried actually driving it!

I attempted to read fuel pressures, but I'm what you'd call a noob with Vida so wasn't sure where to look. At the fuel pressure sensor prior to turning over it shows 4500 hPa.. not sure what it's meant to be though.

Thanks again
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote