Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M46 Overdrive problem. Help?!

Views : 516

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:18   #1
MarcF

Default M46 Overdrive problem. Help?!

Hi Guys,

Please let me introduce myself.

I'm Marc, and live in the Netherlands. This weekend I bought a 1994 Volvo 960 16v Turbo Estate. A very nice car with full options, but it has an issue unfortunately.

The overdrive does not work on the M46.

Whenever I push the button in fourth, tried it at various speeds with the clutch engaged and disengaged, the light comes on, but the overdrive does not engage. Very annoying while driving on the highway. It just stays in fourth basically.

Strange thing is, that when it shows OD engaged (5 light comes on), and I release the throttle and want to engine brake, the revs drop down to idle, so engine braking is not possible. When I do this with the OD disengaged, it just engine brakes, so it seems that there is a mechanical problem.

Can someone please help me, or has had the same troubles and has some tips?

Thanks,

Marc
MarcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:09   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Welcome aboard Marc! Have you checked the condition and level of the gearbox oil?
Also it sounds as if the solenoid on the gearbox that provides hydraulic pressure (from the oil in the box) to the overdrive mechanism could be sticky so that it's not fully engaging the overdrive gears but also that the freewheel clutch in the overdrive is doing its job.

Could also be a dirty connection on the solenoid, bad earth on the gearbox/overdrive or similar.

The good thing is overdrives a relatively simple with not much to go wrong so there won't be much to check other than the above.

Could also be lack of use - if the previous owner used it mainly for town driving there's a high chance overdrive wasn't engaged for a long period of time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 14:04   #3
MarcF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Welcome aboard Marc! Have you checked the condition and level of the gearbox oil?
Also it sounds as if the solenoid on the gearbox that provides hydraulic pressure (from the oil in the box) to the overdrive mechanism could be sticky so that it's not fully engaging the overdrive gears but also that the freewheel clutch in the overdrive is doing its job.

Could also be a dirty connection on the solenoid, bad earth on the gearbox/overdrive or similar.

The good thing is overdrives a relatively simple with not much to go wrong so there won't be much to check other than the above.

Could also be lack of use - if the previous owner used it mainly for town driving there's a high chance overdrive wasn't engaged for a long period of time.
Hi, thanks!

Have not checked the oil. The previous owner who's owned the car the last year has only driven it around Amsterdam, and also only rarely. Last year only couple thousand km's. So could be that he never used OD.

What should I do then, to check this, apart from the oil?

Marc
MarcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 16:09   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Based on my experience of other machinery that has used a similar system, i'd first check the solenoid.
From what i can make out in the Haynes book of Fantasy (Haynes Workshop Manual) the solenoid is on the left hand rear end of the gearbox, a cylindrical shaped animal with electrical connections - the plunger inside it is likely to be the part that's sticking.

If you find there's no obvious way of removing the solenoid without removing the overdrive and/or gearbox, check and perhaps change the gearbox oil.

Once you know the oil at least is ok, i think the answer will almost certainly lie in using it.

What i would try is driving along a flat road at about 45-60mph (70-100kmh) in 4th gear, gentle throttle (just enough to maintain speed) and switch O/D in then out again within a couple of seconds. A few seconds later, repeat.

Keep doing that for a while (or until you're thumb gets bored flicking the O/D in and out!) and see if you're making any progress. Nothing may change for a while but with a bit of luck it should start freeing up internally with each attempt at using it.

If you're lucky it should free up fairly easily - good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hopefully there should be some others on later that know a bit more about the overdrive set-up and they may be able to suggest another way of doing things.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote