Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tightening up an old volvo?

Views : 1011

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 16:56   #11
hichamaziz

I love the clunky feel of an M46
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 21:32   #12
willvg95

Thanks one and all for the feedback, so to summarise its basically new bushes that make the difference then without going on to lower springs?

My clutch cant handle the torque of the vnt d24 so ive whipped out the gearbox and had chance to have a look at the bushings in the gear linkage, and it now makes sense why it feels like stiring porridge! Ill get a chunk of nylon i think and make a set of new bushings, seen a bronze set of bushes for an m46/7 and they rattle apparently. Would anyone be interested in a set if it works well ?

Im not keen on lowering cars, the 3.5" downpipe is close enough to the ground as it is! Think ill find a set of sport edition springs for it. Never eperienced a polybushed car so i have no judgement either way.

Noone seems to have mentioned exactly the steering itself mind, sure what happens after you turn the wheel is with the tires and suspension, but it would be nice to have some feedback through the wheel? Has anyone rose jointed the track rod ends for example ?

Thanks again
Will vg
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 01:37   #13
Jimsiss

3.5" downpipe! And I thought I was struggling to keep the exhaust close to the body when I made my 3" turbo back system, yours must be easily visible past the chassis.

On old VW polos I always found renewing all the old bushes and ball joints helped the feel and response of the steering greatly, especially with poly bushes. With the Volvo and poly bushes it does make a big difference over old worn bushes but the steering is still dulled a lot by the power steering. I felt a big difference when I had the steering arms on the rack replaced (both worn with lots of play) and then the tracking setup.

Nylon might not be the best thing to use if you want it to hold up over time, Delrin is very good and self lubricating and if you want something even harder PEEK is great but expensive.

Last edited by Jimsiss; Feb 25th, 2018 at 01:40.
Jimsiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimsiss For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 08:22   #14
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Two good suspension mods for steering control are the underbody brace and the 960 subframe brackets. I'd do the suspension mods and then see if the steering feel still needs improved.
Pete940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:38   #15
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

Just to add to the above you can still get shift linkage bushes from volvo. Swapped mine and it improved the feel and smoothness of the shift very noticably.

If you fancy making some, either for the challenge of the project or to use a differnet materials go for it!

But in case anyone else is curious you can still get oem replacements.

PP
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePurplePanther For This Useful Post: