Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth selling my 940 turbo?

Views : 1458

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 20:02   #1
the_traveller
Master Member

Default Is it worth selling my 940 turbo?

Its a bit vague I know, but I'm building my own house extension at the moment and all money can help! with the miles im doing a newer diesel would save me 100-150 a month! the question is, is my old tank worth actually selling? I lowered it a year ago and fitted bilstien B6 shocks, quite stiff, upgraded the turbo to a 16T, refurbished and powder coated the alloys, upper and lower front strut brace, new discs and rotors on all 4 wheels, red led dashboard conversion, new water pump lambda heater valve fuel pump maf, downpipes and centre section exhaust just over a year ago. Last MOT cost me £5 for a bush to pass, and the passed the 2 before that first time. the downside is, its a 20+ year old car with 210000 miles. like most of them the door cards are wrinkled, seats looking tatty, the rust spot on the front wing has rusted right through, not cheap to run!
just wondered if it was worth it before I started trying to sell her.

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 20:24   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Always a dilemma this!In the grand scheme of things yours is going to be worth not a lot so you're going[I'd assume]to have quite a large outlay to replace it and there is nothing to say that you aren't going to have to spend further money on that one.On the other hand of course a saving of £100-£150 a month goes a fair way to offsetting this!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 21:15   #3
the_traveller
Master Member

yeah, it is a dilemma :/ I love my old estates, and for the 4 years I've owned the car I've only needed 50-100 quid a year? things like the LED's suspension wheels and turbo have all been cosmetic, petrol has been the only bad running cost, id probably get more breaking it for parts but I don't have the space for that sadly
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 23:36   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_traveller View Post
yeah, it is a dilemma :/ I love my old estates, and for the 4 years I've owned the car I've only needed 50-100 quid a year? things like the LED's suspension wheels and turbo have all been cosmetic, petrol has been the only bad running cost, id probably get more breaking it for parts but I don't have the space for that sadly
I think you've answered your own question with the last sentence. Also after putting in that much time, effort and money to make it what you want, why sell it for a pittance in favour of a modern (allegedly) fuel-efficient diseasel that will soon be taxed to hell and back again not to mention spewing carcinogens into the atmosphere for us all to breathe in?

The shorter, less controversial answer is keep it, put protective sheeting/blankets in the back when using it as a van, grin and bear the running costs (still cheaper than forking out finance on a newer car that will depreciate to 5/8 of 3/10 of not a lot!) and enjoy it.

I've regretted selling each of my Volvo estates, they get under your skin somehow. Also when they're loaded, fuel economy isn't that different, unlike a "modern" that suddenly drinks like Oliver Reed at a brewery as soon as you put a few kilos of general "junk" in the back.
Besides, you've been through your car and found most, if not all, the faults present and fixed them Imagine having to do that again with a "modern" while trying to build your house and (maybe) pay finance payments!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 00:11   #5
TheLeeds

I used to have an e28 shape BMW 525e, on a D plate, which I'd originally bought about 3 years previously as a Cat C write off with bonnet damage for £200. I repaired and resprayed the bonnet, put the Lux interior in out of one I bought for spares, and it was excellent, as in no hassles, just like the 940s if you get a good one.
I sold it about 6 years ago, with tax and MOT for £350 and got a V6 Mazda MX6 which I hated.

Fast forward to now, and there's a BMW 525e in similar condition on ebay at the moment for about 3k. And it's done a lot more miles than my last one. Obviously if I'd have kept it, I accept I'd probably have had to do the rear axle bushes and deal with a bit of rust on the bottom of one of the rear doors, but it's no big deal. They're as easy as a 940 to maintain. And I imagine, in another 5 or 6 years time those e28s will have shot up even more in value when there are fewer of them about.

I wish I hadn't sold it now.....

A similar thing is happening now to the old rwd Volvos as they gradually disappear from the roads, so it's worth taking into consideration if at any point in the future you were to look back and think of getting another one.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 06:32   #6
deeman940
Master Member

You will regret it I reckon...especially since you have done a bit of work to it....carry on, fit an intercooler and cam!!
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:46   #7
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

I'd also drop into the keep it camp. These old tanks get under your skin... (and here's hoping they have bottomed out on depreciation - starting to see signs of it as more are taken off the road)

And have you ever had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned? Might be worth it if it hasn't been done as from the sound of it with your potenital fuel savings/mo you are doing a fair few miles.

Getting the spray pattern restored for better atomisation definatly helps with fuel economy - i saw a noticable difference with mine (plus helps with power definite win win!).

Oh, and have you done all the gaskets in the inlet track? Having the air volume in the cylinders as close to the value the ecu expects from the maf reading is another one worth chasing for both efficiency and power.

PP
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePurplePanther For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 12:33   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

Don't know whether it can be done on a turbo'd motor but what about lpg'ing It?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 18:28   #9
aardvarkash10
Master Member

running costs are the smallest cost of ownership.

Tax, insurance and interest (or loss of interest) are the biggest.

All cars (with notable but few exceptions) devalue around 20-25% the moment you drive them away - work it out for your self, but if all you are likely to get is less than a grand, why would you sell?
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 18:43   #10
volvo always
Premier Member

I say keep it

I have a 1989 240 GLT auto Estate that now gets driven very rarely but I wouldn't get much for it as not in the best of condition bodily. Ie rust. It is used as a second car and is useful if my 940 is ever off the road.

The 240 owes me nothing as cost £350 9 years ago.
Needs a bit of a tidy up as used as a shed and some welding before mot in November 2018.
I would feel a traitor if I sold it as has been totally reliable and covered 73,000 miles with me and now on 238,000.

I have had one new car a 2007 Toyota corolla 1.4 D4D, which we bought outright at 21,500 euros in France as lived there so a LHD. Sold 30 months later and 45,000klm and got 8,000 euros for it! It was immaculate and faultless. 4245 ZC14. A few annoying niggles, couldn't open the window in rain as drips onto the seats and seats uncomfortable on anything over 2 hours.

Replaced by the 240! No regrets and now I also have a 1996 940 SE LPT estate as a Daily.

Motoring is dear and even dearer with a new car especially with finance and depreciation. A new car purchase has to be a long term ownership plan like 10 years.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: