Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible leak from windscreen

Views : 3153

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2018, 22:12   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The ECU shouldn't be rusty brown. I'd be removing trim above it to see if i could find water marks and try to trace the ingress point that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 22:36   #42
frielp

My carpet is getting soaked again last time it was definitely the windscreen even though its bonded.
frielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 10:36   #43
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The ECU shouldn't be rusty brown. I'd be removing trim above it to see if i could find water marks and try to trace the ingress point that way.
This shows that there is no problem with the ECU, the plastic end is that colour;

I have already removed trim and checked that part of the car. There is no sign of water ingress and any paper towel left there has remained dry.

Indeed, the paper towel spread about the floor and under the underlay, even after last nights heavy rain is completely dry.

Last edited by Delta66; Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:42.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 10:47   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I did say it was difficult to make out exactly what it was. IF there's no sign of water marks on it then you need to look in a different place for the water ingress.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 12:22   #45
Delta66

At the moment there are no water marks or signs of ingress anywhere.

It is as if someone poured a bucket of water into the foot well and with the cold weather it has just been very problematic getting it to dry out.

I know for a fact the foot well was dry about 3 weeks ago, as I keep a bit of kitchen towel under the mat and on top of the sound proofing and it was dry then. I do a Sunday check of oil, coolant and foot well due to previous issues with all three.

The wet appeared after two days of snow a few days of ice (ending when I took this photo of the ice sliding off the car)

There has got to be a connection. When it rains (and using a jet wash), no water ingress. After snow and ice melted, water appeared.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 14:54   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There are scuttle drains below where the vent is just in front of the screen. They're usually found on the bulkhead a bit further down than you'd expect. If one (or both of these are blocked, the intake (which is the vent) can fill up with snow and it won't run out of the drain because it's frozen, however it will thaw out as the heat from the engine gets to it. If it can't get out of the drains because they're full of (still frozen - don't forget heat rises) snow it will find it's way through the heater box and into the footwell - had this on a number of cars.

It's a possibility, i know Volvo sell snow caps for models with the vents in front of the screen/behind the bonnet, perhaps to eliminate this problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:28   #47
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There are scuttle drains below where the vent is just in front of the screen. They're usually found on the bulkhead a bit further down than you'd expect. If one (or both of these are blocked, the intake (which is the vent) can fill up with snow and it won't run out of the drain because it's frozen, however it will thaw out as the heat from the engine gets to it. If it can't get out of the drains because they're full of (still frozen - don't forget heat rises) snow it will find it's way through the heater box and into the footwell - had this on a number of cars.

It's a possibility, i know Volvo sell snow caps for models with the vents in front of the screen/behind the bonnet, perhaps to eliminate this problem.
Out with a watering can and 5l over the screen at the A pillar, waited an hour and nothing. Another 5l into the vent below the screen (which promptly emptied out below the car, all the way to the back passenger door) waited an hour and still nothing.

It is till bone dry inside, so that freak weather of snow then freeze must have done what you suggest.

I will let the underlay keep on drying and refit and if it snows again, I will clear the screen and vent rather than let it melt.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 19:06   #48
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

might be best to drive the car for a good few days with rain and snow on the way
before putting everything back a few days here and there is better than the dreaded wet carpets i know from my problems i left it for a while before finding my leak
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:49   #49
Delta66

It snowed last night and then melted today with no dampness inside.

With cutting a hole in the carpet and soundproofing, I will be able to remove it and the lining without having to take off all the trim, if it happens again. It also means i can check it regularly to make sure it is staying dry.

The plan is to refit everything tomorrow and go for a drive.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I would describe myself as a cautious mechanic who likes to check and recheck before I do any work!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:43   #50
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I had leaks in my 940 and I went through all the checks I could find on the internet.

First you’ve got the footwell vent.
Then the heater vent - you need to remove the scuttle and check that water doesn’t get into the air vent - have a look at my car thread and you’ll see what I did.
Then I checked the sunroof drains, these were ok.
Then I checked to see if there was any issues with the bulkhead - mine is a later AC car so I think that’s why I didn’t have a problem in that area but IIRC the non AC cars are different.
Then check the sunroof seal - mine was ok.
Then check the seal between the glass and the rubber on the sunroof - mine wasn’t good so I sealed it up properly.

When I did each of the above it improved things bit by bit until now when I don’t get any leaks at all. I just needed to check and repair all the common issues (which aren’t all listed in one place!) until it was sorted.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post: