Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Salvaging spares before scrapping V70

Views : 1996

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 23:43   #1
Nine Inch Whales

Default Salvaging spares before scrapping V70

First post on here. Hope to heck its in the right place.

I'm scrapping a 2001 2.4 petrol V70 and already have the replacement in a 2005 D5 V70 and have the chance to take as much as I want to from the old car before it goes.

I'm certainly no mechanic but would like to keep as many useful bits as I can from it before lack of storage space becomes an issue.

So far Im planning on keeping discs/pads/calipers/fuses/relays/headlights/rearlights/bulbs but I really could do with some help and pointers for what else I can realistically remove myself and realistically re-use.

I have a day this weekend and one the folllowing weekend before it has to be disposed of.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Nine Inch Whales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 00:04   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Things like load cover and dog guard are always in demand and easy to remove.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 01:51   #3
canis
Non Fragile

Mirror glasses? Belts? Alternator, Battery, Power Steering pump, ABS unit, Catalytic converter, Spare wheel (or any wheel with a decent tyre), handbook (people buy those, y'know!), interior controls (knobs/switches) ...

Excellent username, by the way!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 06:40   #4
reggit
Premier Member

2005 is the change to the facelift version. If your new one is a facelift, the lights are different, so guess you’d rescue these to sell them on?

I’d have the alarm siren out if it still works. fold down dog gaurd if it’s fitted to the old one, m.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 13:24   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

People remove the spark coils. 6 or 8 torx screws expose 'em (remove the cover) and each has a 10mm hold down bolt. Then simply unplug.

Front collision parts? radiator/AC condenser combo, support, air cleaner box, both front wings, steering wheel airbag, bonnet.
Front end parts $ELL €ASI£Y <-- pretty clever, eh?

They say the shift handle "lifts off". See if there's a set screw and try to lift it straight off and tell us how that goes.

Open the clam shell and get the immobilizer ring.

Tear into the dash and remove the fan if nothing else.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 13:41   #6
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Inch Whales View Post
First post on here. Hope to heck its in the right place.

I'm scrapping a 2001 2.4 petrol V70 and already have the replacement in a 2005 D5 V70 and have the chance to take as much as I want to from the old car before it goes.

I'm certainly no mechanic but would like to keep as many useful bits as I can from it before lack of storage space becomes an issue.

So far Im planning on keeping discs/pads/calipers/fuses/relays/headlights/rearlights/bulbs but I really could do with some help and pointers for what else I can realistically remove myself and realistically re-use.

I have a day this weekend and one the following weekend before it has to be disposed of.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
I would never waste my time keeping discs and pads unless the discs are almost new, I would still not keep the pads - I doubt anyone would buy them and would you really fit them?

I bought a 2002 V70 2.4 a couple of years ago for the wheels for £230 delivered to my door so I know what sold and what did not.

Fuses keep a couple of each current for yourself but honestly, you will just end up with boxes of stuff you will bin in 5 years, relays - yeah sure some of the bigger special ones, the bog standard yellow and blacks maybe 2 of each could be useful.

Keep all the light clusters, and try and remove as much of the associated loom as people sometimes have damaged looms, a guy bought the headlights from me with the complete front loom.

From the engine bay it depends how much you can be bothered removing, I took the AC compressor, alternator, starter motor, gearbox and driveshafts, ign. coils etc. I took the AC hoses as these can wear through and cost about £60 new - I used one on my T5 so was well worth it.

Wing mirrors - don't mess with the glass only - whole unit - I got about £25 for them - well actually I gave one away but could have got £25 Ea. take a note of paint colour and list that - people love getting pre-painted factory parts as it's bolt off bolt on and saves them the paint hassle.

Door seals if not worn or torn, I swapped the better ones onto my V70 - no more leaks.

Radio, dash trim around radio, centre console if good nick, boot carpeted side trim panels and body door sill panels all sell. Speakers if it has the upgraded sound system, the centre speaker takes about 2 minutes to remove and sell on eBay all the time.

People will take airbag parts too - I didn't bother with any of them.

Headlight and window switches - they all sold.

What seats does it have, I got £350 for the leather seats from this Volvo.

£60 for the load bay cover.

If the carpets are really good then someone will buy them, I took the carpets out because they were mint and put them in my newer T5 which had fairly dirty carpets.

It was great just going between the cars and moving bits across, I even have the older centre console in my V70 as mine was all scored along the drivers side.

I also took random bits for my own car anything that was better in the older car I took and swapped out - rear number plate light units - glad I did as one of mine has toasted.

I setup a 6 foot shelving unit at my business premises and just filled it with parts.

All in all I made about £900 hard cash from a £230 car, but I also got loads of bits for my own V70 which had I needed to source and buy would have cost me £300-400.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Feb 9th, 2018 at 13:47.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 20:47   #7
dave23

I’d be interested in the boot floor if it’s a non 7 seat version, dog guard and rubber mats if you have them.
dave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 22:35   #8
jnmonaghan

I looking for front passenger seat in fabric -Oak- code A480

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 22:56   #9
vol
Master Member

Question Salvaging spares before scrapping V70

Hello Vol here

if at all possible I would take the windscreen washer jets posted to Dublin

please, my spray pattern is way off on my ones

Many thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 07:41   #10
Nine Inch Whales

Thankyou for the very helpful replies, looks to be some great advice there.

I've never been one for fettling cars so had thought the discs and pads might be useful without knowing much about it all. They were brand new last year so maybe 6,000 miles done with them and had disliked the thought of wasting the money spent on them!

Good to know the headlights wont fit as it saves me trying to swap them over and struggling. The 2005 ones are quite cloudy and look a bit ropey. I've had conflicting advice on whether to try and polish these up.

Should be fun anyway - supposed to snow tomorrow and that's the allocated day for putting it on bricks and starting to find all the aforementioned bits and bobs.

Are there any sensors worth saving? The new one needed clutch pedal and steering angle sensors changing before I bought it.
Nine Inch Whales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nine Inch Whales For This Useful Post: