Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front end noise - v40 2000 2.0L

Views : 4147

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 13:33   #21
gatos
Premier Member

Lol. No need to apologise. This is the beauty of a forum. Sometimes there may be varied opinions about something, but eventually the confusion is cleared up and we get the right answer.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 15:26   #22
berg07

Default Cause of noise?

Motor code B4204S2, Volvo M56 gearbox, left hand drive: could the inner CV joints cause the noise I'm experiencing?

As said, the noise is random. It disappears and reappears. Any ideas on how I can diagnose the cause of the noise?

My driver's side drive shaft is similar to this:

The passenger's side drive shaft is similar to this:
berg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 18:01   #23
Baffler
Premier Member

Ok...so you have the Volvo M56 gearbox which, in general, give very little problems save for stiff gear changes when the oil is cold. The Renault box on the other hand can self destruct if not caught early enough (see Kilou's thread here).

Have you checked for anything getting caught or snagged on the drive shafts or against the clips which hold the CV bellows in place? If I remember correctly there are splash guards which are attached to the chassis, just above each driveshaft as it exits the engine bay, and they can sag downward or become loose. Lifting the car off the ground would allow the driveshafts to drop downward slightly, away from these guards, so you need to check the above whilst the car is in motion with some poor victim perched across the engine bay...say at 5mph/kph max.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 06:42   #24
berg07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Ok...so you have the Volvo M56 gearbox which, in general, give very little problems save for stiff gear changes when the oil is cold. The Renault box on the other hand can self destruct if not caught early enough (see Kilou's thread here).

Have you checked for anything getting caught or snagged on the drive shafts or against the clips which hold the CV bellows in place? If I remember correctly there are splash guards which are attached to the chassis, just above each driveshaft as it exits the engine bay, and they can sag downward or become loose. Lifting the car off the ground would allow the driveshafts to drop downward slightly, away from these guards, so you need to check the above whilst the car is in motion with some poor victim perched across the engine bay...say at 5mph/kph max.
Thank you for the input. I need to find a volunteer..

Meanwhile, here is what the driver's side CV joint looks like in motion with the front end raised. The car was not making any noise at this specific time, but it did the day before:

Video of driver's side CV joint - no noise at this moment
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 11:56   #25
loely

Default noise

I got nearly the same noise in our rally car,could not locate it so at the end I used a old drive shaft and removed the two CV (gearbox and wheelside) .I removed the original shaft and put the old at gearboxside in.After starting the motor I could still hear the noise coming from gearbox side .Removing the gearbox and closly looking at it I found that the bearing to hold the differential in place came loose.Don't know why or how but the gear wheel was no longer fixed in place and could inclinate witch made the noise .
I never opened a Volvo gearbox so I don't know how it is build.Just can tell what was wrong with my gearbox.
If you put a old CV in you can find out if it is gearbox side or wheel side.
Sorry for my writing faults I didn't go to class long enough on sunday's.
loely

Last edited by loely; Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:59.
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 14:58   #26
berg07

Quote:
Originally Posted by loely View Post
I got nearly the same noise in our rally car,could not locate it so at the end I used a old drive shaft and removed the two CV (gearbox and wheelside) .I removed the original shaft and put the old at gearboxside in.After starting the motor I could still hear the noise coming from gearbox side .Removing the gearbox and closly looking at it I found that the bearing to hold the differential in place came loose.Don't know why or how but the gear wheel was no longer fixed in place and could inclinate witch made the noise .
I never opened a Volvo gearbox so I don't know how it is build.Just can tell what was wrong with my gearbox.
If you put a old CV in you can find out if it is gearbox side or wheel side.
Sorry for my writing faults I didn't go to class long enough on sunday's.
loely
Was your noise appearing randomly as well? I understand you had the Renault M5P gearbox?
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 21:50   #27
morrismen

It may be a long shot but is the cam belt case on properly? I had one come loose at the back end clip and it was catching occasionally on the lower fly wheel until I clipped it back in place.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 00:26   #28
difflock54

Having listened to the videos you provided several times I am also tending to think it is an inner CV joint, most likely the one with the oily wet boot.
i have wondered however if it could be a crook transmission mount especially after hearing the noise on the first video where you are backing off on the gas pedal. (decelerating)
Worth checking them anyway to rule them out.
difflock54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 09:25   #29
berg07

The car is at a workshop at the moment. The mechanic said the noise is probably caused by ice in the driver's side outer CV joint. The rubber boot was a little bit loose on the side facing the engine which could have caused water and dirt to enter the CV joint and freeze up according to him.

A picture of driver's side outer CV joint: the clip to the left was a bit loose, it could be moved from side to side on the drive shaft.

Video of driver's side CV joint

The outer CV joint (I think the OEM-number is 30871328, unsure if it fits the M56 gearbox?) will be replaced.

I don't know if I should spend more money and have them replace the whole drive shaft (part number 8602072?) including outer and inner CV joints just to be sure I get rid of the noise.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 14:02   #30
berg07

Default Two outer CV-joints replaced

The mechanic changed the outer driver's side joint and said the noise is gone. This caused the ABS-light to come on. In order to fix this, they changed the passenger's side outer CV-joint as well.

Hopefully this has fixed the random noise. I'll update after I've driven the car a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to berg07 For This Useful Post:

Tags
front, noise