Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reading lights

Views : 6930

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 22:54   #51
x DTR x
Premier Member

Would probably go for round ones in case you do have trouble with the flat ones. Could get both just in case as not too expensive, especially if you get the ones i linked too! the fitting is quite tight so you need to put the bulb in the holder, line up the slots and then kinda pull it back into the slot. I had to do it carefully with a flat screwdriver as i bite my nails lol! The light fitting clips back into dash easily enough when done. P.s, my link to ebay page is showing bulbs at £90.99, should be £0.99.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX

Last edited by x DTR x; Jan 5th, 2013 at 23:00. Reason: Add on
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 15:13   #52
danielg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Would probably go for round ones in case you do have trouble with the flat ones. Could get both just in case as not too expensive, especially if you get the ones i linked too! the fitting is quite tight so you need to put the bulb in the holder, line up the slots and then kinda pull it back into the slot. I had to do it carefully with a flat screwdriver as i bite my nails lol! The light fitting clips back into dash easily enough when done. P.s, my link to ebay page is showing bulbs at £90.99, should be £0.99.
I thought they looked quite expensive, lol.

I have ordered the flat ones as they will put more light into the foot well, so fingers crossed the polarity is right. If not I will just order a couple more of the round ones, thanks for the fitting advice.
danielg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 20:13   #53
x DTR x
Premier Member

Good luck when they arrive, really glad i have done mine, even the missus says interior looks nice and that's coming from someone who generally doesn't give a t@ss about things like that. A car is just a car so to speak lol.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 19:10   #54
danielg1980

Quote:
Good luck when they arrive, really glad i have done mine, even the missus says interior looks nice and that's coming from someone who generally doesn't give a t@ss about things like that. A car is just a car so to speak lol.
Haha, sounds just like my wife. I think she is slowly coming round to my way of thinking tho. I will post some more pics when the next set are done.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 14:32   #55
jaygee
Avid Member

Mine are all now fitted, looks really smart. Will take some pics tonight when it is a bit darker. The footwell lights are a pain! Ended up break the casing so I could remove it! Both lights were really hot, suprised it hasn't started a fire!

Both bulbs were so attached, fused almost to the holders. One of the lights I had to break out.

Anyway all done! The whole car is almost all LED or HID!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 15:26   #56
Hadrian

I noticed the footwell lights were hot too, Have you changed the rears to leds? I have done the reverse but don't have the confidence in leds to use for stop and tail.
I am humming and arhing about hid's, I will do them but have yet to decide whether to go for the cheap ones or spend more on the ones that hids4u sell. Having spent a lot of my working life purchasing foreign imports I can't help but think the ones hids4u sell are just over priced cheapo ebay ones....plus I am a Yorkshireman ;0)
Just waiting for inverters to attach to the ccfl halos to go with the new projectors received from Clan.
Hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 17:46   #57
danielg1980

Hi Hadrian,

Did you get my pm with my address? If not, are the bulbs holders easy to get hold of?

Cheers
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 17:52   #58
x DTR x
Premier Member

I have done my reverse lights but they defiantly look better then they work, hardly shine the area behind you at all! might put one in the tail light to see what it looks like and compare it to the standard one?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 14:32   #59
danielg1980

Oh my goodness, foot well lamps are a pain in the proverbial!! What was the person thinking that designed them?!!

I ended up pushing the holder back up into the dash, pulling the cable out and then disconnecting the bulb holder so I could work with it in my hands. I managed to get the bulbs out using an old pair of my wife's tweezers (shush don't tell her!) then lining up the new flat 4 smd led and gently pushing it into the holder with a flat head screw driver.

My phone is in for repair at the mo but when its sorted I will post some pics taken in the dark. I think the one sided led's will be much brighter as all the light is directed down into the foot well and not wasted by going up into the back/underside of the dash.

The next interior lights are the drivers over head but I need 4 twist lock holders, if anyone knows where I might be able to get some I would be extremely grateful as that will finish the interior off nicely.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 14:34   #60
danielg1980

Quote:
I have done my reverse lights but they defiantly look better then they work, hardly shine the area behind you at all! might put one in the tail light to see what it looks like and compare it to the standard one?
Which bulbs did you get for the reversing lamps? I was interested in changing those as I have heard they can make a big difference.