Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

can i drive 12 seater minibus

Views : 4338

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 16:22   #21
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealchemyst View Post
also being an oldish fart means i got d1 and d1+e on my licence as standard you may not have that entitlement added as standard but may be able to request (pay a fee!) to have it added to your licence, without taking a psv test as your not working as a bus driver etc.
He will still have to do the tests.(Medical, Theory and Practical) Just because you aren't using it commercially doesn't mean you can skip the tests that prove you are of the standard required to drive one (And that is what the test is for .. )

(Not doubting he is of course!)
JamesV70R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 22:35   #22
Dibble
VOC Member

You right. A D1 test would require to be taken which includes theory, medical etc. The cut off point for being able to drive such vehicles on the car licence was January, 1997. Anyone who sat their test after that time needs to sit the D1 test whether you want to be a bus driver or not. If the vehicle weight exceeds 3.5 tonnes then a tacho has to be fitted. Interesting points raised by DVLA but I think what would catch most people out is the very real possibility of exceeding the 3.5 tonne weight limit.
Would be interested to hear the views of others.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 22:45   #23
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

its no longer 3.5 tonnes with minibuses its down to the number of seats, we now have new regs and rules that i pointed out earlier even tho i was told i was wrong, i work in the haulage business i need to know these rules like the back of my hand especially as im also a full ADR trained driver.

Also going thro at the moment to be implimented next year if succesfull all comercial vehicles over 2.5 tonnes r to be limited to 60mph and possibly run to tacho rules. we will see with this one tho
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 22:47   #24
Merc85
Premier Member

Talking

Why not buy a 7 Seat 850 estate, i've 4 kidds and that suits us fine ages, 10yrs 5yrs 3yrs and 2yrs.

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 03:53   #25
thealchemyst
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
He will still have to do the tests.(Medical, Theory and Practical) Just because you aren't using it commercially doesn't mean you can skip the tests that prove you are of the standard required to drive one (And that is what the test is for .. )

(Not doubting he is of course!)
was assuming it was the same as motorbike entitlemnt and others that are not now added as standard, tiss a bit silly that you cant drive a minibus if you took your test after 97 but you can if taken before!
after all ive not taken a pcv test yet i can legally drive one.
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 22:26   #26
Dibble
VOC Member

Hi Deathrider, you are not wrong but we are talking here of someone who apparently wants to drive his family about and not for hire or reward. The DVLA leaflet INS57P - Information on Driving Licences - explains it all and elaborates on the DVLA website information.
Alchemist, the January, 1997, date is the cut off point when the D1 test has to be sat to acquire the appropriate licence and for a number of other variations of driving licence regulations.
There are lots of changes taking place just now as Deathrider states and not always easy to keep up but a call to the local VOSA LGV/PCV centre will advise.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 22:49   #27
minesa240x3
loyalty

I had a similare dilema with six adults to carry so,
I got one of these.it seats ieght with the driver very comfortably and has a very big boot.it's only 2.3L and auto.I love driving it and the insurance is no different to a standard four door five seat saloon.As said not to all peoples taste but turns a few heads.Not difficult to park if you look around for the odd end space or use two in the non display supermarket ones most bmw owners take up two by parking outside the bay anyway Lol.

Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0084res.jpg (301.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0085res.jpg (251.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0088res.jpg (264.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0126res.jpg (271.6 KB, 16 views)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 19:01   #28
Shortstuff

If memory surves me correctly the laws states 8 non paying passengers which means the largest you can go is 9 seats
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 21:44   #29
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealchemyst View Post
was assuming it was the same as motorbike entitlemnt and others that are not now added as standard, tiss a bit silly that you cant drive a minibus if you took your test after 97 but you can if taken before!
after all ive not taken a pcv test yet i can legally drive one.
Yeh exactly, it is rather annoying. There have been times where I have needed to be able to drive a minibus (Scout leader) but as I only passed my driving test in 2008 I have to pay £xxx to get the right category on my licence. (D1 or D)

[hijack]

If I want to drive anything bigger i'm looking at another £850+(ish) to get either D or C, and then if I ever want any kind of trailer (As it is I push my licence towards the limit at times with what I sometimes tow .. ) its another £800+ on top of that.

Of course I could just do my B+E (Car+trailer) but wheres the fun in that! Might as well keep the options open by having C+E, which covers all the other grades (+E anyway) after the correct tests.

Did you know you can get your HGV Licence at 18 now? Would love to see an 18 year old who is employed and driving artics/wag+drag at that age ... mostly to ask "How much was the boss' insurance renewal!!" )

Edit - and all of this needs theory+hazard perception tests (again!!) and a medical!

[/hijack]

Last edited by JamesV70R; Dec 16th, 2010 at 21:48.
JamesV70R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 00:00   #30
mattn388gfc
mattn388gfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc85 View Post
Why not buy a 7 Seat 850 estate, i've 4 kidds and that suits us fine ages, 10yrs 5yrs 3yrs and 2yrs.
that wot i have got but it not big enough i wish was i love the car
mattn388gfc is offline   Reply With Quote