Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Kia & Jaguar top 2012 JD Power survey

Views : 1655

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2012, 17:26   #1
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Default Kia & Jaguar top 2012 JD Power survey

The results for the 2012 JD Power survey are in and it's topped by, of all things a Kia Sportage, with the Jaguar XF coming second, and Jaguar taking top manufacturer honours.

The rest of the top 20 is the usual suspects, including Volvos at 14th and 18th places.
...and 105th!

CLICKY LINK
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 17:40   #2
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Still, they came 9th in the manufacturers survey, so not too bad!
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 17:49   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosejaw View Post
The results for the 2012 JD Power survey are in and it's topped by, of all things a Kia Sportage, with the Jaguar XF coming second, and Jaguar taking top manufacturer honours.
What better news than Kia being at the top. A company that has 'moved mountains' in recent years and offer suberb products,even becoming stylish for goodness sake.Well done to Kia for listening.

At least Volvo beat Fiat!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 17:53   #4
GMad
Premier Member

Kia make some absolutely cracking cars and proper Jaguars give me a semi, so I'll drink to that result
Old May 31st, 2012, 17:59   #5
Volvo6
Master Member

Although JD does give a good broad indication of customer satisfaction with cars I often think they are somewhat contrived...I mean look that the difference in ratings between the S40/V50, the S40 being rated higher for a lot of things ( for example dealer service and reliability); there is no objective reason for this since they are the same car. The only explanation can be differing expectations...hence why I find these surveys helpful but not really definitive.
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:11   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Although JD does give a good broad indication of customer satisfaction with cars I often think they are somewhat contrived...I mean look that the difference in ratings between the S40/V50, the S40 being rated higher for a lot of things ( for example dealer service and reliability); there is no objective reason for this since they are the same car. The only explanation can be differing expectations...hence why I find these surveys helpful but not really definitive.
I tend to agree with you on that, although many times in many surveys/polls Japanese and Korean (and Skoda Czech/German?? ) do consistently well across the board.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:30   #7
banksy66
Master Member

"How was the overall score decided?
Each category was weighted according to how important owners rated it. The total scores awarded by owners were split as follows: vehicle quality and reliability (22%), vehicle appeal (31%), dealer service satisfaction (22%) and ownership costs (25%)."

Now what I find most interesting here is that what I would regard as the area of least importance for car ownership (vehicle appeal), actually carries the greatest weighting when it comes to calculating scores. Apparently having a "cool" car is more important than owning a reliable one with good dealer backup - I'm not sure respondents thought that one through properly

Personally, I'd rather have a solid, well built car with good quality back up and low running costs - whether or not my neighbours like it has absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever - in fact, all the more reason to buy something if the co*k at number 8 doesn't like it

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
banksy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to banksy66 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:36   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

i have to agree with the above the most important bit for the survey gets the least important bit mad.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2012, 22:04   #9
Moosejaw
Premier Member

I'm not so sure.

OK, so not everyone's a petrolhead and to most folk a car is just a device to transport stuff around, but for anyone who cares, there's nothing worse than driving a bland car, or worse, one you actively dislike.

I'd far rather have a nice car I enjoyed driving that looked so good I'd wash it even when it wasn't dirty just so I could stand back and admire it than some dull but worthy and reliable lump of metal, even if did cost a few quid more at the pumps, or had the occasional hissy fit.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moosejaw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 00:11   #10
Volvo6
Master Member

I can understand including criteria like styling for the low to mid price range because when such cars are bought people often want a good looking car but can't always afford to give looks a high priority...and end up buying a car they might not like the look of; therefore a reliable and good looking car is very welcome.

However with the large SUVs for example I'm looking at the results for the XC90 (which actually does quite well for reliability and quality) and wondering why, if styling is so important, someone would buy an XC90 when they could have a potentially much better looking (according to the survey...) Range Rover Sport or Disco for example and then rate the styling as poor in a customer survey...I mean if you didn't like the look why did you buy it? It's not like with reliability when you generally don't know until you've had it for a while...