Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1979 245 B21A misfiring

Views : 1264

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 11:58   #11
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It is not uncommon for cheaper leads (even from big brands) to not fit right and not work correctly

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ighlight=bosch

There are cases when cheap aftermarket stuff can be ok but 240 Ignition parts is not really one of them
What an emotive subject (I had a suspicion I might be a heretic!).

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, least of all that anyone else should fit pattern common user items to their Volvo 244/245/240. The only information I offer to the PO and the forum is that the Beru rotor arm and cap plus the generic plug leads (all of which came in the free box of new spares) I have fitted to the Barge work just fine. I fitted very similar parts to the RB (a 1980 244 and the Barge's predecessor) and they worked perfectly well also. I conclude from my personal experience with two 1980s 240s that pattern ignition parts work perfectly well, but I will be in no way offended if others wish to source original parts.

I have no view whatsoever whether others should fit pattern parts, so we will just have to agree to disagree, which is of course not a problem.

Last edited by Othen; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 12:22. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 12:31   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What an emotive subject (I had a suspicion I might be a heretic!).

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, least of all that anyone else should fit pattern common user items to their Volvo 244/245/240. The only information I offer to the PO and the forum is that the Beru rotor arm and cap plus the generic plug leads (all of which came in the free box of new spares) I have fitted to the Barge work just fine. I fitted very similar parts to the RB (a 1980 244 and the Barge's predecessor) and they worked perfectly well also. I conclude from my personal experience with two 1980s 240s that pattern ignition parts work perfectly well, but I will be in no way offended if others wish to source original parts.

I have no view whatsoever whether others should fit pattern parts, so we will just have to agree to disagree, which is of course not a problem.

I was trying to say non genuine parts might be ok for running around locally but when the hard times come when the car is used under harsh wet, cold or hot conditions for long periods and/or the plug leads don't fit the distributor cap properly causing arcing and burning they fail. I have been working on volvos all my life including the period 1974 to 1994 when the 240 was current and working harder than todays modern cars do. we had 240's and 260's going up and down to london from Cardiff twice a day for years . the mind boggles how much fuel they used!
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 13:36   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I was trying to say non genuine parts might be ok for running around locally but when the hard times come when the car is used under harsh wet, cold or hot conditions for long periods and/or the plug leads don't fit the distributor cap properly causing arcing and burning they fail. I have been working on volvos all my life including the period 1974 to 1994 when the 240 was current and working harder than todays modern cars do. we had 240's and 260's going up and down to london from Cardiff twice a day for years . the mind boggles how much fuel they used!
I certainly meant no disrespect to yourself or ClassicSwede Clan, you are clearly very knowledgeable chaps when it comes to Volvos.

I offer only my personal experience from my last two 240s (and my Amazon) that pattern parts are perfectly good for 40 to 60 year old motor cars. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right (and certainly not that anyone else is wrong!).

Abe the Heretic
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 22:01   #14
Peter222

Wow, I didn't want to start a pattern/genuine parts war, but in this case I can find a genuine Bosch ignition harness for under £20 so that's what I'm going for.

I again had trouble starting from cold. Crank, crank, crank, with only an occasional spark of life, sometimes two or three in succession but the engine wasn't in the mood at all. So I turned to the standby Easy Start at the air intake, and you can see on the video below that, after the Easy Start does its thing, the cold engine absolutely does not want to run below 2000rpm although at 3000-5000 it seems OK.

Basically the only way it will start seems to be Easy Start followed immediately by lots of revs. Yes, I know it's not good to rev a cold engine before the oil has started circulating but hey ho.

Once warm , the old bird starts on the button without touching the throttle pedal, albeit with that slight misfire I originally posted about.

I went for a little drive and noticed a "cutting out" when I put my foot down in "D" (auto box). Only for a tiny fraction of a second, but enough to "jerk" my body forward slightly.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/b1RJQ86l38s

Does this give any further clue as to where the problem might be? Oh and I have taken out the cold start injector to check for spray when I crank, it's fine.
Peter222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 10:12   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The wiring harness should not be the problem but they are reproduced, not available from Bosch.

There are a lot of components like sensors where Bosch is the best you can buy. However HT leads and spark plugs from Bosch are not good and can have misfire problems from new
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 10:57   #16
Peter222

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The wiring harness should not be the problem but they are reproduced, not available from Bosch.
Thanks, I really meant by "harness" the group of HT cables with terminations. I take the point about Bosch.
Peter222 is offline   Reply With Quote