Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Autobox fluid change????

Views : 1590

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 14:47   #1
tannachyallen
240SE

Question Autobox fluid change????

Hi all,
I would like some advice as to whether to change my autobox fluid or not. At the moment the car runs great, no gearbox problems and the fluid is a pretty good colour (not burnt or whitish etc). However, I have no idea when or if it has ever been changed (or the filter). It's done 140,000 at present.

My V70 XC was killed by letting the autobox fluid get thick and grungy, so that when it was changed at 200,000 miles the new fluid didn't have the viscosity to hold the ailing box inards together and it just kept going into limp home mode due to slipping clutches.

I know this is a much simpler/robust box, that said, what's the concensus?

1: everythings OK, leave well alone.
2: change it now before things get too grungy.

Regards,

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 16:08   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

A fluid change would do no harm and you then know when it was changed for the future. If you have a good box that woukd ensure it stays that way.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 17:23   #3
tannachyallen
240SE

Thanks Mike. I suppose I'm a little cautious because of the experience with the V70. What sort of intervals do you change your autobox fluid?

Regards,

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 18:47   #4
Macp
S70R owner

Heartily recommended

I got mine done and it definitely improved the performance of the box.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 20:05   #5
DW42

If you plan to do the job yourself, a simple way is to use a Pela pump (sump pump) -- then it's just a case of sticking the pump hose down the trans dipstick tube to remove the fluid. It won't get the filter clean though (I assume there is one...), but I don't personally think that this is a big issue. Maybe others will disagree?

David
DW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 21:03   #6
tannachyallen
240SE

Thumbs up Pela Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
a simple way is to use a Pela pump (sump pump) -- then it's just a case of sticking the pump hose down the trans dipstick tube to remove the fluid.
I've just had a look at them online..........amazing. So you pump and it will then suck out all the fluid through the dipstick tube? That easy? Really!!

Regards,

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 00:34   #7
minesa240x3
loyalty

The oil change is a bit more involved than just draining the sump!
Depends if you want to change ALL the oil?there is oil in the torque converter which will stay in there when draining the sump.there will also be some left in the oilcooler radiator which is integral with the water radiator.
Haynes has a good report on how to do it.My first change was vital as the oil was very much like water and black smelling of burning.

The first change was just drain and refill.this helped dilute the black stuff firstand help flush it out.
The second change was carried out following the haynes method which flushes the rad and torque converter.basically you disconnect one of the oil cooler pipes so that as you fill the box with the engine running it flushes the old oil out with new oil.You need to measure the quantity as it makes sure you don't overfill when finished.You disconnect the return to gearbox pipe thereby stopping the old oil getting back to it.You should see new oil coming through if it's black but if yours is clean it tells you how much is in the torque converter and rad so you can catch that amount knowing all has been changed.

I think if your oil is looking good then just drain and refill as this should mix with the few litres left inside and be fine.

Regards Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Mar 13th, 2011 at 00:37.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:20   #8
DW42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannachyallen View Post
I've just had a look at them online..........amazing. So you pump and it will then suck out all the fluid through the dipstick tube? That easy? Really!!

Regards,

Dave A.
Yes -- it's that simple. I use my Pela for trans fluid changes and oil changes. I only ever remove the oil sump bolt when I want to check if there's anything stuck to the magnet. I've even used the Pela to bleed the brakes when I replaced a line to the rear brakes and was having trouble getting all of the air bubbles out. I attached a thin piece of PCV rubber tubing to the pump and the brake bleeder, pumped the pump, gave the brake pedal a few very small pumps, then you can watch through the clear tubing to see if air bubbles are still being drawn through (while keeping the booster tank topped up of course!).

But as Brian said, if the ATF looks dodgey you would be better off draining the whole lot and perhaps changing the filter too.

David
1971 144DL; 1988 240GL (saved from the scrappers,and now getting a workover)
DW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:14   #9
tannachyallen
240SE

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions. Sounds like the concensus is to get it changed one way or the other. I'll let you know how I proceed.

Regards,

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:25   #10
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannachyallen View Post
Thanks Mike. I suppose I'm a little cautious because of the experience with the V70. What sort of intervals do you change your autobox fluid?

Regards,

Dave A.
I tend to change it every 2-3 years 50-80,000 miles. I'm not sure what is the recommended figure.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post: