Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clouds of blue smoke after the overun on acceleration

Views : 956

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2020, 13:43   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Default Stripping down was hard...reassembly a nightmare..

As per title..and I attach notes so that others may benefit from my mistakes.

1) Assembly revolves around getting the banjo bolt back in the manifold - but its a chicken and egg situation. You must install the banjo before attaching the manifold. I tried to do it the other way and it was a total fail.
Also a 17mm swivel head ratchet I'd say is a must, as it helps to line up with the "slope" of the banjo's entry into the manifold to tighten it. I found an 8 o' clock position worked to tighten it once I got the banjo inserted finger tight.

2) I re used my banjo but got two new crush washers ( soaked banjo in paraffin to clean overnight) and this made it possible to easily insert finger tight - I tried several times to insert the banjo and keep cleaning threads until it as super smooth fit

3) The video referenced shows how to fit part #30731007. This is not needed. Volvoboy said he used silicon tubing and I did too, except I made mine a little (1") longer than original piece. This was because I noticed when I removed the insulation, although still in one piece, the plastic tube was showing signs of stretch at the banjo end. This addition of 1" ( to me) made a difference in the flexibility of where I could move the banjo bolt, once it was slotted through the pipework. I also added a small piece of insulation to cover the extension.

3)The manifold LH lower bolt has to be screwed IN as much as possible cos if its not there is NO WAY my method of removal ( 1/4" socket on wobble bar) gets it back home. The socket will foul on the thermostat housing. Add a second lower manifold bolt. It keeps gasket in place.Do not fit the other bolts even if very slack, you won't have room to manoeuver things.

4) I got the manifold located some what near where it locates on the studs, but clear enough to easily push the banjo bolt through its housing and install the 2nd crush washer. Holding the banjo in my right hand, I used my left hand to install the manifold onto the two lower bolts and then lifted the manifold up off of its studs some 3/4". Its not much but enough to get your fingers underneath the manifold and insert the banjo bolt into its socket. I had both hands to get the banjo installed. After the banjo was socket tightened, the manifold as reinstated onto its two lower studs and the other studs were installed.
After that the rest of the assembly was straight forward.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote