Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake servo pedal seal

Views : 1575

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2020, 23:33   #11
b1mcp

Hey Kev. Bit confused by the numbers.

Was it £80 part and £70 fitting = £150 or

£80 part + £150 fitting.

£150 is good as I reckon it's 3-4 hours with a lift and the right tools. If you got it done for £70 then that's very, very cheap. I wouldn't do it for that.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 23:55   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Hi,

It was an £80 part (Used) & £150 labour to fit - £230 plus VAT. I should have made that clearer on my last post, woops.

***I can't edit the post I made with the incorrect figures on, so to avoid confusion, it was £230 plus VAT to fit a second hand servo including the labour. Its a big job that takes approx 3-4 hours to do, even in a garage. So if you do decide to go down the route of fitting a second hand servo, factor the labour costs into your decision (If a garage is doing the work that is). If not & you plan on tackling the job yourself, you'll need a decent set of tools & be prepared for the job to take at least this amount of time, if not longer. I bit the bullet on this one & let the garage do it, as its not something I'd attempt to be honest & I didn't have the time to do it anyway.

Also, it was an independent garage that did the work on my car, not a dealership workshop. I wouldn't even entertain bringing my car to a dealership to do a job like this because they won't fit second hand parts for a start & the labour costs are sky high. The servo for my car, which is a P3 shape S80 cost £800 new, according to the parts department in my nearest Volvo branch. So based on that, it would have cost around £1,100-£1,200 plus VAT to fit a new servo & that's only a guess!

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 15th, 2020 at 00:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 20:21   #13
woodways3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I did replace the gray bellow a few times, it is actually easy but indeed I have the automatic: I had to grease the bellow a little inside to have it slide easier, then pressed on it at one place with the index and the thumb together, then while keeping the pressure I 'drew' a circle with these two fingers (each one goes on one side of the bellow) while crushing the bellow in place
By the way, for hissing one must first make sure the large rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column is properly secured to the floor with a large metal ring - otherwise noises from the engine (hissing) can be heard inside the cabin
My issue is where to buy the seal .I mean the black ring at the inside base of the servo??????
woodways3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 22:58   #14
oragex
Premier Member

In the US, the complete new servo (brake booster) is not that expensive, but of course, it comes down to replacing it on the RHD cars - engine lowered, etc. There's two part numbers so check the years.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...649491#fitment
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...93673a#fitment

For the URO seal alone, to be fair I think URO is insane asking $40 for a piece of rubber. When I bought mine it was somewhere around $20. They know they don't have competition. Search on Ebay "Seal URO 0014300708S" As for installing it with the servo still inside the car, I think it's a very fiddly job and several people commented on the video they couldn't do it. I understand having the clutch pedal in the way makes things even worse. One must absolutely use that piece of cardboard to push the seal sideways while pressing it down with the fingers, without it it's impossible to do it. The other thing is to toss the plunger as needed sideways to increase the gap at the place where the seal is being inserted - otherwise this gap can stay too small and the seal doesn't go in. There a big comment with these tips in comments section.

Last edited by oragex; Jul 15th, 2020 at 23:01.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 21:59   #15
woodways3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodways3 View Post
Too true i gave up after 30 minutes with the Red seal.Ive sent it back its a joke trying to fit ,my advise dont go there with the red seal.waste of money on top of that it took 3 weeks to arrive im still carless.
Im wondering ,ive heard the servo wont come out without lowering the engine.If the brake master cylinder is removed would that allow the servo to come into the engine bay just enough to be able to get both hands onto fitting the seal while the servo is partly out???
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 22:04   #16
woodways3

Quote:
In the US, the complete new servo (brake booster) is not that expensive, but of course, it comes down to replacing it on the RHD cars - engine lowered, etc. There's two part numbers so check the years.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...649491#fitment
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...93673a#fitment

For the URO seal alone, to be fair I think URO is insane asking $40 for a piece of rubber. When I bought mine it was somewhere around $20. They know they don't have competition. Search on Ebay "Seal URO 0014300708S" As for installing it with the servo still inside the car, I think it's a very fiddly job and several people commented on the video they couldn't do it. I understand having the clutch pedal in the way makes things even worse. One must absolutely use that piece of cardboard to push the seal sideways while pressing it down with the fingers, without it it's impossible to do it. The other thing is to toss the plunger as needed sideways to increase the gap at the place where the seal is being inserted - otherwise this gap can stay too small and the seal doesn't go in. There a big comment with these tips in comments section.
Thanks for the info! I just thought if the brake master cylinder was removed would that not allow the servo to come into the engine bay just enough to be able to use both hands to fit the seal???
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 02:39   #17
oragex
Premier Member

I don't have RHD so can't tell about the clearance.. If you try replacing the whole servo, be sure to look at the video where I pull one from the car, it's secured with 4 long studs with crushed nuts, these nuts are a horror to unscrew manually, I used long extensions, a wobble joint, and an electric drill
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 20:12   #18
woodways3

Quote:
I did replace the gray bellow a few times, it is actually easy but indeed I have the automatic: I had to grease the bellow a little inside to have it slide easier, then pressed on it at one place with the index and the thumb together, then while keeping the pressure I 'drew' a circle with these two fingers (each one goes on one side of the bellow) while crushing the bellow in place
By the way, for hissing one must first make sure the large rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column is properly secured to the floor with a large metal ring - otherwise noises from the engine (hissing) can be heard inside the cabin
Mine is an auto .The bellows on mine has quite large slots around the top.So will hear all!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 12:05   #19
woodways3

Quote:
Do you have the URO part number for the 2002 V70 Auto.It seems imposible to get this seal in the UK. The one at the base of the white tube.
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 11:17   #20
woodways3

Default Where to buy the seal ??????

[QUOTE=oragex;2646521]I did replace the gray bellow a few times, it is actually easy but indeed I have the automatic: I had to grease the bellow a little inside to have it slide easier, then pressed on it at one place with the index and the thumb together, then while keeping the pressure I 'drew' a circle with these two fingers (each one goes on one side of the bellow) while crushing the bellow in place
By the way, for hissing one must first make sure the large rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column is properly secured to the floor with a large metal ring - otherwise noises from the engine (hissing) can be heard inside the ca
bin[/QUOT

The question is where did you buy the seal.Im running out of places to try.???