Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil additives.

Views : 3895

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 22:47   #21
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvMan View Post
s60ben,

Not sure why you are antagonistic about this product. All I said it worked for me. By your tone and in depth knowledge of the Volvo warranty, are you a Volvo employee??

My 940 2.4 SE LTP is well out of Warranty. I am naturally inquisitive and so gave it a go.

As to you comment

..."so given Volvo's stance... I hardly think that they have "recommended" Xado have they?"

They must have otherwise they would not have issued their certificate of approval for their oils, which contain the XADO additive. See http://www.xado.co.uk/xado_uk_news_2005.htm.

VM
As tends to be common....

I'm not "antagonistic"... but it's been shown plenty of times, especially in the states where consumer protection has excelled against some of these firms, that they are snake oils...

Use what you want, I really don't care..

However I was stating Volvo's official line on "additives"....

The oil that has been allegedly submitted by XADO for "approval" is precisely that... an OIL.... not an additive... and I'd suspect there is some classic snake oil saleman double speak involved in the "approval"... just enough naff quality on the letters that you can't read it, how strange..... Never mind, time to send "Volvo Technology Corporation" an email

So Xado have a couple of oils approved then... allegedly.... says naff all about their additives...

I'm definitely not a Volvo Employee

Nor am I however a snake oil saleman.

Volvo Technology Corporation eh...

Quote:
Short description of the company
Volvo Technology (VTEC) is an innovation company that develops new technologies and concepts for "hard" as well as "soft" products and processes within the transport and vehicle industry
Quote:
Key factors (busines fields) for the company
• develop telematics systems and services for cars, trucks, busses and boats
Yeah, sounds like the perfect division within Volvo to do snake oil approvals.....

Nice to see the only thread you've EVER posted on is the "snake oil thread".... and seen as it's only fair coz you asked me first...

You don't happen to work for Xado or have any connection to them do you? (no of course you dont!)

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Nov 15th, 2007 at 22:49.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 23:07   #22
s60ben
Master Member

Actually I need to have a real good chat with "volvo technology corporation" the letterhead they've supplied to XADO is really unprofessional and not up to the standards of Volvo.

I mean... you'd think a multi million world wide corporation would be able to have a professional company design their letterheads and ensure that their logo and name etc was centred properly wouldn't you...

Unless of course...... God forbid.... it's not really "Volvo Technology Corporations" official letterheading...

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 16:03   #23
VolvMan
Volvman

Default Oil Additives

s60Ben,

Glad to see you are an active contributor. Yes I am new to the BB. I have a Volvo and take a keen interest in her maintenance. It is my first experience of BB and I am sorry if you feel I have another agenda.

All I was trying to do is share my own experiences - you can take it or leave it , but XADO worked for me and I have gone on to use their engine oils as well.

No I am not a snake oil salesman and I can't comment on their letterhead, perhaps you should contact them and find out.

VM
VolvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 17:01   #24
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Default Oil Additives

Just my two-pennorth. With a background of 34 years in the oil industry and 30 of those in Lubricants, there is, I believe a common stance with vehicle manufacturers and lubricants producers. Engines, gearboxes. final drives, hydraulics et al have designated requirements for lubrication in terms of viscosity, performance level and oil-change intervals. These are arrived at after huge amounts of formulation and testing in a cooperatrive effort between builder and oil producer(s). Oil formulations are put together to suit the application and sometimes the engineering is modified to improve things, ( I was involved with one manufacturers engine which has still not come to market after 12 years. The metallurgy was so off the wall that it could not be successfully lubricated to last more than 15 minutes on a test bed). The relevant oil specs then appear in the handbooks and both the manufacturer and oil suppliers will stand by their products as specified in the correct environment. Once you add anything to the lube oil you lose the backing of both the vehicle manufacturer and the oil producer. You have, in effect, introduced a whole new formulation which no-one has tested and which may, or may not, work as required.

Your best safeguard is to buy the best quality oil - THAT MEETS THE CORRECT SPECS - that you can afford and stick to the manufacturers drain periods............although these tend to be conservative. Why pay £30+ for good oil and then bastardise it with an additive that was never meant to be there and which may be doing more harm than good ?

I'm afraid I'm in the Snake Oil camp on this.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote