Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Excessive smoke (inconsistently)

Views : 4270

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 15:34   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Indeed you must ensure the dipstick shows 3 bars. Never fill the oil higher.
Check, and if too high, take out some oil.

Otherwise my thoughts are, in order:
1. Turbo seals
2. Valve stems
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 10:20   #12
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
What's the colour of the smoke when idling?
Does it smell of oil or brunt diesel.
I don't know how the regeneration system works, unfortunately, but I wonder if the diesel feed to the regen at idle is still letting in diesel, hence knowing the smell may help.
You should be able to read up in Vida how the regen system works, I cannot do that on my Vida as my car doesn't have it, I think it uses the serial number to list the info from the manual, somebody else may be able to confirm I'm wrong.
Are there not any other codes listed?
John
Yes there is an oil smell from the Exhaust no a diesel smell on idol - also when hot after driving and settling at lights to an idol there is smoke on acceleration - a lot...

The colour of this smoke is oily blue.

Going to test drive later and check turbo pressures followed by visual inspection on the induction piping to the turbo to look for oil. If I can identify that the Turbo is faulty then great.

I have a huge journey in 2 weeks time so I don't want the car breaking down.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 10:26   #13
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Indeed you must ensure the dipstick shows 3 bars. Never fill the oil higher.
Check, and if too high, take out some oil.

Otherwise my thoughts are, in order:
1. Turbo seals
2. Valve stems
Would you replace the cartridge your self or buy a refurbed turbo out of interest?
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 10:56   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMB View Post
Would you replace the cartridge your self or buy a refurbed turbo out of interest?
I do not have the tools or the space or the patience to do a turbo replacement myself.

If it ever happened to me, I would give the car to the shop in the morning, and pick it up in the afternoon. And either have them fit a new or a refurbished (good as new) turbo, depending on urgency and price on the day.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 08:48   #15
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Default Oil leak found

So...

I have had the inlet pipes off last night and I have found oil in the pipework between the turbo and the intercooler; the black pipe that comes up from under the engine and then has a rubber hose going into the intercooler.

This pipe should just have carbon on I assume with black exhaust gas soot?

I'm working on the basis therefore that the Turbo is leaking oil and causing my black smoke?

Any comments before I buy a turbo and get dirty?
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 09:31   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The charged air pipe has fresh air only in it. No exhaust.
With a perfect turbo, it would have no oil at all.
A little bit of oil seepage is not unusual, but dripping oil would be bad.

If the oil dripped out, then I would concur with your conclusion that the turbo oil seals are failing

Whilst you have the inlet system apart, clean all pipework as best you can to get rid of the oil.
Even the intercooler, if possible.

It would also be worth removing the EGR valve and inlet pipes post EGR to the inlet system and giving that a clean out as well. If the engine has a few miles under it's belt, the inlet system post EGR may have some coke in it.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Jul 7th, 2020 at 09:36.
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 16:07   #17
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
The charged air pipe has fresh air only in it. No exhaust. With a perfect turbo, it would have no oil at all. A little bit of oil seepage is not unusual, but dripping oil would be bad.

If the oil dripped out, then I would concur with your conclusion that the turbo oil seals are failing
It wasn't dripping but there was fresh oil in the pipe into the intercooler. I wouldn't say it was excessive but there was oil in there.

Quote:
Whilst you have the inlet system apart, clean all pipework as best you can to get rid of the oil.
Even the intercooler, if possible.
I cleaned the pipework from the inlet box into the ERG unit and I removed the butterfly which was caked in crap. I didn't go further as I need to get some new gaskets before I delved in further.

I have sprayed in some carb cleaner which may help clear some rubbish out.

Quote:
It would also be worth removing the EGR valve and inlet pipes post EGR to the inlet system and giving that a cleanout as well. If the engine has a few miles under its belt, the inlet system post EGR may have some coke in it.
My plan is to have the ERG unit and Inlet Manifold cover off so they can be thoroughly cleaned with carb cleaner so I can rule all of this out as a cause for the burning of oil.

Whilst this is all off I will also do the PCV diaphragm.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 08:35   #18
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Default SMOKE update!

So, after more reading and investigation with VIDA and visual checks of the engine I have decided to replace the turbo for the following reasons:

1) Due to the excessive oil in the charge air side (which I believe on advice is excessive).
2) As when revving the engine from 2,000 to 4,000 revs as the engine drops to idol there is sometimes a noise which sounds like it’s from the turbo. It could also be an induction noise but it’s unclear.
3) Although there is no obvious play from the turbo (I don’t know what is excessive and what isn’t), plus it’s difficult to access; once removed I will do a full inspection with photos.

So, as I have a long journey to do on Friday I am going to change the turbo to exclude the possibility of this being an issue. If I’m burning oil because the valve guides and/or rings then I can manage that but I don’t want to turbo blowing up into my engine!

To help understand whether the rings are in issue, before the turbo comes off I also intend to:

1) Complete an engine flush in the oil using molyslip. Once completed, I will:
2) Remove the glow plugs and squirt in seafoam creeper to help decarbonise the rings.

Whilst the seafoam is soaking away I will remove the turbo and clean all the induction pipework.

Once everything is clean I will re-install the turbo and pipework and disconnect the injector electronics so I can crank the engine with the glow plugs out to remove any excess seafoam.

Then it will be a simple case of re-installing the glow plugs and doing a full oil change with filter.

I’ll update everyone on the outcome of this Once I complete it by Tuesday.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 10:39   #19
gmonag
Premier Member

Getting the turbo in and out is a bit tricky. The recommended procedure is to remove the bevel gear to gain access. Some have managed to rotate the engine forward just enough to get it out of the top.
Good luck!
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 11:11   #20
dingov70
Master Member

[QUOTE=SwissXC90;2644330]Glow plugs are only used to start the engine, they have no role whatsoever in the running of the engine, so completely unrelated to your oil problem.

You may have worn oil seals in the turbo, sucking oil into the intake manifold.

Swiss , if this was occurring , it would most likely lead quickly to a runaway engine , as the oil is burnt as unregulated fuel . Oil does get sucked into the inlet side of the turbo as an action of the crank case ventilation system , so oil is always going to be present . My concern / point of interest would be the exhaust turbine seal leaking oil into the downstream pipework and coating the DPF with oil . As things heat up the engine gas temperatures cause the oil to burn off and any that has worked its way through the DPF will then lead to smoke from the tailpipe

NMB I would not use seafoam directly in cylinders , if the rings had stuck you would struggle to start the engine & the blowby would be very obvious . DPF & CAT's are prone to "damage " when unsuitable products are burnt in the engine . The two biggest killers of turbo's are lack of oil changes & switching off after a highspeed run with no time for turbo to slow & cool down . Your description of the smoke after a run & idleing would still make me suspect / inspect the turbo , everything hot , tolerances wider , oil thinner & leaking into hot downstream side of turbo , it's the same as getting a frying pan way too hot & the oil smokes

Tags
oil consumption, smoke, turbo, turbo failure