Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powerklick issue

Views : 840

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 13:48   #1
MattyF

Default Powerklick issue

I have just bought a second hand Powerklick CR (note: not the new CRD2) for my 55 plate S40 2.0D. Fitted it no probs but on my first test run I got the 'Engine System Service Required' message and the yellow triangle. I also hit a huge flatspot at 3000rpm. However, the car was noticeably quicker and more responsive up to 3000rpm.

I adjusted the unit to the highest power setting and found the flatspot was nowhere near as bad but still got the warning.

I am very happy with the performance but have noticed that when the warning comes on, the cruise control no longer works..... If I drive easy, and don't trigger the warning then I can use the cruise control, but as soon as I see the warning, bye bye cruise control (until I turn the engine off and on again).

Anyone else had this problem or got any ideas?

Matt
MattyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 18:03   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I have a powerklick unit on my S60. No problems other than I had to turn it down a fraction when I first fitted it. This was due to it the engine going onto a safe mode when driven hard.
Best of luck
Jim
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:34   #3
MattyF

Cheers Jim C, problem solved. When the unit arrived it was set to about 3/4, I turned it up to full and the problem seemed to improve a bit, but with a bit of testing I've found that everyhting is ok up to about 1/2 on the dial.

Performance is still a big improvement over the standard.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 19:05   #4
s40_kid

I am considering a re-map for my 2.0D. However after looking at the powerclick website I am unsure of which method to opt for.

Can you remove the powerclick whenever you like to put the car back to its original state?

I have heard bad things about the so called tuning boxes but the reviews seem good on the website and the price isn't cheap!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:31   #5
MattyF

re: S40 kid,

I have been running my powerklick for a few weeks now and had no problems since the initial setting up (see above). The unit simply sits between an original connector and socket so can be removed whenever you like (there is also a battery connection but that too is easy to remove).

As for which option to go for, that I guess comes down to money. The performance figures for the RICA are better but the price tag is much steeper ~£600. I got my powerklick second hand for £100 (usually about £300 I think). Thought this was a good stepping stone as I didn't want to splash out £600 for the RICA to find my fuel economy dropping too much.

So far I have found the economy has stayed pretty good (maybe even increased on a long run), and the performance is definitely better. How much is difficult to tell! Returned about 55 mpg on a trip to Scotland the other week, so no harm done there.

Now i'm confident that fuel economy is ok, I'm gonna start saving for the RICA