Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bi-Xenon LHD/RHD change

Views : 2540

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 21:05   #1
Doyler

Question Bi-Xenon LHD/RHD change

Just taken possession of a new V70 with bi-xenon headlights. Will need to change the units for driving on the other side (on return from Brussels). The manual shows that it can be done but I find it hard to identify exactly where the item (presumably the switch unit) is that is shown in the manual picture. Is it hidden such that access requires removal of something else?
Doyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 22:10   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Like the V50 there is a lever in the housing but this doesnt convert RHD to LHD it just blanks the part of the beam which is raised on the left so you have a flat beam across , not ideal at all , it is a temporary measure for continental use .
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 22:24   #3
HeliFella

If it's any help I too had problems on my Saab. The dealership said i'd need to remove the airbox on the one side and the battery on the other to gain access to the levers to alter the beam throw. I had a bash myself and was able to reach into the rear of the enclosure without removing anything but the waterproof covers. On the back of the actual HID bulb is the HV unit. Up the side of this is a thin metal flick switch, which I thought was the retainer of the bulb but infact is the RH/LH adjuster. My units are not Saab own so yours maybe similar. Without offending, if you have larger fingers, it maybe worth asking a girlie to have a go.

HeliFella (Member of I.A.M.)
*2009 V50 D5 R-Design Sport*
...At Last... Definately worth the wait!
HeliFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:15   #4
RossT

Default V50 Lights for continental use

Hi
Can anyone explain to me how you adapt the headlights on the V50 for continental use? The explanation in the manual is hard to follow.
Many thanks
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:18   #5
Hashluck

All I can confirm is that the manual is indeed hard to follow. There is a small lever inside the headlamp housing (and the housing to be fair is easy to remove) but the manual is very unhelpful as to what position they should be in and whether both headlamps should be the same or opposite. The lever is very small metal thing and actually inside the headlamp so you do have to unclip the headlamp cover at the back to access inside. The lever is not external.

When I removed the Bi-Xenon units from my C70 prior to a trip abroad the lamps were set the opposite to how I was expecting them to be for RHD according to the manual!

At that time (middle of summer) we realised we had never driven the car at night so did not know how well the headlamps did or did not perform but the car was brand new so I expected them to be correctly factory set for RHD. Local dealer was not very helpful just referring me to the manual.

In any case I reversed both settings for our trip and found I barely had any light at all on the autobahns at night which was both dangerous and tiring. I reversed the settings back which helped a bit but was still not great. When I got back the car went into have headlamp alignment checked and the dealer ended up changing at least one, maybe both, units under warranty as they would not align correctly!

I am non the wiser on the correct lever settings and havenot travelled abroad again since.

Prior to this I never used to bother changing settings or masking lamps going abroad and never ever got flashed or stopped. I only tried it on the C70 because I could and it was supposed to be 'easy'
Hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hashluck For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 16:05   #6
dodgyken
Master Member

The new V70 is quite easy IMHO.

1) Remove the 2 holding stakes.

2) slide out the headlight unit

3) Unclip retaining clip - metal things across the back

4) Use stake to unclip the back of the unit.

5) move lever to the other position

6) Reverse steps 4-1

It did take me a long time the first time I did it - but I can now do both sides in around 5 minutes.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 18:59   #7
Doyler

Default Great !

Many thanks to Dodgyken - this gives pretty clear detail on how to get the change. I'll now be happy to try it before the next trip.
Doyler is offline   Reply With Quote