Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Miss my 940

Views : 524

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 08:29   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Miss my 940

So my poor 940 has been laid up two weeks now while I change jobs and get in to a dirty diseasel Skoda Fabia VRS... I miss the 940 soooo much already it's untrue! So glad I didn't sell it.

Problems with the Fabia so far after two weeks:

Battery died, I turned the car off in a traffic jam and then it wouldn't start so I was 2 hours late to work! Thankfully two guys stopped and helped push it in to a layby.

Thermostat has died meaning it struggles to get up to temperature drastically reducing my MPG.

Changed the cambelt, waterpump etc and found whoever did it last didn't tighten the engine mount properly!!!

One boost hose has decided to permanently be fixed to the EGR valve meaning getting the top cambelt cover on/off was a squeeze.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 09:54   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Thermostat has died meaning it struggles to get up to temperature drastically reducing my MPG.
Stop-gap measure Luke - find a cardboard box, unfold it and slide it in front of the radiator to blank it off. Not sure if you have one or twocooling fans on the Skoda, if you hvae two, only cover the part of the radiator where the secondary fan is and if it's only one, only cover the part not covered by the fan.

If for some odd reason there is only one fan and that covers the whole of the radiator, cover the bottom half.

You can see the point i'm getting at, restricting air flow through the rad to improve warm up but leaving a bit for natural and/or fan-assisted cooling.

Should make life warmer for you and improve your mpg until you can renew the 'stat. The beauty of using cardboard is firstly it's free, secondly if for some reason it does start to overheat (unlikely at the moment!), you can stop and whip the cardboard out in a matter of seconds.

It's a trick i've used for 30+ years in the winter, especially in cars with a weak/lazy 'stat and sometimes even on cars with good 'stats as well, particularly on shorter journeys. Never had an overheat or any other problems from doing this except during very wet times when the cardboard has got soggy and fallen apart!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:30   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Second that, 'L.S.'; sound advice. I've used cardboard in the past myself but it does go soggy very quickly! Better, I found was a piece of hardboard cut to size. Better still, a custom radiator muff/blind with adjustable flaps, no less!

I remember the likes of Halfords selling these in the '60s and also inherited one on a '57 Wolseley 1500 I once owned. (I've even removed the fan completely on a thermo-syphon Ford in the depths of winter with no ill-effects.) Today, radiators are much smaller and cars so much more finely tuned that one would need to keep a very close eye indeed on the temperature gauge if contemplating such action.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:59   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Second that, 'L.S.'; sound advice. I've used cardboard in the past myself but it does go soggy very quickly! Better, I found was a piece of hardboard cut to size. Better still, a custom radiator muff/blind with adjustable flaps, no less!

I remember the likes of Halfords selling these in the '60s and also inherited one on a '57 Wolseley 1500 I once owned. (I've even removed the fan completely on a thermo-syphon Ford in the depths of winter with no ill-effects.) Today, radiators are much smaller and cars so much more finely tuned that one would need to keep a very close eye indeed on the temperature gauge if contemplating such action.

Regards, John.
Thanks John, i remember seeing radiator blinds in car magazines when i was just a pup - my brother was much older than me so i'd find his stash of car mags and would read them.
The top, expensive radiator blinds were in fact small Venetian blinds so could be left on all year round and the amount of blanking varied with a knob on the dashboard to alter the angle of the blind "blades" for full blanking to no blanking.

Radiators are much smaller etc as you rightly point out but as Lukes Skoda is a diseasel, it will still have a fairly large cooling system in comparison to a petrol counterpart. About 30 years ago i had a diseasel Astra van (company van) and in winter i used to slide cardboard in front of the rad, no problems ever and it was always warm and toasty inside.
It was only about 2 years old at the time and had a head rebuild including new injectors, gaskets etc including a new 'stat just before i took it over so warmed up fairly quickly - in winter though not so good! Hence the cardboard!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:46   #5
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Second that, 'L.S.'; sound advice. I've used cardboard in the past myself but it does go soggy very quickly! Better, I found was a piece of hardboard cut to size.
Hi Luke,

I've got some corrugated/fluted plastic which is totally water proof. Let me know if you want some.

Kev
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 21:57   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Thanks for the advice gents, I may well take you up on that offer Kev. I will have a measure up and see how much room I have to play with as with all modern cars it's very tight in the engine bay. BTW there is an actual Bentley T2 at work a drop head Corniche and a 1934 Wraith at the moment.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 23:02   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice gents, I may well take you up on that offer Kev. I will have a measure up and see how much room I have to play with as with all modern cars it's very tight in the engine bay. BTW there is an actual Bentley T2 at work a drop head Corniche and a 1934 Wraith at the moment.
A Bentley T2 and a drop-head Corniche? Couple of spares Crank Position Sensors going begging then!

As for the 1934 Wraith, you'll be lucky if that has points and condensor instead of a magneto! Sure the 1927 Ghost i worked on was points and condensor though.

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 17:00   #8
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
....Bentley T2....
Nearly as rare as that Silver Shadow MPW FHC I saw.....
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post: