Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3 Million Reasons to Believe

Views : 4028

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 15:34   #1
Derek UK
VOC Member

Talking 3 Million Reasons to Believe

Not exactly a press release but the advert won't get a showing in the UK. Irv is nearly at the 3 million miles, not long to go now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wog7O...ature=youtu.be

The 1800E owner is Art Banks, another Volvo stalwart and a friend of Irv's for over 30 years.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 22:25   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Cool film, however as one of the comments on youtube puts it, "Three Million reasons to buy an OLD Volvo."

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 18:37   #3
heyskull
Heyskull

It's a bit like the only fools and horses episode when Triggers asked about his brush...

"How long you had that brush now Trigger"? Twelve years Del but it`s had seven new handles and ten new heads....

How many engine blocks, heads, gearboxes, panels etc. etc.... the list goes on, have been used to keep this car alive?!!!
I know he says " the Volvo's engine is all original, and has been rebuilt only twice in its run. Normal pieces that fall victim to wear have been swapped out, but the big stuff — including the transmission and rear-end — remain as it was from the dealership."
are frankly unbelievable.

What were Volvo making cars from in the 60s Unobtainian?
If so why has so many others not survived?

Honestly though, I think it impossible for any machine to go this far without a lot of maintenance, I mean look at the thing it's immaculate!
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 22:43   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

I wonder what they will give him this times? He received a 740 at 1m and I think it was a c70 at 2m. A V40 would be fitting I think.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 17:30   #5
chrisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Not exactly a press release but the advert won't get a showing in the UK. Irv is nearly at the 3 million miles, not long to go now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wog7O...ature=youtu.be

The 1800E owner is Art Banks, another Volvo stalwart and a friend of Irv's for over 30 years.

...and none of the current Volvo models will have 3million miles...

That heritage of great craftsmanship and quality is long gone. I have friends with S80 - 12 and 13 models and had more problems than any other model. I think this is the current thingie withe all new cars.
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 23:40   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
It's a bit like the only fools and horses episode when Triggers asked about his brush...

"How long you had that brush now Trigger"? Twelve years Del but it`s had seven new handles and ten new heads....

How many engine blocks, heads, gearboxes, panels etc. etc.... the list goes on, have been used to keep this car alive?!!!
I know he says " the Volvo's engine is all original, and has been rebuilt only twice in its run. Normal pieces that fall victim to wear have been swapped out, but the big stuff — including the transmission and rear-end — remain as it was from the dealership."
are frankly unbelievable.

What were Volvo making cars from in the 60s Unobtainian?
If so why has so many others not survived?

Honestly though, I think it impossible for any machine to go this far without a lot of maintenance, I mean look at the thing it's immaculate!
It is no triggers brush,

the first engine build was not needed at all. Even if used for UK type road use the block would still be good but would more likely have needed a couple of rebores now. Most of his miles are constant speed and straight motorway so there is only minimal wear to any component.

Yes lost of seals, ingnition components etc will have been replaced many times but the bulk of the car is still original.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 15:17   #7
t5_andy
Trader

...and to think I was excited about hitting 250k this month, at Irv's rate of clocking up the miles I should be over 950k by now!

Nice video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250k.jpg (122.7 KB, 9 views)

www.rollupandshine.com

Enter VOC5 at the checkout for 5% discount on everything.
t5_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 10:22   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Talking

Irv Gordon and his 1800 clicked over the 3 million mile mark today in Anchorage Alaska. Congratulations Irv, that's the way to roll.

More here. http://volvocars.3millionreasons.com/irv

From Yahoo 1800 Group

Re: Today's the day
Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Irv Gordon" miln2miler
Thanks all....just turned 3 million 5 minutes ago. Now 3,000,002 miles!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Irv Gordon" miln2miler
Little Red was right where it belonged thru the whole procedure. I am still in the middle of a photo shoot recording all for posterity.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Irv Gordon" miln2miler
Thanks so much Ernie. It's been a long day documenting it all. It's now 10 PM and we just got back to out hotel! Glad this doesn't happen too often...LOL

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Irv Gordon" miln2miler
Thanks Glen. I have been told my car will be shipped back home so that it will arrive on the Friday night before the Saturday at Rockleigh. I might not have time to wash and wax it as it has gotten filthy up here in Anchorage. However my 1800 will have a brand new 3,000,000 mile badge right in the center of it's grille. See you there.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:39   #9
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think it has had quite two extensive bodywork restorations, but relatively little work mechanically. In fairness, the old iron engines are incredibly tough. There was an article in a classic mag a few months ago about whether the redblock might be, pound for pound, the toughest/strongest engine ever made. I have taken components to engineering firms who have been astounded by how hard the materials are, compared with what they're used to dealing with.

Interestingly, touch wood, my 2005 V70 D5 (with 275k on the clock) shows little or no sign of mechanical wear. I replaced a wishbone earlier this year because of a failed bushing. It was original, and had about 260k on it. I've had to replace them on 240s and 740s much earlier. The 5 speed gearbox which came out 10k ago (swapped for a 6 speed) also showed no notable signs of wear. The injectors wore out, but it's running much more happily now they've been replaced. I'm not convinced that the newer cars aren't as tough. Maybe the really new stuff isn't so well screwed together, but I think the D5 might just be the best built Volvo I've owned, and I've had a few.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 13:52   #10
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

My first S60 & Irv's 1800 at Gaydon in 2002. Guess which one is no longer on the road?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023_20.jpg (177.1 KB, 18 views)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote