Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 B18 Alternator conversion

Views : 1777

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 02:53   #1
65 Canadian

Default 1965 B18 Alternator conversion

Hello friends,
And greetings from Canada.
The previous owner of my 1965 Volvo Amazon had a mechanic,who for reasons unknown ground out the holes of both the Generator and bracket.
Long story short - both are buggered and lining up the pulley's is tricky to say the least.
I've decided to convert to a alternator set up.
Its a early version B18 so I've ordered the conversion bracket.
My question is ?
What alternator to choose ?
And I need a little help with that one.
I don't plan on running a big sound system.
In fact the only thing I plan on adding is fog lights.
I'm hoping someone can suggest a proper amp alternator.
That will boost the amps enough for my needs, and be reliable charging the battery.
Without having to change anything concerning the fuse box.
Also is it better to go with the internal voltage regulator.
Or go with a external voltage regulator set up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Shayne
65 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 13:06   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Shayne;

" for reasons unknown ground out the holes of both the Generator and bracket." ...the simple reason is likely that they were worn oval by themselves (typical!), and were enlarged to fit larger pivot bolts.

"I've ordered the conversion bracket." ..."What alternator to choose ?" ...this is a function of which bracket...Bosch or Delco...I don't believe you ordered it from me (suitable for Delco), because if you did, general Alt requirements plus PN recommendations would be included with installation instructions (a good conversion kit, IMO, would not leave one hanging and on their own...!)

"...big sound system." ...anything reasonable (like up to a couple of hundred Watts) will not draw any increased current high enough to impact conversion Alt output...

"...fog lights." ...in the conversion I offer, I recommend going to a ~60A rated Alt (not higher!). This will power significant loads (like 2X55W, notice the Wattage total here is in the similar range of the sound sys also!), still have plenty of output with which to keep Bat well charged, but still have good reliability. (As a reference: 12V X 60A = 720W)

"...fuse box." ...it is always recommended when increasing the current which can flow, to refurbish or at the very least check FB for corrosion and voltage drops, which will cause I2R heating...doing anything less (or nothing at all) is setting the situation up for failure of next weakest link!

"...internal voltage regulator. ...or external..." ...any Alt worth installing when doing a conversion, whether Bosch or Delco, will have an internal VReg...do not even consider an Alt with ext. VReg!

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/altkit.htm

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Dec 11th, 2019 at 14:26.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 02:19   #3
65 Canadian

Thanks Ron,
I appreciate the great advice, and info you supplied here.
I've emailed my parts guy at vintage import parts to see the compatibility of the bracket.
And may be in touch.
Thanks again.
Shayne
65 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 22:50   #4
richo122
neophyte 122s owner

Used a new OMX Diahatsu G10 45amp internal reg. alternator, 3" x 7/16" UNC bolt for the bottom mount, machined some spacers, used the stock alternator bracket and a 11A0865 belt.
Wiring only modified to run the IGN exciter wire up to the fused (left) side of the fuse box, otherwise stock wiring utilised.
Used some of Ron Kwas' excellent paste and thoroughly cleaned the fuse box.
Were I literate enough to post photos, I would.

Last edited by richo122; Dec 13th, 2019 at 23:54. Reason: detail
richo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richo122 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 14:59   #5
jimbo1593
Master Member

regarding the alternator issue.
Probably one for Ron.

I think the idle on my amazon is worse since fitting a 55A alt vs the dyna on my friends amazon. Under load, say rear screen heater, lights and wipers, revs really drop as the alt loads up. not so much on the dyna car, at the expense of flatting the battery i presume.

What do you think Ron?
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 21:15   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jim;

I can immediately think of two ways an Alt might affect the Idle...
1...electrically, somehow, in that lack of output is decreasing the buss voltage as the Bat goes flat, which would in-turn make itself known through Ign issues (AMP Ind ON and other indications nowithstanding...)...but that is pretty unlikely in your case...most of the time the Alt serves to pull the buss V up with its output, so again, any elec effects would be rare and wierd and unlikely... and...
2...mechanically, in that whatever additional elec load(s) are ON result in additional current being drawn from Alt, which in-turn reflects this mechanically onto the driving belt, and in-turn Crankshaft...so I would not be surprised if you're drawing a high Alt output current to run a big elec load (like your rear screen heater), it might very well noticeably affect the Idle.
...note that before an Alt with a higher output capability was installed, and big elec loads were beyond what Gen was able to supply, that current was supplied by Bat, and so was not a load which was reflected on the Generator or Crankshaft or Idle...

If during high elec Loads is the only time you are noticing this, you can simply tickle your Idle speed up just a touch at the Carb(s) to compensate, (or do this manually with your foot on the throttle)...otherwise, just understand that it is quite a normal symptom of what is happening and nothing to be concerned about. If the idle is dropping to the point of stalling the engine, it might be adjusted a touch lean at idle also...

I expect in military versions like the BV202, where vehicle might be static and engine might be run to supply the communication suite, they would have a high idle control, similar to what civilian versions have with the Choke...(but without simultaneous enrichment, as it is not needed). The BV engine at idle is WAY out of its optimum load range and so cannot supply as much power as the comm suite might need...

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 18:40   #7
jimbo1593
Master Member

thx Ron, helpful as ever.
part of the prob is i run a K cam, so the idle doesn't like to run too low, i'm not yeg decided if I will revert to C cam at some point.
tempted to say that if dynamo was still fitted i would prefer having to charge battery every so often and not have revs dropping.
just me i guess.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 20:46   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

...that would be the reason to increase the Idle setting...
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 17:31   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Basically, if the red light is out it's charging. I would do some checking with a volt meter/ multimeter on how the charging rate varies with revs under increasing loads as you switch things on. In theory everything runs off the battery when fully charged, and the generator, dynamo or alternator, tops it up as needed. Consider it to be a water tank that needs topping up as required as you use up the water. Maybe the battery is past it's best? Check and clean the earth lead to body connection as well as the positive lead at the starter. Clean the battery connections. A 900-950 rpm idle should be fine.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 23:34   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

"everything runs off the battery when fully charged, and the generator, dynamo or alternator, tops it up as needed." I must try to adjust your understanding of this a bit (...a nice way of saying I disagree with this general assertion, but I'll try to explain)...because the Voltage of even a fully charged Battery will (almost) never (under normal operating conditions) be as high as the output Voltage of the Alternator (Chg Sys), and since voltage differences always determine which direction current flows, the source with highest voltage in the Vehicles Elec Sys will source power for loads, and that is normally the Chg Sys.
The "H" diagram may help to understand this:

...notice direction of current at gauge can be Charge or Discharge, and it is the voltage of the two sources in the system which determines this direction...the source (Cheg Sys OR Bat) with the highest voltage will supply power to the Loads...and as I note earlier, that is typically the Chg Sys/Alt...BUT if for instance Chg Sys output is low because RPMs are low, or Loads are so high that Alt output is insufficient to power all loads, its voltage will drop to near that of the Bat, so Bat will start to contribute...what I mean to note by this is that this is not a hard switching point but a gradual, one supplying, then the other sharing, then the other fully supplying, occurrence...

Hope that helps, Cheers and Merry Christmas!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: