Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what dealer ?

Views : 2163

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2019, 19:44   #11
XCeed

Just to be clear, if you buy a car that is six months old, a demonstrator say, would you expect the services to be due on the anniversaries of the car’s registration or the anniversaries of a customer’s purchase date?
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 23:46   #12
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Just to be clear, if you buy a car that is six months old, a demonstrator say, would you expect the services to be due on the anniversaries of the car’s registration or the anniversaries of a customer’s purchase date?
Interesting question, I'd assume the dealer wouldn't service it at that age so would be when it reaches 12 months since registration or 1st time it was started.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 23:51   #13
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Neither. The service would be due in 6 months time when it becomes a year old.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:26   #14
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I once bought a demonstrator that was 18 months old - it had sat in the showroom for 12 months before being registered, then sat on the forecourt for a further 6 months before I bought it.

It came up due the first service after I'd had it 6 months, i.e. 12 months after it had been officially commissioned and registered - the date of manufacture / delivery had no bearing on it at all. HTH.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 02:43   #15
mpeng82

Firstly in regards to the dealership in Bury, i would just put this down to them seeing their arse. That you choose to use another dealership and them having the mindset, that any issues go back to where you purchased it from, as it may only be 30seconds to sort but what if the next problem is 30 minutes and you need help.

Now i personally would say the majority of consumers can understand that point and simply should just come down to good customer service.

Don't take their service personally. I recently looked to buy a car from Bury who is not my local dealership. I explained to them why i was there, what i was looking for and i was told to go and look on their website and let them know my thoughts. So, i looked, i then emailed the sales rep from the card he gave me, then had no reply so went elsewhere.

When i made a point of complaining about the poor service i was given the excuse that he was on leave for a week, however this was not true as when i attempted to call whilst awaiting a reply i was informed he was busy with other customers and i waited a fortnight for a reply regardless.

In terms of servicing, when purchasing used cars in the past from dealerships, i have always asked about next service date and if due within a year i have also had them to agree to pick up the costs.

Servicing can be done at cost at a dealership and as such for them to waive this to sell a car is simply good mathematics and good service.

The same with Tyres...... many dealerships will reduce the value of a car if you sell them a car with low tread, so i do the same should i buy used.

During inspection i get them to record the treads for each wheel and if low i get them to replace as part of the sale. Again why would i want to buy a car to replace tyres 6 months down the line.

Buyers need to remember that genuinely there is not just one car available in the UK to met your needs and as such, don't be worried about walking away.

I am driven by customer service over cost of a car. I would rather pay slightly more knowing that i have a good relationship with a dealer who i may need for several years rather then pay less but have a poor relationship.

This also plays into retention, at some point my car will be exchanged, if the dealership has treated me well then i have no desire to move and less likely to shop around.

Proof in pudding i have walked away from a deal which would have saved me £14pm over 4 years (£672) because of poor service.

(sorry for going off subject)
mpeng82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpeng82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 13:02   #16
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Or looked at from another perspective, you bought from Clive Brooks and you wonder why Hatfields are not jumping at the chance to sort it out, a bit like buying Heinz Ketchup from Sainsbury's and wondering why Tesco's don't want to deal with your complaint.
What an irrelevant analogy, by your logic the OP was trying to get a Ford car service reminder reset at a Volvo dealer, he has a Volvo. Not only that but all dealers are ambassadors for the brand, irrespective of what other dealer you've used. Also, the OP had spent a considerable amount of money with them recently. Sure, the dealer has the right to refuse service, but two minutes work purely as a courtesy would be all it would've taken. The actions of that dealer would not have made me want to use them again TBH.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post: