Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are there any really tall drivers here?

Views : 1873

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2017, 10:03   #1
cjacek

Question Are there any really tall drivers here?

Hi,
I'd like to pose this question to members who are around my height 198 cm or 6' 5" (long legs and long torso) and have driven the 940 (and maybe also the 850), the two cars that I have interest in but have not actually sat in either. And before I start bothering sellers on the local classifieds to check out their cars, I'd like to get some of your opinions as to the size of the driver's side interior space for the 940 and also how it compares to the 850. If the two are equal in "space" then my preference would be the 940 but if the 850 has more room, then I'd go there. I of course would opt out of the sunroof option as it robs head space. Anyway, I'd really like to get your thoughts on this. I've asked on another forum but unfortunately didn't get any replies and the one that I did receive told me to "sit in the car that interests you" to see for myself. Good advice but I'm hoping for some help before I decide to do that. Thanks for any and all replies,
Dan
cjacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 10:13   #2
steve howes
Premier Member

I'm only a short arse but my nephew is about 6 4 and he sits in my 940 quite comfortably. I took him on a long trip a few days ago and he got out relaxed . It seems bigger inside than my old 850 but it would be better to ask someone who has got one . Cheers steve
steve howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 10:13   #3
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

It's your lucky day, I'm 202cm/6'8".

I've never sat in an 850 so can't say anything about that, but my 740 needed the sunroof removed so that I could actually sit up straight. Also, depending on your proportions you may need to make modifications to the seat rails - mine had split pins in that stopped it moving all the way back, once I knocked those out it was much more comfortable.

A final thing to note is that the headrest on the seats is non-adjustable. It's just about OK for me but if I fully sit up straight, the bottom of it digs into my neck and shoulders a little. Ideally I want to change the driver's seat to something more comfortable, but I have to find the right seat.

If the 940 100% doesn't have a sunroof (some have a solid panel that retracts and isn't particularly visible in photos), I'd say it's worth sitting in for sure.
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 10:21   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Im tall had no problem with an 850. avoid any cars with sun roofs they always take up valuable headroom .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 11:46   #5
rustytoba
Master Member

A good thread,

I myself am only 5'11" however my best friend from school is 6'11" and the only car of mine he has ever been able to drive comfortably was my 740 and as pointed out a car with a sunroof does have less head room as he seemed completely scuppered when it came my 760 fitted with a sunroof and for some reason my 240 just has far too little leg room.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 12:24   #6
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Lower the seat

I am just over 6'8" myself and quite comfortable in my 940. No sunroof, taken out the rubber bump stops at the rear end of the seat rails and lowered the springs in the seat as recommended by Volvo.
Not sure if you can adjust the steering wheel in an 850 (you cannot in a 940).
I have driven a 940 with sunroof for a day and I don't remember the sunroof bothered me. On the other hand, years ago I was in the passenger seat of an early 850 for two days and I still remember how annoying the sunroof in that car was.
Car manufacturers generally take the 90% average driver into account, leaving out the 5% taller and 5% smaller. In the 7-940 design days this was something like 1.92 m. I have the impression that more recently designed cars take taller drivers into account than in the past, as I can usually sit reasonably well in any modern (rental) car.
Also remember that tall are not all the same, some have long legs and shorter torso or vice versa. I would just try the 850 and 940 for size if you have the opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanka_stolsram.jpg (125.9 KB, 25 views)
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 23:52   #7
cjacek

Thank you very much to all who have replied so far. The take away is no sunroof and it's worth trying out a 940 too. Please keep the comments coming. By the way nice tip about the springs and rubber stops. Thanks again to all.
cjacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 06:42   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I don't know if this will be much help but the roofline of the 850 has always seemed lower to me than that of the 940 and before that the 7xx models.
It's possible the seat is mounted lower in the car so that headroom would be the same between the two cars which might be another consideration for you.

Although i'm not that tall i sometimes find the seats are a bit low to get into so could be worth checking out as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 08:53   #9
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

It's possible the floor is lower in the 850. In the 700/900 models the floor is almost level with the sills, but it more modern cars with the same sill line, the floor is quite a bit below the sills.
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe of Loath For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 22:01   #10
Volvophile
Premier Member

I'm 6 ft 4 in and have experience of both 850 (plus its derivatives) as well as the 940. I find the latter car to be inferior for accommodating taller drivers, particularly when a sunroof is fitted. It feels as if you are sitting very high in the car and above the window sills.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote