Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7571

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2019, 23:06   #171
atco

Default fuel pump

mmmmmmm yes
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 22:35   #172
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've had a horrible thought. Have you ever removed, disconnected or otherwise distrubed the pipes on the fuel tank sender/pump unit flange? These are the pipes i mean :

One is temporarily removed in the photo and the other one on the stub immediately below the exposed stub are the two i'm worried about.

Have you ever touched them?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jun 9th, 2019 at 22:41. Reason: More info
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 07:59   #173
atco

Default fuel pump

no dave i havent .just cant work it out .the new pump has packed up under the car again but managed to get one from the manufacture under warranty so ive changed that over last night .probable packed up because there is no fuel getting thro .relay is working as it shood on the turn of the key but just havent been able to here the pump running under the car.will try again today and keep you informed.just thinking about that intank pump tho
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:04   #174
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
no dave i havent .just cant work it out .the new pump has packed up under the car again but managed to get one from the manufacture under warranty so ive changed that over last night .probable packed up because there is no fuel getting thro .relay is working as it shood on the turn of the key but just havent been able to here the pump running under the car.will try again today and keep you informed.just thinking about that intank pump tho

You need to read this and understand at least the system-level operation of the K fuel system.

It will be worth your while - its now almost 10 months since your car stopped, and throwing bits at it and making uninformed guesses has not resulted in any forward motion.

Its now time to admit that well-intended ignorance is still ignorance.

Also, you need some test equipment. A DVM (even a cheap one will be ok) and, ideally, a fuel pressure gauge will greatly increase your chance of success. Trying to fix the problem without these is like trying to find a black cat in a coal mine without a flashlight.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:54   #175
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Are you sure you connected the electrical connections the right way round? A car will still start and run usually, even if the in-tank pimp isn't workign as long as the main, underbody pump is working.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 11:25   #176
aardvarkash10
Master Member

by my count, this is pump #3.

I don't think its the pump. The bloody car hasn't moved, the pump has shifted less than a litre of fuel in this time. Even run dry - completely dry - in that amount of time its not going to do huge damage.

So the problem here is not likely to be the pump, especially given that it appears that only a day or so ago it produced enough flow and pressure to at least start the vehicle.

The problem here is we are playing blind man's buff.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:38   #177
atco

Default fuel pump

and just how do you get those lovely photos up mate ive tryed but failed
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 13:01   #178
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
and just how do you get those lovely photos up mate ive tryed but failed
Go to https://postimages.org/

Once signed in to your postimages account, click the "Upload" button.

Follow the instructions for uploading from your computer.

**TIP** to upload multiple photos, hold the "CTRL" button down while clicking the photos with your mouse to select several images on your computer, once done hit the "Open" button, usually top right and let the photos upload to your album in postimages.

Now, to put a pic in your post, get the cursor to where you want the pic to be, switch tabs to postimages andhover your mouse over the image you want to add. Click the "Share" icon :

and a list of links will appear, each with a blue button at the end.

Choose the one that says "Hotlink for forums" and click the blue button at the end of the line. It will briefly change to "Copied".

Now switch tabs back to the post you're doing, click on the cursor positon, then right click your mouse, when the options come up on the screen, click "Paste" then hit return on the keyboard twice, first gets you onto the next line, next one inserts a blank line to make it easier to read the next line of text.

The rest you'll have to find through trial and error and playing but that will get you started.

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 18:50   #179
atco

Default fuel pump

yes i think the pump wires are the right way around .the pink is + the black is-.but the connections are slightly diff due to the sizes so its not possible the little 8m nut is not going to go on the 9m nut
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 19:52   #180
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
yes i think the pump wires are the right way around .the pink is + the black is-.but the connections are slightly diff due to the sizes so its not possible the little 8m nut is not going to go on the 9m nut
What about on the underbody pump?

Are you talking about the in-tank pump all the time? If so, it sounds as if the underbody pump isn't doing what it should.