Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Supermarket fuel

Views : 4147

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:02   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

As a sidenote ... why in these technological days does the user not get a choice between litres and gallons? Even my wife's kitchen scales seem to be able to manage with both systems at her choice.
That's down to the EU forcing us to adopt metric weights and measures as our only legal way of selling things. I can't remember how beer escaped or milk but milk has gradually gone over to metric with the Imperial equivalent added.
That's why you can buy a kilo of spuds but not 2lb of spuds.

As for your local Asda filling station, do they sell oil, bulbs etc in the main store? If so, they have got round the legal requirement as it's on the same site.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 09:56   #42
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Update.

I've run the daily driver, a Mondeo 1.6 diesel estate, on Sainsbury's own-label diesel and found that:
a) the pump cuts off before the tank is full; Fomoco advise no more than 2 "clicks" to brimming. This left the gauge approximately a gallon short of full.
b) the average fuel consumption display, after being zero-ed on fill-up, suggested 47mpg with a mix of 50:50 Sainsbury's/BP diesel.
c) the estimated range to empty was 700 miles.
After refuelling with BP diesel:
a) the second "click" results in the gauge reading full;
b) the average fuel consumption display suggests 50.something mpg, again after being zero-ed on fill-up.
c)the estimated range to empty is 760 miles.
My driving is over a pretty well identical route 5 days a week.
Previously, on BP the range was around 800 miles tankful-to-tankful.
I don't have a Shell garage on my commute, and the only other supermarket petrol stations all require a detour or setting off early to use.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:01   #43
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Sounds like the extra miles to empty is simply accounted for by the fact you put more in at BP.

The range to empty, assuming Ford use a similar system to Volvo, is based on the last 20 miles or so of driving so after you have just filled up is based on the previous fuel.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:25   #44
Harvey1512
Premier Member

The pump cutting out can by symptomatic of that site. We have a Shell garage near to me, it was a Jet garage previously. The pumps at that garage always cut out early and leave the gauge short of full. It did it when it was Jet, it does it now it is Shell. It is not the fuel, it is an issue with the pump.

I also fill up occasionally at Sainsburys, it is next to a cinema that I go to and so is very handy. If I fill up there it cuts out and the needle shows full.

The 60 miles difference could simply be the gap between the click on the Sainsburys pump and the click on the BP one. You are putting more fuel in from BP, it sends the car further. That is logical isn't it?
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:09   #45
canis
Non Fragile

Even the pumps in the same petrol station can vary. Try filling the same 5L can, some pumps somehow manage to squeeze more than six in!

And before anyone starts saying "That can't happen!", of course it can. Little tweaks when nobody's watching. And it's no wonder when our fuel is so heavilly taxed in this country. The stations only earn about a penny a litre. It's disgusting how we're taxed in this country. But you'll all vote for lower income tax next election, I bet, and then be robbed in the price of your goods instead.

Go ahead, calculate your fuel to the n'th degree. That's not where the wallet heammorage is occuring.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 09:33   #46
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've run the daily driver, a Mondeo 1.6 diesel estate, on Sainsbury's own-label diesel and found that:
a) the pump cuts off before the tank is full; Fomoco advise no more than 2 "clicks" to brimming. This left the gauge approximately a gallon short of full.
b) the average fuel consumption display, after being zero-ed on fill-up, suggested 47mpg with a mix of 50:50 Sainsbury's/BP diesel.
c) the estimated range to empty was 700 miles.
After refuelling with BP diesel:
a) the second "click" results in the gauge reading full;
b) the average fuel consumption display suggests 50.something mpg, again after being zero-ed on fill-up.
c)the estimated range to empty is 760 miles.
My driving is over a pretty well identical route 5 days a week.
Previously, on BP the range was around 800 miles tankful-to-tankful.
I don't have a Shell garage on my commute, and the only other supermarket petrol stations all require a detour or setting off early to use.
Interestingly, the range to empty has now increased to 815 miles, suggesting that the Mondeo has a greater liking for the Sainsbury's stuff - a 14% change is substantial. Assuming that the Sainsbury's fill-up was 2 gallons low this would be reasonable but I suspect that it is only about a gallon low so the change is around 7%, compared to a price difference of 4%.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:30   #47
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Even the pumps in the same petrol station can vary. Try filling the same 5L can, some pumps somehow manage to squeeze more than six in!

And before anyone starts saying "That can't happen!", of course it can. Little tweaks when nobody's watching. And it's no wonder when our fuel is so heavilly taxed in this country. The stations only earn about a penny a litre. It's disgusting how we're taxed in this country. But you'll all vote for lower income tax next election, I bet, and then be robbed in the price of your goods instead.

Go ahead, calculate your fuel to the n'th degree. That's not where the wallet heammorage is occuring.
5l cans are a nominal capacity based on the temp of the fuel & to allow for expansion so yes on a cold day you may squeeze 6l in but then leaving the tank full & letting it get warm could end up with it leaking.

Garages have their pumps tested by trading standards & can be heavily fined in the event of pump's dispensing less than the indicated fuel. IIRC the tests are also random & the garage isn't pre-warned.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:26   #48
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is a tiny 0.00083 per degree Celsius, so it's probably not temperature related. Pump calibration will have a tolerance and I'm guessing that this tolerance is actually quite high?

As a matter of some urgency I recently had to fill my tank with cheap Co-op diesel of unknown origin instead of the usual BP Ultimate. After a 400 mile round trip the MPG is significantly better than usual.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 13:57   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is a tiny 0.00083 per degree Celsius, so it's probably not temperature related. Pump calibration will have a tolerance and I'm guessing that this tolerance is actually quite high?

As a matter of some urgency I recently had to fill my tank with cheap Co-op diesel of unknown origin instead of the usual BP Ultimate. After a 400 mile round trip the MPG is significantly better than usual.
Chances are the 400 mile round trip was what caused the increase and not the fuel.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 19:03   #50
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Chances are the 400 mile round trip was what caused the increase and not the fuel.
As a now very odd looking looking Welsh bloke once sang, it's not unusual! It's a journey I often do and so was comparing like-with-like, at least within reason (certain variables such as temperature, air pressure, humidity and head/tail wind were obviously beyond my control). However it did contradict my expectation that the lower cetane rating would knock a few mpg off the usual figure. I do sometimes wonder if the greater volume of 'cleaning additives' that some fuels claim to contain do adversely affect mpg, presumably by displacing an equal volume of fuel?